Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 16:24   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: is the MOB pole obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I'm not sure on a Mom and Pop cruising boat that a MOB pole is very useful. The effort and time used to launch one is probably counter to getting the boat stopped and turned around quickly. On a crewed race boat, you have enough people to handle getting the boat stopped, turned around and the pole launched. On a newly singled handed boat, throwing a cushion over, hitting MOB on the chartploter or instruments and getting the boat stopped is more than enough.
With my set up it takes about another 5 seconds. First throw the horseshoe and grab the pole and jerk up and out, & over she goes. If at night it takes a little extra effort to pull the lanyard on the strobe before throwing the horseshoe. With the strobe the MOB can see the pole too. It's mounted about 4' above the waterline.
Old 20-01-2013, 16:33   #17

Quote:
I'm not sure on a Mom and Pop cruising boat that a MOB pole is very useful. The effort and time used to launch one is probably counter to getting the boat stopped and turned around quickly. On a crewed race boat, you have enough people to handle getting the boat stopped, turned around and the pole launched. On a newly singled handed boat, throwing a cushion over, hitting MOB on the chartploter or instruments and getting the boat stopped is more than enough.
As a guy who doesn't have a MOB pole, I'd think on a short handed boat it's the most useful. On a fully crewed boat you can point, but in some chop you're going to lose a head high object (including the cushions tossed overboard) by the time you disengage the autopilot.

Even the MOB button seems of little use. When you get right down to it, how many people are sailing with quasi-reluctant partners that honestly don't have the chops to spin a canvased boat around in a blow with good wave action?

Part of the reason I don't have a MOB pole (and other doo-dads) is because it seems a little wonk-ish and workable in the marina when you have your plans in your head, but it would quickly deteriorate once you throw real conditions in.

No one ever makes threads about having an organized cockpit and not tripping on bs scattered all about, but I'd bet that's responsible for saving more lives than poles and jacklines.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 16:59   #18

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Just remember to paint the MOB pole the right colour so that it fits in with the rest of the boat's colour scheme.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Just remember to paint the MOB pole the right colour so that it fits in with the rest of the boat's colour scheme.
OK!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UD_Commissioned.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	53245  
Old 20-01-2013, 17:09   #20

Boat: Traditional 30

The pole IS VERY important. Forget about the people on board. It gives the MOB a place to swim to and has a psychological affect on him- that he is about to be rescued. Which in itself reduces panic and energy loss.

A plotter will only tell you where he 'was' not where he is (with an error of several wave lengths,by the time you get to push the button in the case of cabin mounted plotters) .

Try sailing into the sun, when there is a good chop on the water and look for a bucket or a hat. Its very hard. The flag on the top will at the very least have some shadowing to identify it. On the assumption the mob is conscious and has his scruples, he will swim to it and wait there.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:15   #21

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All I can say about this is , Are your Mates Obsolete ?? Mine are not ! so I have MOB and every other means of retriveing them !! just sayin get your thinking hat on and use it !!
Old 20-01-2013, 17:16   #22

Boat: Outbound 44

The pole may be very important, but not sailing the boat away from the MOB is even more important. Most poles do not launch as easily as claimed. When only 1 crew is left to deal with the situation, you have limited resources. Stopping the boat and turning around as quickly as possible probably gives you the best chance of a recovery. In reality on a Mom and Pop boat, the odds of a recovery are very small. Putting the most effort into staying onboard is the best payback.
Better than pole is a MOM8 type self launching system. Their big downside is the annual inspection.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:19   #23

At sea conditions are often such that even if you "get back" within a 100 ft.... it may still be hard to locate and position the boat. With the pole and light, you can start positioning the boat earlier.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:30   #24

From the US Sailing Quickstop directions:
Quote:
2. Provide immediate flotation.
Throw buoyant objects such as
cockpit cushions, life rings and so
on. These objects may not only
come to the aid of the victim, but will
“litter the water” where he went
overboard and help your spotter to
keep him in view. Deployment of the
pole and flag (dan buoy) requires too
much time. The pole is saved to “put

on top” of the victim in case the initial
manoeuvre is unsuccessful
http://offshore.ussailing.org/Assets...pD_1012091.pdf
Old 20-01-2013, 17:33   #25

Boat: CORBIN 39

I am somewhat surprised no one mentioned; a pole is good for the mob to swim to and follow the line to the bouy. it is very easy to search for the pole rather then the life bouy. also the boat can seek out the pole and find the mob easier.
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:49   #26

Quote:
That's just their opinion! One I wouldn't personally agree with. Ever boat and situation is different. One should set up the best system they can on their own boat and try it out with a dummy, in place of an unconscious person. Also in some rough seas.

In the Navy it was almost a weekly event. This is a drill, this is a drill. Man over board! And twice in my service is was real.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:52   #27

Lotta crew in the Navy.
Old 20-01-2013, 17:55   #28

Quote:
Lotta crew in the Navy.
Not on PBR's and Swifts. Although they were Army we squids had to go along sometimes.
Old 20-01-2013, 18:01   #29

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
I have to disagree with that. If a pole is correctly fitted its very simple to launch. Lift- twist- throw. If anyone thinks thats its too time consuming they should revise their system. The priority is to know where he is. Sending him just a life ring doesn't help if you cant find him.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 18:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Not on PBR's and Swifts. Although they were Army we squids had to go along sometimes.
The point was that my comments are really focused on a Mom and Pop boat, where an MOB means you are single handing the recovery. A lot of the 'plans' for recovery are unlikely to be executable by the single remaining crew and fall into the wishful thinking category. I would prefer a MOM8 over a pole launch anyday. I'm just not willing to have another annual maintenance item onboard. If the MOM8s were 3 year re-inspect I'd buy one. Getting a pole, light and bouy over, all tied together, is time consuming and error prone on most boats.

Tags
mob