Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2006, 14:09   #1

Boat: Ensenada 20
Just back from week in St Martin

Just back from an interesting week in St Martin chartering a Beneteau Oceanis 473 from Sunsail.

Winds and seas were abnormally high. First day out seas were 10'+ and winds gusting to 35+. They had been even more the previous few days; so much so that Moorings and Sunsail were not letting boats out for a day or two. We probably should have stayed in Oyster Pond another day, but with just a week there we didn't want to miss a day. It was actually exhilarating for my wife and I, but a couple of our mates got sick.

It got gradually better as the week progressed, but was still unseasonably bad weather the locals said.

The 473 was comfortable, but I was disappointed that it didn't point anywhere near as well as expected; it wasn't even close to the sailing performer the Jeanneau S.O. 45.2 was that we chartered last summer. It may have been me/us, or the way they have the charter boats "tuned", but it was also a challenge to get "balanced" in high wind conditions.

We tried three dives, but the conditions caused for poor visibility and lots of surge. Apparently May and June are the best times for snorkeling and diving there.

A real treat was Grand Case. On Tuesday evenings they close off the street and it's one BIG party. Barbecued chicken for $2; ribs for $4; sides for $2; beers for $1 EACH. Several bands and lots of local and interesting vendors. That night alone was worth the trip.

If anyone's interested in places we recommed or don't recommend there just let me know.

Even with the conditions we still had a great time. Difficult to come back to the 3 or 4 inches of snow we got last night.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 16:29   #2

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
st martin

i would love to hear more about places that you went to in sxm.
it that thing going on in grand case every tuesday?
Fair winds
eric

Tags
St Martin