Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 17:46   #16

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Justice for SV/Quest crew announced

I really didn't do any heavy thinking to figure out if this thread would be controversial, ahead of time. It was just "Oh - that's sailor newsworthy" and then click, click, copy, copy. There - that's done! All in about twenty secs. Now that I've had another twenty secs to think it over ... boy am I sorry ...
Old 02-08-2013, 17:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a lot of the technology on yachts these days is thanks to raytheon,though not quite as deadly
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 17:55   #18

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Now that I've had another twenty secs to think it over ... boy am I sorry

I think that's the way with some couple's unplanned pregnancies ...
Old 02-08-2013, 18:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Life in the States IS a death sentence in my mind... just a very slow and tortured one... unlike the UK where Life = 15yrs..
Yeah I have to agree the UK is much more humane about getting your ass under dirt, but your time to practice has been a lot longer. The USA will eventually catch up. Probably not in our lifetime, I am a '47 baby boomer, which causes me some personal confusion. Should I be glad, or sad to not live long enough to see if the predictors hit the projected targets. We are going to over 9 Billion, they say, then back to somewhere in the 7 Billion range. Part of me might enjoy that show, but,,,

Having worked for a time in the DOC, I predict the Pirates, unless they get life without possibility of parole, which I seriously doubt will happen. yada yada yada wheeled and dealed , will be back home in less than 10 years. Depending on who there buds manage to snag, maybe much less. Us yanks like to trade our players.

Let's not let the results get in the way of the game. The show must go on...
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:11   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Justice for SV/Quest crew announced

Is this not the boat that the US frigate (whatever) fired on...?
Maybe there was doubt in the jury's mind who actually was directly responsible for the deaths...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:20   #21

Boat: nothing
From wiki.

The pirate leader Mohamud, in Somalia, claimed that the hostages were killed because the American warships started to attack and he told Reuters that "we ordered our comrades to kill the four Americans before they got killed." The leader Farah, in Bayla, Puntland also spoke with Reuters over the telephone and said "I lost the money I invested and my comrades. No forgiveness for the Americans. Revenge. Our business will go on"
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:24   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
From wiki.

The pirate leader Mohamud, in Somalia, claimed that the hostages were killed because the American warships started to attack and he told Reuters that "we ordered our comrades to kill the four Americans before they got killed." The leader Farah, in Bayla, Puntland also spoke with Reuters over the telephone and said "I lost the money I invested and my comrades. No forgiveness for the Americans. Revenge. Our business will go on"
Well he would do wouldn't he.... same as Bush telling the troops he'd won the war in Iraq...
Leaders (misnomer if ever there was one) are always full of ****.. and that includes Blair..

Old 02-08-2013, 18:25   #23

Who knows?

I really don't care what sentence they got, though it would be nice if they "tripped" down a flight of stairs......a few times.

Old 02-08-2013, 18:26   #24

Quote:
Is this not the boat that the US frigate (whatever) fired on...?
Maybe there was doubt in the jury's mind who actually was directly responsible for the deaths...
It certainly was a dicey situation. IMHO life with no possibility of parole is more inhumane and harsher penalty than the needle.

Usually don't do cut and paste, but,,,

"The yacht's owners, Jean and Scott Adam of Marina del Rey, Californa, and their friends, Bob Riggle and Phyllis Macay of Seattle, Washington, were shot to death several days after they were taken hostage at sea.

The Navy had told the pirates that they could keep the yacht in exchange for the hostages, but they refused to take the deal because they didn't believe they would get enough money. The only person authorized to negotiate the Americans' release was also based in Somalia.

With the yacht nearing the Somali coastline, the destroyer USS Sterett began maneuvering between the Quest and the Somali shore when a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at it.
Soon after, gunshots were fired on board the Quest. By the time Navy SEALs scrambled aboard, all four Americans had been mortally wounded.

They were the first U.S. citizens killed in a wave of pirate attacks that have plagued the Gulf of Aden and Indian Ocean in recent years.

In their justification for seeking the death penalty, prosecutors wrote that the men killed or attempted to kill more than one person during a single episode. They also said their actions endangered the U.S. military and that the Americans were killed 'in an especially wanton and gratuitous manner.'"

Read more: Somali pirates avoid the death penalty after killing four innocent Americans on sailing trip off coast of Africa | Mail Online
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:36   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

were not the us responsible for 28000 somali deaths first

Black Hawk Down: Somalia in 1992-93
Old 02-08-2013, 18:41   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
were not the us responsible for 28000 somali deaths first

Black Hawk Down: Somalia in 1992-93
You should read your linked propaganda more closely. 28,000 is the number of US troops sent, not Somalis killed.

Of course, the US went to Somalia for the oil. Or something like that.
Old 02-08-2013, 18:51   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
You should read your linked propaganda more closely. 28,000 is the number of US troops sent, not Somalis killed.

Of course, the US went to Somalia for the oil. Or something like that.
no you are quite right the usa only killed 10,000 unarmed civilians when they went to somalia on a humanitarian mission:.........
Old 02-08-2013, 18:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

no you are quite right the usa only killed 10,000 unarmed civilians when they went to somalia on a humanitarian mission:.........
Seems plausible.

As to the "world police" tag, I am glad we seem to be getting away from that somewhat. Although the US is currently catching hell for "ignoring the human rights situation in Syria". Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.
Old 02-08-2013, 19:03   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

This happened after the English couple were taken and held for 18 months... and everyone was advising against sailing in that area did it not... was there not a US couple with a boat full of bibles taken as well... or is this the same boat..?

Old 02-08-2013, 19:08   #30

Quote:
This happened after the English couple were taken and held for 18 months... and everyone was advising against sailing in that area did it not... was there not a US couple with a boat full of bibles taken as well... or is this the same boat..?
I'll plead ignorance on that, though it wouldn't be the first or last time religion fricked something up.

Tags
crew