Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 09:30   #1

Just Baffling - Leak in Engine Compartment Basin

I have a 1998 Beneteau 352 and there is a VERY slow and small leak in the basin under the propshaft. It is not the shaft/shaft seal as both have just been replaced. Additionally, the exit point where the strut/cutlass bearing reside has been redone with epoxy/5200.

I know about the Beneteau memo and the skeg. That is why the epoxy was redone to prevent water coming from there.

Here is the situation. While at the slip there is no leak or very little maybe an ounce. If the boat is taken out and under power for a while then the next day there is more water (about 12 - 20 ounces). I've paid alot of money to try to remedy this and even the boatyard doesn't know for sure what the problem or where the water is coming from.

Anyone else have any ideas or experience similar problem?

Thanks,
Robert
Snowgoose71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:36   #2

Re: Just Baffling - Leak in Engine Compartment Basin

Where ever the leak is, it sounds as if it flexes slightly when under way, allowing more water in. Have you had the hull checked for cracks?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45   #3

Henry - haven't had it checked (at least that I know of). I've had boat hauled 3 times....first to replace the shaft/shaft seal because they thought it was leaking from the seal. Second time they gelcoated all around the basin area trying to prevent the leak. The third time was to reseal the exit point where the metal strut is located thinking the leak may be coming in at that point and making its way through the skeg.

I probably will haul at end of year and can request them to look for cracks....
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51   #4

There's a process we use in motorsports to check for cracks, for example in suspension components or wheels. Here's an idea, this may help:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...upID=CRACKTEST

There are more expensive processes but if you can get the boat out of the water and let her dry out, this may work.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:57   #5

Thanks again....the other suggestion from Beneteau/boatyard was perhaps to replace the fiberglass sterntube that of course goes through the skeg. I've been told that is not an easy thing to do....but if the sterntube is cracked then I suppose the water could be leaking from that into the skeg area and then making its way up to the propshaft basin.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:09   #6

Same thing on our 361. Seems like it fills to just below the shaft seal and stops. Weird.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:10   #7

Hey C420 - that is same with mine. Just under the prop shaft seal and then stops! Of course as I said in original it only does that after I've been out...come back to the slip wait until the next day and vaccum water out.....after that then it stays dry until I take it out again!!!

Have you done anything to try and diagnose/fix or just deal with it?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:17   #8

I just deal with it. It seems like when it happens, a thin film of pink diesel always appears on top.

That said, I did notice that someone previously put sealant around the exterior of the stern tube that is falling off. I’m in the middle of doing the bottom, so I’m going to re seal it. We’ll see if that helps.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:20   #9

Yeh I tried that as well....ground what was there all out and reapplied with 5200. Seemed to help but didn't totally fix it.
Old 04-08-2021, 14:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowgoose71 View Post
Here is the situation. While at the slip there is no leak or very little maybe an ounce. If the boat is taken out and under power for a while then the next day there is more water (about 12 - 20 ounces). I've paid alot of money to try to remedy this and even the boatyard doesn't know for sure what the problem or where the water is coming from.
A long-shot, I know, but have you gone below while motoring and panned around the engine compartment with a flashlight and/or the shaft to see if you can trace the source of the water ingress? If it only happens while motoring, you might be able to catch it when those flexing conditions are active...

LW77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:07   #11

Just to confirm, you removed the tank and checked for cracks underneath the tank/over the skeg/tube?
Old 04-08-2021, 17:39   #12

Rudder shaft seal above the waterline?
Little Wing suggested checking it out underway.
If the seal is above the waterline, it possibly never got properly adjusted, as the only time it’s wet is when underway, and water is forced up it.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:08   #13

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

My engine mounts were loose. I seen the lock washers were expanding. The dipless seal misted the back of the engine with a little bit of salt water that settled into the engine bilge. A little rust got started on me.
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

get it all very dry (hair dryer or fan heater). Put dry paper towels everywhere, under or touching anything which might leak. Monitor them closely. First wet spot identifies your problem.
chris14679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:18   #15

Dry up ALL the water and surfaces. Dust everything with a light coating of flour. Use drive for an acceptable time, water source will be self evident in the flower dust.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, men