Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 08:33   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30
Re: Jeanne Socrates Oldest Person solo RTW attempt

Quote:
Why Canada then?
'cause she loves Canada, and Victoria in particular. (If you visit here you'll know why). It's referred to as her second home, but I have to admit that over the last few years she's spent more time here than in England. She just hit bad luck with these storms. Last year same time would have been fine. And she's not in a rush.
Old 27-10-2016, 08:34   #107

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
CBC Radio (Canada's national radio network) has a nice photo of Jeanne's boat on her departure on their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/CBCVancouverisland/

The purpose of the late autumn start from Canada is to hit the southern ocean at exactly the right time. Believe me, being the at Cape Horn at the wrong time is 100 times worse than leaving Canada at the wrong time. We had timed it so that she hit Cape Horn on New Year's Day.
She couldn't have left a month earlier? Better to hang around somewhere farther south for favorable conditions in the Southern Ocean?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 08:41   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Interesting to hear about the tattered cones on the JSD. I have heard of a few other cases with commercial JSD that have suffered this failure.

In the others the cause was that the mouth of the drogues were not hemmed allowing the cloth to fray.

It seems that hemming the mouth of the drogues is worth the extra effort to ensure that they stay intact for long periods.

I'm less worried about the shackle issue but would be interested to know how it was wired.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Wishing her a safe return to port.
I am curious as well
Old 27-10-2016, 08:49   #109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Quote:
She couldn't have left a month earlier? Better to hang around somewhere farther south for favorable conditions in the Southern Ocean?
You can't really "hang around" waiting for favorable conditions in the South. She's going to be there for months, so she'll see everything it has to offer - good and bad. The best she can do is be there for as much of the summer as possible. She wasn't ready to leave any earlier.

As I said before, for someone with her open ocean experience, sailing in the north Pacific at this time of year is normally not a problem. Sure, it's not a cruising ground, but Jeanne is much more than a cruiser. Just bad luck this time. Last year would have been a breeze - literally.
Old 27-10-2016, 17:37   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

If she had left a week earlier she would have had Seymour to contend with.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:02   #111
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nereida 10/28 9:20 AM PDT

Jeanne is now in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, probably motoring, with light headwinds. We can see her tracker (which appears to be displaying EDT time, three hours ahead of Pacific Daylight Time), but we can also again monitor her position with AIS, via land-based volunteer receiving stations reporting to MarineTraffic.com. Here's a link that should work: http://www.marinetraffic.com/…/a…/ho...194627/zoom:10
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:14   #112
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

BREAKING NEWS (as reported by Latitude 38)

Socrates Aborts Circumnavigation

October 28, 2016 – Victoria, BC

After 10 days at sea, 74-year-old singlehander Jeanne Socrates was forced to abort her latest nonstop circumnavigation attempt and return to her Victoria, BC, homeport yesterday after taking a beating from extreme weather.

Before reversing course, she reported winds of 50-60 knots accompanied by 25-ft seas. Out of caution, she has been keeping in touch with the Coast Guard (RCC Alameda), and at one point was considering donning her survival suit. We're told that ultimately, the failure of her Jordon series drogue led to the regrettable decision to turn back. Other minor repairs to her longtime warhorse, Nereida, are also needed. The now-famous sloop is a Swedish-built Najad 38.

As reported here and in Latitude 38 magazine in 2013, after 259 days alone at sea, Jeanne successfully completed a nonstop, singlehanded, unassisted circumnavigation via the Five Great Capes. She holds the distinction of being the first woman to sail solo nonstop around the world from North America, and the oldest woman to sail solo nonstop around the world. Her current effort was an attempt to become the oldest person — male or female — to go around solo, nonstop. Japanese sailor Minoru Saito currently holds that record, having completed his lap at age 71 in 2005 aboard his Adams 50 Challenge 7 (ex-Shuten-Dohji).

- latitude / an
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:03   #113
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i admire jeanne but her weather timing is a lil off--she manages to always get hit by surprise weather we all knew about in advance.
i hope she finds a good weather window and gets her groove on with a good circumnav.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:39   #114

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i admire jeanne but her weather timing is a lil off--she manages to always get hit by surprise weather we all knew about in advance.
i hope she finds a good weather window and gets her groove on with a good circumnav.
yep. and doors are starting to close for good weather windows
Glad she's back in calmer waters to get some rest.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 14:49   #115
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

once the remnants of cyclonic events of asia stop slamming the pnw there should be a window for mebbe a week or two. could be enough time to get into different waters, but, it is la nina and storms have been pretty strong in asia again this year.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 18:53   #116
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Jeanne just arrived in Victoria. She is tied up at Victoria Customs.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 19:58   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Good to hear. I bet she is wiped.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 05:46   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From her log: Day 10 Friday 28th Oct 2016 - arrival back in Victoria

“... 6.:30 p.m. What an enjoyable last leg to Victoria Hbr! The sun shone brightly on relatively calm and deserted waters all afternoon and we motor-sailed with full genoa for quite a time and made Race Passage just before the ebb started .. I enjoyed the coast scenery (very few houses) and views across the Strait to the Olympics and we made the Victoria Outer Hbr around sunset (having to avoid a lot of big logs floating in the waters nearby), to drop the mains'l and make for the Customs Dock in the last of the daylight... Perfect timing! Someone on his boat even recognised 'Nereida' as I headed for the Customs Dock - and I got a loud "Welcome, Jeanne!" - amazing! Having been in International waters, clearing Customs was a necessary formality to be gone through but the two officials who turned up couldn't have been more pleasant - pity we couldn't share a glass of wine!

Tomorrow morning, I'll make for the fuel dock and then on to the Causeway Dock where I expect to meet up with several friends. For now, I'll enjoy a lovely hot shower and a good meal - with wine! ...”

Much more ➥ Blog | S/V Nereida

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 07:40   #119

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From her log: Day 10 Friday 28th Oct 2016 - arrival back in Victoria

“... 6.:30 p.m. What an enjoyable last leg to Victoria Hbr! The sun shone brightly on relatively calm and deserted waters all afternoon and we motor-sailed with full genoa for quite a time and made Race Passage just before the ebb started .. I enjoyed the coast scenery (very few houses) and views across the Strait to the Olympics and we made the Victoria Outer Hbr around sunset (having to avoid a lot of big logs floating in the waters nearby), to drop the mains'l and make for the Customs Dock in the last of the daylight... Perfect timing! Someone on his boat even recognised 'Nereida' as I headed for the Customs Dock - and I got a loud "Welcome, Jeanne!" - amazing! Having been in International waters, clearing Customs was a necessary formality to be gone through but the two officials who turned up couldn't have been more pleasant - pity we couldn't share a glass of wine!

Tomorrow morning, I'll make for the fuel dock and then on to the Causeway Dock where I expect to meet up with several friends. For now, I'll enjoy a lovely hot shower and a good meal - with wine! ...”

Much more ➥ Blog | S/V Nereida
Thanks for posting this from her blog, Gord. What a fantastic attitude this lady has! Definitely going to stay tuned in as her grand adventure continues.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 14:12   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Not many windows left open. Thanks to all that are making this happen for J.
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote