Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 11:31   #16

Re: January delivery from La Rochel to BVI

Hello, Sounds like a great adventure! I am a US guy , ex-aerospace , based in southwest France and a commercially endorsed Yachtmaster Offshore skipper who is fluent in French I am available and would love to discuss your plans with you. I am currently in the USA until the end of October and then I am heading back to France where I could also assist you with logistics and preparing your boat for the crossing. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Christopher
jcmandraccia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:54   #17

Boat: Bavaria 44
Send a message via Skype™ to sailing mike

Hi, if you’d like an experienced catamaran skipper. Then the best guy I’d recommend for your January crossing would be Christophe Mahe. A professional, Who delivers sailing boats all over the world. He’s French, speaks very good english, a super guy, and being he doesn’t just eat to stay alive....
Dependent on his work load he maybe able help. He’s currently sailing a brand new Lagoon 62 to Tahiti.

best regards
Mike
sailing mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 07:37   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-M View Post
Soon we will be living aboard our Fountain Pajot Isla 40. When we ordered the boat and had an October slot, we planned on hiring a captain to sail the boat and teach us along the way. Now we are looking at sailing from France in January to the BVI. We both have sailed the Bahamas, Caribbean and Lake Superior. We are not old salts but capable sailors.
Does anyone know a good delivery captain with good English that likes teaching and might be available?
Is it possible to get to France during Covid for an owner and or a delivery captain? Or should we look at another country along the route to meet a Captain?
I would hate to put our boat on a ship to transport. I really would love for my wife and I to experience the crossing. She agrees the crossing would be a great learning experience.

Thank you
Please check my profile for a link to my website, and PM me.

I’m summary, deliveries from Boston to Panama, Bahamas, BVI and transatlantic. Operated monohulls to 60’ and cats to 50’, ASA Instructor, contributing author to Practical Sailor (6 articles). On offshore deliveries we download weather GRIBs twice a day, update routing using onboard software to ensure a fast and safe delivery.

BONUS- I will be in Europe on vacation in October 2021.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:37   #19

Boat: Hanse 505

I am contemplating buying an Elba 45. I have just sold my Bene 46 and would be interested in joining as crew if you need someone. I have my RYA Yachtmaster and some good experience on different monos and multis. And I am based in Holland so not too difficult to get to France...

Lawrence
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:17   #20

Boat: Hanse 430e

Speak to your local French consulate . Ask them for an exemption to the travel restrictions for Essential Business.

Which is how I'm writing this from Greece.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 18:46   #21

Boat: Fountain Pajot Isla 40

The French consulate said NO, I do not qualify to travel through France, no surprise. I argued the point that I fall under:
-If you are a member of crew or personnel operating passenger or cargo flights, or travelling as a passenger to reach your departure base;
So now I am thinking a pickup in Gibraltar. The UK is more lax in Covid rules and Gibraltar is more in route to the Caribbean.

What do people think of a delivery from France to Gibraltar to BVI after Brexit? We are all still friends right?
ED-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, delivery