Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2020, 08:51   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Jon decides to go sailing

Lots of love jon but I think it's a hoax and your a funny man
But if not as you say you have no money . No skills. Etc then may I suggest you get a job. Biy a 0lottery ticket. Or marry an old widow with money.
It is good to have a dream and aim for the stars. I had the same dream since i was five . Generations of sea going family members and boat builders I'm my family .
I am 49 now and will be off after the wife finished saving the planet (dr of ecology) so it can be done but it is hard work even asking people to fund it is hard work get into you tube and make some money doing silly things
Good luck I'm your quest
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:19   #17

Boat: been sitting it out

Jon, hi.

i do hope this is not a hoax. sometimes hoaxes happen, and good folk waste their energy and time, valuable energy and time... which is inevitably lost when it comes to those who are serious.

here's my swing at the bat:

you are young: USE this to your advantage! learn how to fix stuff, repair stuff on boats (boatyard), form trusting relationships with people and listen to THEIR stories, learn from them, read the books they mention, ask questions, listen.

given you have no money and do not know how to sail, you've got to put all of your agency behind your dream.

do not look for a rich widow (even if you do stumble across one, she doesn't want a mooch!), do not play the lottery and do not waste your time wishing. instead, get work in the marine industry and SAVE every penny you can manage. ask yourself, does this (whatever you are tempted to consume) take me closer to my sailing dream? if the answer is no, pass. (yes, i am extreme, very )

while you make yourself useful skill-wise, crew. once you get out on the water with different sea captains, you will begin to realise how much there is involved in becoming a competent sailor, how it is about making the right decisions, anticipating possible outcomes and being prepared. you will also realise how much money it takes to sustain the lifestyle and how much of this money goes into feeding and housing your own boat...

in a nutshell, it requires all of your agency.

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:23   #18

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsailingearth View Post
Hello lovely people of the world. I am a young English man. My name is jon. I have decided that I will leave the UK by sailing off on a boat on an epic adventure around the world. I greatly desire to spend the next 10 years or so sailing to the most distant parts of the earth, tropical islands, amazing places. It will be just me, the elements, and the nature.

There are perhaps a few obstacles that I will need to overcome to be able to do this, and I now seek some guidance in the matter.

Immediate challenges. I have no boat, no money & have never sailed before. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who perhaps has an old boat they no longer use or have time for, perhaps they might be willing to let me 'borrow'.

Thankyou for your time.

jon
Quite the challenge Jon. But hey, if you're going to dream it might as well be big.

1. Get yourself down to your local library and read everything you can find about sailing. Also picking up bits and pieces from forums such as this will advance your knowledge.

2. Head down to your local yacht club and look for somebody that needs an extra pair of hands. With all that reading under your belt, you won't come off as a blithering idiot.

3. Build a reputation as a reliable hand and let it be known that you're interested in doing some long term trips. You may not get a circumnavigation but a spin around the Med. would be a good start.

4. None of the above will solve your money problem but with enough sea miles and experience you could find a gig as delivery crew or large yacht crew (which does pay money).

5. After you've saved up a bit and have a lot of experience, you'll be in a better position to target the boat you want.

As you can probably gather, this can all take a lot longer than ten years. Somewhere between step 2 and step 3, you should have a pretty good idea whether you want to commit to this or not.

Oh! and beware the cheap/free boats as they often cost more to get sailing than something you could buy at the market rate. Since you don't have any money, you won't be doing a refit anytime soon. The last thing you need is something sitting on the hard because you can't afford to fix it.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:26   #19

jon open a go fund me page. it might work
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:04   #20

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

We all started somewhere.
A chat over a pint might be your best option at this point.
Whereabouts in London?
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:36   #21

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

He's not going to make it.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:57   #22

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Lottery and a rich widow is the way forward. I resent that these are not an option las much chance as getting a boat, sailing experience.amd sailing off on the big blue
or as I said get s youtube channel and patreon and get the cash that way. Plenty do it.
Hey my 10 year old has 100 followers so far and her YouTube favourites have millions of followers and these young guys make a lot of money
This can get you loads of cash, get a do upper boat and film it . Pleading your case plenty money out there.
Bit as the old saying goes nothing for free got to work hard and have a plan
Anyways have fun trying it is your generation now and the technology is out there to make money
Hell when my daughter gets a million subscribers I am going to manage her and take 20 percent commission. ��
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:04   #23

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
jon open a go fund me page. it might work
Don't encourage him
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:04   #24

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Good day to you Jon,

We have been sailing parts of earth ourselves, and the description of your current plight, might create a thought for you, that you need an actual plan, begging is all fine and dandy, but no money and no sailing talent will not feed your desire..., but more power to ya!!

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 14:44   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 30Ultra Grand Banks 36

Looking for the line "willing to work very hard".
Appears to be a lazy dreamer, or con man.
MultiCountryDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 15:00   #26

I think it's a bot that generates these posts monthly.
It stimulates conversation, provides entertainment, and increases page views for the forum, no real downside.
Lazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 15:03   #27

if jon is a bot i fail to see what his sickness gets out of it
Old 03-09-2020, 15:07   #28

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

He's a troll, just ignore him.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 15:18   #29

thank you
Old 03-09-2020, 15:28   #30

Boat: Spindrift 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Comprehension skills?

OP:

...I am a young English man. My name is jon. I have decided that I will leave the UK by sailing off...I have no boat, no money ...
Jeez, I thought he wanted to TRAVEL!! Way to stick it to me “forum comprehension cop”!

Allow me to prostrate myself to the entire forum for sharing relevant information from my local sailing area that could support his plan. By all means, young English man, DO NOT look for boats outside of England lest Stu get angered!!!
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing