Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 01:17   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Is There a Caste System in Sailing?

Obviously the real caste system is very different from the version based in the West, which is more based on money and social class at birth. The fundamental difference is that in the West the individual does not only have the opportunity to change their circumstances but also from their own efforts. Depending on circumstances of birth / family that will be far easier for some than others - but nonetheless doable.

Elsewhere in the world it is either not possible or nearly so for an individual to achieve for themselves, in the latter case as much about restricted access to formal education as well as artificial barriers (including formal education "qualifications" - a tendency that has gained currency in the west in recent decades, won't be long before will need a degree to work in Mc D! - at the counter). But on the upside for those outside the West, being self-employed and going global has never been easier for the average Joe - whether in downtown Arkansas or uptown Mogadishu!

Outside of permanent Marina berths, IME boats have always been a great social leveller - where binman and lawyer genuinely treat each other as equals.......at least between those who actually know one end of their boat from the other!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:26   #62

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I think the lowest caste is the fellow who fixes the heads. And on our boat that would be the Owner.

The highest caste are those who block the heads. And they be called Guests.....
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:38   #63
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Outside of permanent Marina berths, IME boats have always been a great social leveller - where binman and lawyer genuinely treat each other as equals.......at least between those who actually know one end of their boat from the other!
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51   #64

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: Is there a caste system in sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
i think you will find once you start cruising proper ie ocean passages all pretence and snobbery quickly falls away amongst yachts men and women on widely varying budgets,the sea is a great leveler
I think this is a good point.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:16   #65

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Obviously the real caste system is very different from the version based in the West, which is more based on money and social class at birth. The fundamental difference is that in the West the individual does not only have the opportunity to change their circumstances but also from their own efforts. Depending on circumstances of birth / family that will be far easier for some than others - but nonetheless doable.

Elsewhere in the world it is either not possible or nearly so for an individual to achieve for themselves, in the latter case as much about restricted access to formal education as well as artificial barriers (including formal education "qualifications" - a tendency that has gained currency in the west in recent decades, won't be long before will need a degree to work in Mc D! - at the counter). But on the upside for those outside the West, being self-employed and going global has never been easier for the average Joe - whether in downtown Arkansas or uptown Mogadishu!

David makes many good points.

Here in SE Asia class distinction is very strong and rather inflexible. Business and politics is very much about status and connections for the nationals. This is true in western countries to an extent but it is much more flexible. You can rise in the social strata (and fall) much more easily.
Domestic boating is a lot more about social status rather than lifestyle choice and the marinas reflect the distinction. They tend to be associated with luxury resorts and real estate developments. There is a big gap between the "snotty yotty" and the ordinary expat yotty or cruiser. There is a chasm between the local fishing community and the marina crowd.
The marina bar is something of a social leveller but is usually dominated by the expat and passing through cruisers.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:23   #66

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Is there a caste system in sailing?

Have you not seen the film "Slum-dock millionaire"? ;-)
Old 11-06-2013, 04:30   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is There a Caste System in Sailing?

Inboard caste
Outboard caste
Engine free caste
Mono caste
Multi caste
Power caste
ROCNA caste
Anything but ROCNA caste
Under 30 caste
Over 50 caste
Toys caste
Toyless purist caste

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:48   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post

Here in SE Asia class distinction is very strong and rather inflexible. Business and politics is very much about status and connections for the nationals.
and to be fair!, that attitude is based on pragmatics - if you are at the bottom of the social strata a racing certainty that you either lack the education (and possibly also the social graces! - just because "we" westerners can't tell the difference between peasant and middle class (nor care) does not mean that the locals don't know and care - within 0.2 seconds of meeting!) or the contacts to be of much use for jobs above your present (and family) status.......and likely both.

Me own tended to confuse other locals , dressed like tomboy, the mannerisms of a thug - but also had a good (formal) education behind her so spoke well. But she got away with acting like this because she could - mostly from respect, the scared end of - from self in latter years but kicked off from family.........but not everyone in that part of the world gets to write own rules . Was quite an eye opener to chat to locals about family history - and that went both ways, for them the fact that my own have had various ups and downs in fortune over the centuries was of interest (the DOJ's have never seemed to "know their place" ).....and I have always been on the "Why the f#ck not me?" end of life, an attitude I did my best to share .

The goods news is that the world (at least in much of SEA) is moving on........the price of that is more social unrest as folks question the status quo and then change it ("Why have I got the sh#tty end of the stick?" ).

Anyway, not much of a thread topic to drift off from .
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49   #69
CLOD

Boat: none

heck if one has read CF a while the answer to the OP questions would be obvious
Old 11-06-2013, 04:49   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Is there a caste system in sailing?

Have you not seen the film "Slum-dock millionaire"? ;-)
I don't know whether to Lol or to groan!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50   #71

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Inboard caste
Outboard caste
Engine free caste
Mono caste
Multi caste
Power caste
ROCNA caste
Anything but ROCNA caste
Under 30 caste
Over 50 caste
Toys caste
Toyless purist caste
I couldn't agree more. As the owner/sailor of a 40+foot racer cruiser monohull, w/o in-mast furling, with a bruce/rocna/fortress arsenal, I prefer not so be forced to be in the company of multihulls or (gasp!) power boats.

Why next you'll be forcing me to share my buckets with you!

A caste system - Hell no!

Boatman forgot to include
Those that have transat
Those that haven't
Those that have circumed
Those that haven't
Those that think they're water sailing">blue water sailing as soon as they can't see land
Those that blue water sail

and many, many more.

My personal impression is that if people see you can handle a boat, they will respect you for that and not worry too much about anything else

cheers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:50   #72
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Inboard caste
Outboard caste
Engine free caste
Mono caste
Multi caste
Power caste
ROCNA caste
Anything but ROCNA caste
Under 30 caste
Over 50 caste
Toys caste
Toyless purist caste
That's the sailors on the internet system

In the real world how many actually care?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:31   #73

Boat: 33ft sloop

Depends on where you are. In Holland not too many. Like the "Koninklijke" at Muiden.

Yachting here is going fast downhill, so pretentions become fewer.

Nonetheless I am not bothered.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:37   #74

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Nonetheless I am not bothered.

reminds me of the ol' gag -

Interviewer: so, what would you describe as your biggest weakness?
Interviewee: Honesty!
Interviewer: Honesty, eh!? i'm not sure I think that's a weakness..
Interviewee: I don't give a f@$k what you think!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:52   #75

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

As for marinas, it's proportionality tied to having a 400 gallon tank versus a 40 Gallon tank. Try to stay out of marinas if you can. Anchor out. Different crowd.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing