Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 04:55   #196
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Is There a Caste System in Sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagorio View Post
If you want to be successful in sailing, boat shows, or dealing with brokers, wear a Rolex!!!!
Well the Rolex isnt needed.

But when I go to a boat show:
I go by myself.
Wearing a shirt, open neck, with a dark jacket/blazer, trousers
Deck shoes.

That way I get onto any boat, get to the front of any line because the salesmen pick me out and haul me onboard. Any boat with invitation only viewing all of a sudden opens up!

I spose it just goes to show you that there are ways and means of doing things. If you are trying to get on a nice boat wearing last years thrown out shorts, greasy t-Shirt with hot dog sauce dripping down it from the shlong in your mouth, surrounded by a gaggle of kids wiping their snotty noses on anything available, while the wife yells at the top of her voice "Even if we did have any money I wouldnt buy this wreck" as you scream at the salesman: "Whaddameanwecantcomeon? You rich pricks hate us poor peasants. Its a class conspiracy!"

Yes it is a class conspiracy... you need a bit of class to get anywhere in this life. <Burp!><Fart!><Belch!> Like it or lump it.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 06:29   #197

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

When I was a kid, my family was lucky enough to have an average powerboat that we kept at a marina. It wasn't a yacht club or anything fancy, but it was nice. I'm not sure if you'd call it a caste system, but there were definitely cliques.

The 'Gold Coast' was where all of the bigger powerboats would mingle with each other, and largely ignored or looked down on the rest of us. I actually heard them refer to us as 'you people' once.

I always enjoyed watching them try to dock those big monstrosities when they took them out once a year. Very few of them had any concept of shiphandling. I was 14 and I could handle a boat better than the most double breasted of those rolexes.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 07:14   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
A thought just struck me... a lot of percieved snobbery comes from those involved in boating who belong to high end yacht clubs primarily peopled by the wealthy, some of whom sail, race or cruise local waters vs those without club affiliation who are looked down upon by those who are members.
Not being a 'joiner' but one who spent a number of years delivering boats, I enjoyed the company of the blazer and slack set but spent much of my time with the folks who fixed their own head. There are fine folks in both sets. Phil
I 'm with Capt. Phil. I tend to use my boat to get away from people and enjoy my solitude and not get too involved in social scenes. Not that I don't mind a good gam with fellow sailors either. I'm never jealous of someone with a bigger boat with more bell and whistles etc... I like my boat so much that at boat shows I never even feel the need to look at any of the boats on display either.

Fourteen years ago I was living aboard in New York and up along the face dock Rupert Murdoch's then 150' plus sloop Morning Glory pulls up and blocks my Hudson River sunset view. It was there for his wedding to Ms. Deng (the woman he is now divorcing). Even though he took my sunset view away for a few days I knew the boat would not be there forever. I still had my evening cocktail sitting on the bow watching the river traffic even with a curtailed view. I was doing this talking on the telephone to my girlfriend one evening (no cell phones then but, the dock slips did have landlines). I looked up and see Rupert Murdoch looking down at me. It appeared to me he had some envy of me just sitting on the bow of my 30 foot boat with my feet up and enjoying my beer. While he had to deal with all the prep for the wedding etc... I did feel a little sorry for him. What impressed me about him is when the wedding day came all the guests from politicians, TV personalities etc... had to take off their shoes before boarding the yacht. He did give them slippers to put on even got a pair myself along with one of the chocolate favors he gave the guest for attending the wedding. He really cared about his boat even though he had a large crew to maintain it.
Old 15-06-2013, 07:20   #199
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave0549jv View Post

I always enjoyed watching them try to dock those big monstrosities when they took them out once a year. Very few of them had any concept of shiphandling. I was 14 and I could handle a boat better than the most double breasted of those rolexes.
Showing yer age!.......bow thrusters pretty much put an end to the "good" entertainment .......only a mild compensation to hear the thruster on for 10 mins .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 07:46   #200

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I'm so poor I had to buy a monohull i couldn't afford a multi!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 08:20   #201

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Even though I do own a double breasted navy blue jacket with gold buttons, when I see somebody else's boat that literally costs one hundred times more than mine, I don't envy their money hemorrhage for one minute. I think even if I could afford one of those, where the cost of one fueling would finish the refit on my entire boat (heck, or even buy my boat outright for some of them) I just wouldn't want that load, that drain, that pressure on my life.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 08:51   #202

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

No matter how thick your wallet is, someone has a thicker one than yours. It is best to be comfortable and content with what you've got.

Mauritz
Being rich, is a person in good health and owes no one anything!
Old 15-06-2013, 14:12   #203
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
We were so poor we broke grains of rice in half so everyone could have some.
You had rice???? You were lucky!

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 14:31   #204

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
You had rice???? You were lucky!

Haha, I remember that skit ... so apt for the way this thread has gone lol. It now belongs on the joke thread.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:37   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Catamaran owners! In our travels, a high percentage of them have been 'snooty'. Certainly not all, but a high percentage. It's in part the money, cats are expensive. But there is something else, perhaps a need to justify the decision to be 'different' within the mostly monohull world?
There may be a reason for this. I'll talk to anyone, but you do notice that when talking to monohull owners, they'll almost always try to turn the conversation to the old mono vs cat thing. It gets boring listening to them saying how "all this space is nice, but they'd rather be on their boat in a blow".

Cat owners just accept the space as normal, and talk about anchorages, anchors, amps, solar panels, fridges, etc.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 10:34   #206
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23

If you stray from the Beneteaus or Jeanneaus and try to wander onto the 'Oyster' stand at a boat show without an appointment, you might think that there is some sort of segregation law in sailing..

But that is more to do with snobby people meddling with boats, rather than sailing itself being snobbish.

On the whole, I think that if there is a hierarchy amongst sailors it is all about sailing merit. Most real sailors will be more inclined to doff their cap to a Robin Knox Johnson or a Joshua Slocum than someone who is below decks while their crew of eight parks their brand new 65' Swan.

In fact, I think is fair to say that the enormity of the sea makes all sailors a little humble.

It is not really a caste system, since you can't change your caste. You can listen, learn and trust yourself to the seas and become a better sailor.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:45   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post

On the whole, I think that if there is a hierarchy amongst sailors it is all about sailing merit. Most real sailors will be more inclined to doff their cap to a Robin Knox Johnson or a Joshua Slocum than someone who is below decks while their crew of eight parks their brand new 65' Swan.

In fact, I think is fair to say that the enormity of the sea makes all sailors a little humble.

It is not really a caste system, since you can't change your caste. You can listen, learn and trust yourself to the seas and become a better sailor.
Perfect case in point. Rav and I see eye to eye. Doesn't matter that this is his first post and my 2000 and somthingth. That I have a fourth footer and he a twenty three. He is insightful and respects those that get along with Neptune. I would buy him his beverage of choice and get along with him just fine if I met him in person.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 12:56   #208

Boat: wharram tiki 26

I am so poor i have to build me own boat. The fact that it happens to be a catamaran does that make me a rich bastard?

Do I need to invest in a blue blazer and keep my epoxy encrusted shorts?

Or am I just above my station.?
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 13:53   #209

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I think that you need more salt, Salty!

Mauritz
Old 18-06-2013, 17:51   #210
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
No matter how thick your wallet is, someone has a thicker one than yours. It is best to be comfortable and content with what you've got.

Mauritz
Being rich, is a person in good health and owes no one anything!
"Being Rich ,is a person in good health and owes no one anything" My new favorite quote..!!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing