Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2014, 16:53   #16

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380
Re: I've gone and done it now

Congratulations! Enjoy the first voyage. I am jealous though, as an IP38 is on our list of possible next boats!
Old 27-03-2014, 16:53   #17

Boat: Building a Seaclipper 24

Congratulations on your new boat! Best of luck on you inaugural cruise...Im traveling to Florida in a couple of weeks for three months to work on mine and hopefully sail for some of the time...
Old 27-03-2014, 16:58   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Welcome to the IP yacht club. You're gonna love that boat!
Old 27-03-2014, 17:09   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Whooop! Congratulations!! Are you going through the ditch or around the Keys? Good luck with everything :-)

Both, start out in the ditch first day or two and if everything is working OK, maybe go out around Ft. Pierce. Don't want to start out going outside though.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 17:13   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've gone and done it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Great big congratulations! I'm sitting in my cockpit in San Pedro, CA looking across the marina at an Island Packet 38 right now. I think it is a beautiful, purposeful, strong, well built, well designed boat. I hope she gives you happy sailing and fair seas. I also hope your first trip will be an easy confidence builder for your wife. One thought though, rushing to get ready may not be the best introduction for inexperienced crew. Anyway, best wishes for happy voyages.

Your right, but it's costing me $400 a week for her to sit where she is, and unfortunately we both work, she is a teacher and we are going during her spring break, so timing wise it's pretty much the only option. I have hired a professional delivery Captain / sailing instructor, I wouldn't try this alone just yet. Power boat no problem, sailboat, not yet. Course a powerboat I'd probably stay inside and go through Okcheobee too.
The IP's just sort of appealed to us, thought they were way outside of our price range, but accepting a little older boat than what I first started looking for, plus this boat is strangely completely under equipped for what it is made to be, seems to have been a day cruiser only, made it so I could afford this one.
Old 27-03-2014, 17:35   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your right, but it's costing me $400 a week for her to sit where she is, and unfortunately we both work, she is a teacher and we are going during her spring break, so timing wise it's pretty much the only option. I have hired a professional delivery Captain / sailing instructor, I wouldn't try this alone just yet. Power boat no problem, sailboat, not yet. Course a powerboat I'd probably stay inside and go through Okcheobee too.
The IP's just sort of appealed to us, thought they were way outside of our price range, but accepting a little older boat than what I first started looking for, plus this boat is strangely completely under equipped for what it is made to be, seems to have been a day cruiser only, made it so I could afford this one.
If you are harbor hopping I would just tow the dink as you'll be likely using it to go ashore. Just make sure that you remember it's there and adjust the painter/bridle length and position according to what it is you're doing (i.e. don't back up over it if it doesn't float, tie it to the side if you're docking, etc.).

I'll second the advice to hold off on buying anything for the boat except what you absolutely need for as long as possible. Otherwise you'll end up with stuff that after awhile you realize you do not need (and perhaps don't have storage for) or which after some experience decide you should have bought something else. The last thing you want to do is fill up lockers, drawers, etc. on a new-to-you boat before you know what they provide access to.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 17:38   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had thought to just turn the wife loose to buy whatever she wanted for the boat, but will re-evaluate that now.
Old 27-03-2014, 17:48   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I had thought to just turn the wife loose to buy whatever she wanted for the boat, but will re-evaluate that now.
Congratulations, y'all. May she give you many joyful hours!

Maybe suggest to her to select just the bedding for the owner's cabin for now. If you eventually liveaboard and cruise, what you need is different from what you need for daysailing. I never treated myself to new everything for the boat, using things I liked from home instead, and waiting for wear out before replacing.
As a result, there were things I gave up that I would have liked later to have on the boat. It's all okay, it really depends on what will make her feel like the place is hers, too.

I like your plan to get a jump up on the learning curve. I've seen it work well for some people. We all keep learning anyway, boats have amazing lessons for us.

Ann
Old 27-03-2014, 19:05   #24

Boat: Boatless
Awesome!!!!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 19:15   #25

Boat: Catalina 387

Your dink is a bit bigger than mine - but of course, so is your boat. I can get the dink on the foredeck by myself with the spin halyard. Could use a winch if necessary but I generally can just pull it up.

You'll like the dink on board if you anchor or moor anywhere - gotta get drinks somehow.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 19:37   #26

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Congratulations on a very nice boat.

If you intend to harbor hop and sight-see, the dink might be helpful. But if you intend to run 24/7, leave it home and enjoy the sail.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 03:46   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Congratulations!

I second the "don't go overboard" on cookware provisioning for the first short trip. You'll need to make the most of your storage, which often means selecting stuff that fits "just so."

FWIW, I outfitted our galley mostly myself, with ideas from previous boats, etc. Key to our storage situation was a set of nesting pots/pans/skillet. Key to decent meals is good quality. Ours happens to have come from "Welcome Aboard" maybe 15 years ago now, possibly made by Cuisinart (but I dunno that for sure), stainless with an encapsulated (aluminum, I think) heat sink in the bottom. Seemed like the set cost an arm and a leg at the time... but it's been well worth it. I think Defender may have them (or similar) now.

Anyway, enjoy your first trip!

-Chris
Old 28-03-2014, 04:23   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Pilot...

FWIW... If you're scrambling with time and $, I wouldn't be completely opposed to lettin' you borrow my electronics bag for a couple weeks... SH HX851/Garmin GPSMAP 78/Spot.... spot needs to be reactivated....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 04:40   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I second (or third or fourth) suggestions not to shop to fully equip the boat just yet. Choosing the right things for inside the boat are as personal as for your home. Your wife (& perhaps yourself as well) should take the time to savour the choices and shopping. Plus, until you've spent some time on board you just don't know what fits & what doesn't. Bring paper or some old stuff from home for the first trip. And champagne of course! Taking an experienced skipper along is a good move too.

Very big congrats to you both!!! Let the journey begin.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 05:44   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I second (or third or fourth) suggestions not to shop to fully equip the boat just yet. Choosing the right things for inside the boat are as personal as for your home. Your wife (& perhaps yourself as well) should take the time to savour the choices and shopping. Plus, until you've spent some time on board you just don't know what fits & what doesn't. Bring paper or some old stuff from home for the first trip. And champagne of course! Taking an experienced skipper along is a good move too.

Very big congrats to you both!!! Let the journey begin.
Dang... I feel a-fool for not mentioning the champagne... Way more important than the provisioning or safety equipment.... My Bad...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote