Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2013, 10:03   #376

Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What the person said was that it's smart to stand while at the helm sailing in difficult conditions. The reference was to boats with wheels and he pointed out that you'll feel things through your feet the way you feel things through the tiller.

I don't think anyone said that anyone on watch has to stand.
C'mon now, don't make me go back through the posts. I know what I read, and the poster said they require their crew on watch to stand. But, hey I could be Wrong! Again.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:05   #377
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Not that it would be completely impossible to stand watch like this, but long passages, short handed it would be very wearing, take a lot of fun out of the trip and as you say, nobody needs to.

As long as someone is on deck most of the time, scans the horizon (full 360 including aft and behind the jib) every few minutes and keeps up with other standard watch requirements (check the bilges, gauges, etc) I see little to no benefit on having to stand up the whole watch, never leave the deck, never allowed to read.

I think you've got it all just right. I wouldn't have a problem with reading like that either. Either you trust the person, or you don't.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:18   #378
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ok Raku, now w'all on the same page

as to people giving you bad advice, sure that happens all the time, dont sweat it. Often its very hard to discern piss taking from advice on an Internet forum. ( I have to put on my shades every time Boatman writes )

So , given the fact that several posters have no crew,

(a) They're anti social gits
(b) all their crew are on the bus
(c) or paid to fly home
(d) in hospital from standing for 3 weeks
(e) staving from living on nuts for a month

it must be just me and teh guy with the hammock out there with crew then!!!!

dave
Old 19-08-2013, 10:33   #379
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

as to people giving you bad advice, sure that happens all the time, dont sweat it. Often its very hard to discern piss taking from advice on an Internet forum. ( I have to put on my shades every time Boatman writes )

(c) or paid to fly home

dave

Oh that hammock is SWEET but I don't see any way to use it on my boat. DURN!

I really would have put one crew member on shore once if we hadn't been able to turn around. Do you *really* think it's unreasonable for the skipper to expect that crew will follow reasonable instructions? This guy argued about *everything,* including how deep the water was. (He aso wanted me to move the boat close to shore in a storm, and a bunch of other blockheaded things). I couldn't turn my back on him for a second. The other crew member had much less time over water but had done it much more intelligently, and if she wondered why we were doing something, she didn't just go off and do something completely different. She ... asked. What a concept.

I wouldn't have the guy who told me that rat-ass, jury-rigged "reefing system" was adequate on my boat, nor the guy who hit it because he was on autopilot asleep leaning up against the cabin side, nor the fellow who wanted to let the boat round up in too much wind and sea for my first boat because it was "fun."

There are also people who, when they sail with me, are the skipper, because I respect their knowledge AND can trust them to not take stupid risks with my boat they wouldn't on their own. I know I will learn from them. But I'm not a bad sailor myself and I make good calls in a pinch.

I don't sweat bad advice, and I know enough now to recognize it when I hear it/read it. But on line and in person I have seen people deliberately give bad advice because they find it entertaining, or they're annoyed or whatever, and I don't respect those people.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:48   #380
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

hammocks on smaller boats hang well between main mast and headstay.

my boat requires an inner forestay or a temp babystay for installation of same hammock.

i am happier in my cool comfortable aft cockpit with a cooling tropical breeze blowing across my sofa....unfortunately those breezes are too soft for sailing here..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:53   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

(c) or paid to fly home

dave
And then there is always the possibility there are among us some who just don't have what's necessary to sail alone. Skill, cojenes and ability to be alone for long periods of time. Makes you wonder if they could even stand themselves without the diversion of having others around.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:10   #382
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I really would have put one crew member on shore once if we hadn't been able to turn around. Do you *really* think it's unreasonable for the skipper to expect that crew will follow reasonable instructions? This guy argued about *everything,* including how deep the water was. (He aso wanted me to move the boat close to shore in a storm, and a bunch of other blockheaded things). I couldn't turn my back on him for a second. The other crew member had much less time over water but had done it much more intelligently, and if she wondered why we were doing something, she didn't just go off and do something completely different. She ... asked. What a concept.

I wouldn't have the guy who told me that rat-ass, jury-rigged "reefing system" was adequate on my boat, nor the guy who hit it because he was on autopilot asleep leaning up against the cabin side, nor the fellow who wanted to let the boat round up in too much wind and sea for my first boat because it was "fun."
Jeepers Raku, A lot of sh1t happens to you, I must stay well away

dave
Old 19-08-2013, 11:14   #383

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
And then there is always the possibility there are among us some who just don't have what's necessary to sail alone. Skill, cojenes and ability to be alone for long periods of time. Makes you wonder if they could even stand themselves without the diversion of having others around.
You make it sound like soloists are some sort of heroes, some sort of the real thing (skill, cojenes (cojones)).

But I know many single-handers, and from this (small) sample I can tell you this is not the case. They roughly fall into one of two broad groups:

- they sail alone, because they like to be alone,
- they sail alone, because no one can stand them.

I think only the former ones are proper. The latter group always seek companion, sailing partners, whatever.

There is no merit in being blonde, neither in liking to sail alone.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:19   #384
Nearly an old salt

actually most singlehanders Ive met , sail alone cause they couldn't get a permanent other crew person , ( like the wife/GF) . Also explains why the two 'man' crew is also common.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:27   #385

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Keeping Watch at Night ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I have a general distrust of people who need constant diversion. Are their brains devoid of thoughts? I don't need or tolerate "background noise." I know many folks who feel like they must talk all the time. A few are men but most are women, I am truly sorry to report.

As a single and devilishly handsome, slim and trim old guy I get a lot of attention from elderly widows but I'd rather go without the other benefits than listen to idle claptrap.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:34   #386

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo

Red over red, the Captain is dead..... yup 10 days with a 19yo would do it

My boat has few electronic goodies. My sounder is a simple two digit readout (and a lead line as a back-up), no RADAR, no AIS, no Plotter (well to be fair, my iPad is sort of like a plotter), Hell, I don't even own an EPIRB!

FWIW, on a long solo (I call anything over 24 hrs as long when solo), I heave-to/anchor on the same sleep schedule as on land... I sleep when tired!

If I have one extra person, we do 4hr watches, but sleep in the cockpit at night...tethered (even in benign weather)

3 or more crew is 4 on / 6 off with one of the "off" crew awake at all times in the dark..... we usually do this by sleeping 4 of the 6 off hours. Of course all the above require mandatory log entries at 15 minute intervals with position.

The older I get, the less attractive overnight passages are to me!
I don't mind overnight passages at all. Actually, I love night sailing. Life is too short, however, as far as I'm concerned, to do it short handed. Three people capable of sailing the boat is minimum for comfort, in my view, for a longer passage. What, don't you guys have that many friends you can muster for something which is this much fun? We were five-up for this year's summer cruise - alas, two empty bunks.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:40   #387

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Have heard of singlehanders who announce position and heading over vhf to warn vessels nearby,before napping.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 11:46   #388
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Have heard of singlehanders who announce position and heading over vhf to warn vessels nearby,before napping.
VHF and the cone of protection ., hmm fantasy role playing
Old 19-08-2013, 11:46   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
Whether single handing or with crew if your vessel is hove-to or disabled in an area with heavy traffic, it is good practice to announce to all stations your position, speed and direction of travel. No matter the reason.
Old 19-08-2013, 11:52   #390
Nearly an old salt

in my experience, calling out Lat Lons to shipping is a waste of time. With modern bridges, the OOW seems to have little ability or desire to plot a lat lon.

dave