Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 02:56   #46

Boat: Outbound 521
Re: Is there a way for a Canadian to keep and sail a boat on the US east coast?

I am Canadian, living in Princeton NJ, having a sailboat in the USA Sandy Hook NJ, flying a Canadian flag, with Canadian registration paper from Montréal. Also I have Cruising license issued the Border Patrol that I will renew in the Spring, because our usual cruising waters go from Maine to Maryland. Here this is what the USA required. Up on lake Champlain and the Great Lakes area it might be different but here if and they will stop you ask for your registration and permit(Safety Certification), they will issue a Cruising permit in the New York area, I am not sure if they will fined because I always have my papers in order. I hope that the information provided will clarify any foggy area for you.
AlohaSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:32   #47

Boat: Catalina 22

Yes thanks :-) I should have thought of NJ. You are in one part of the US. That generates a lot of paper. With a crowd of people. You will become an expert in documents. It is so much different from the States and places I have lived in. Even the dialog and thoughts of a native of NJ seem foreign to me. I would definitely stand out in Princeton. I have lived and worked in Canada and traveled and worked some in the U.S. it is amazing how different and similar places can be. Can I ask what Aloha Spirit is about? An experience in Hawaii ? A dream? The word is complex so meaning can be lost by a casual interpretation. There are two kinds of sailboats from Canada that I know of smaller than yours an 8.2 m/28ft and an 10.4m/34ft They are dream boats for me. I have lots of dreams... I would need to sail on them before I could decide if they fit my desire. For now though I am pretty happy in my own place. Anyway I am off topic. Enjoy swimming in paper you might as well. Your in a place that either needs or finds joy in producing it. Kind Regards, Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 04:57   #48
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432
Is there a way for a Canadian to keep and sail a boat on the US east coast?

I purchased my boat from a Canadian who lived in Orlando. He had to register the boat in FL as he it couldn't be documented by the USCG. He was NOT a US citizen. Florida doesn't care. They want their money. When I bought the boat, I went through the documentation process. Not a big deal. Every state is different. If you want to keep your boat in Florida for I think more than 90 days, it has to be registered there. No matter as to where it's from or who owns it.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 05:48   #49

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou254 View Post
Top left corner says location Princeton. It also says he joined in January. Yes his post refers to Montreal. No big deal. Maybe it is Kingston? An old song sings about lost in Kingston Does the compass have a hard time in Kingstone I was only asking someone like you Lodesman. I have to rely on a Canadian to help me out. Kind Regards ,Lou
Well that's where the confusion began. You referred to the OP, and now it is clear that you were talking about Alohaspirit. OP means Originating Poster - referring to the person that started the thread, at post #1; that was ggeorgiev, not Alohaspirit.
Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 09:07   #50

Boat: Catalina 22

Ah yes now I see. I am always in over my head when it comes to paperwork. The good thing is I have plans and a lot of patience. I am and have so far looked at dealing with customs as part of the adventure. It will help if I read the official travel sight and threads like this. I like to try have things in order. I am starting to understand documentation vs state registration. Right now I am small so I have small problems. I also wish to stay away from the crowds but sometimes you have to join the fray. Kind Regards, Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 19:05   #51

Boat: Seafarer 34

Hello everyone,

Let me first thank everyone here - I did not expect so many (if any) replies. Sailing folk look to be warm people, open to help.

So, conclusion from all your advises is: just do it, will be fun. And for the amount I plan to stay within (10-20k), the risk is not so big. Next step will be to find a boat in the spring, and send one-two of my sons on sailing course - or we can learn it ourself, what will better fit our style. Lake Ontario or especially Champlain will be probably the best place to start / learn, and the world is ours after!

Best wishes everyone, and hope we meet somewhere!
Merci bien tous le monde, et en espère qu'en se croise dans un port!
ggeorgiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 05:12   #52

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgiev View Post
...Next step will be to find a boat in the spring, and send one-two of my sons on sailing course - or we can learn it ourself, what will better fit our style. Lake Ontario or especially Champlain will be probably the best place to start / learn, and the world is ours after!
If your sons are between 13 and 17 years old, I would encourage you to consider this excellent sailing program for them (at bottom). They will have an incredible sailing experience, and likely come back teaching you about sailing, and begging for you to get a boat!

St. Lawrence II - Brigantine Inc.

(PS. Its not expensive or far from your location)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, sail