Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:02   #16

Re: is the coast or the ocean more dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I didnt say Help was refused, Don from the Forster Rescue service guided me into there, And he was more than helpfull.
Which I am very gratefull for,
i was refering to the Port Macquirie boat, not yours.

Yep the guys from the rescue service are great and so are the guys at the fishers coop, or at least they used to be. i have a deal of repect for that bar and those who cross her staying the right side up without hitting the break walls.

Sorry i was not more careful in my gramma, and cause a misunderstanding
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Sorry, I misunderstood,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 13:19   #18

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have found that close to shore any where is the most dangerous situation for me,

I have had more trouble close to shore than out to sea, Sandbars, rocks, small boats, uncharted river beds, Ships, currents, No where to run if the weather is crap,

Out at sea. I just ran before the bad weather till it blew itself out.
My wind speed indicater was not working, so I had no idea what the actual wind speeds got up to,
One ship that went past said it was a force 6 on one day, But it was a lot stronger on other days,
I had waves higher than my top Spreader, I have a 12 metre mast,
Ships approaching at night are lit up like Xmas trees, so you cant miss them,
And they do crackle the VHF on 16, or say, Sailing vessel. They dont talk to you unless you call them, But I just turn my deck lights on, so they know, I know they are there,

I have an Autopilot, So I just enjoy the cruise and watch the ocean, Make a video once or twice a day, show the conditions or dolphins swimming in the hundreds,

Put my sails up or down for the conditions, Drop them down for the night and up again in the morning,

Out at sea, not a care in the world,

Near the shore, constant watch, gets very tiring,

Before I sailed, Have you got a sat phone, No, I havent, but you need one to stay in contact,

Why do I need to stay in contact, I can go 12 days with out talking to any one,
I dont need to talk to any one,
But you have to talk to people, Why,

Other people may have to talk to some one every day, thats their thing, Not mine,
If I want to talk to people, I will stay home and talk.
Talk to me when I get back,

I am not one of the herd, I dont need some one to hold my hand in every thing I do,

Its peacefull out there, Big waves, small waves, My boats sea worthy, I am safe on it,
I cant hit any thing, Floating containers are a different matter tho,

I love being at sea, I dont like being near the coast,

Yes I definately think being out at sea is safer, Thats why I was 40 miles off the coast coming down the Tasman,

Cheers,
Brian,
Brian,

Very well said. I've not been on the open ocean yet, but intend to be shortly. Can't wait. I agree if it's all about keeping your friends and appraised of every movement you make, stay on land.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 13:36   #19

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

It's not the water that's the problem, it's the hard stuff around the edges.
Old 23-03-2012, 13:36   #20

The coast. Deaths are confrimed there. At sea they're just "missing". :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 14:31   #21

I read the 2 slightly different news clips and since they were all asleep, presumably anchored, I will lay odds that the old boy got up to pee over the side and slipped or tripped on something. That is what causes so many deaths ,both off shore and inshore. It is stupid unless you are in a calm anchorage. Fishermen and duck hunters are the worst for this type of drowning but sailors do it also. Another really bad idea is to think that it is safer to use a bucket instead of a regular marine head. People think that those two seacocks are more dangerous than trying to get a bucket to the rail and back without spilling its contents. I wonder where the concentration is when manuvering with a bucket in hand? I once had a delivery crew member get mad at me because I wouldnt let him use the lee rail. I expect to reach port with the same crew I departed with.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 08:26   #22

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I say the more seaworthy a boat is the more danger is the coast . . . the less seaworthy a boat is the more danger is the ocean . . . in general.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 10:09   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It's been many many years since i sailed the waters you folks are speaking of, but Ive spent a lifetime of sailing in along the coast of the PNW, and dealing with bars is something all of us who sail there are very familer with!! But ANY coast, bars or not are a bunch more dangerous then blue water!! you only need to read the papers to see that ! On the west coast more boats are lost attempting to make bar crossings, then for most any other reason !! anyway thats been my observation over the yrs. This deal sounds like a bunch of things were just against this bar crossing ?? I was not aboard so it's kinda hard to say just what was nessary to try to save the vessel.just my 2 cents
Old 24-03-2012, 10:33   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
...... but the question that eventuated was is the coast or the ocean more dangerous for recreational vessels.
I honestly think an attitude that; one is less dangerous than the other, is quite frightening
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:11   #25

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Is The Coast Or The Ocean More Dangerous ?

In both areas the degree of danger can vary widely.

One reason the coast is safer is even though there are more things to hit, the weather can be managed,...mostly. If a bad storm is predicted you can choose not to go out. Not always an option in the deep ocean.

So I would say sometimes the coast is more dangerous, but you usually don't have to be there when it's at it's worst.

In a small vessel the coast has the option of a small island, or oil rig to duck behind for shelter.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:37   #26
abh

Equally dangerous/safe, the dangers are just somewhat different.
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 10:42   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

depends on the sailors on board....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 15:43   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
In a small vessel the coast has the option of a small island, or oil rig to duck behind for shelter.
Hmm.... not sure if I would second the advice regarding rigs. Typically this do not provide much shelter and most (all?) have exclusion zones around them. Unmanned rigs are (have?) installing security cameras and alarms etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 16:08   #29

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm.... not sure if I would second the advice regarding rigs. Typically this do not provide much shelter and most (all?) have exclusion zones around them. Unmanned rigs are (have?) installing security cameras and alarms etc.
I personally have ridden out storms behind one, works great. Just don't get so close you surf into it on the back side of a wave. It provides both a wind break, and eliminates breaking waves, and absorbs lightening strikes. The flare stack also provides light and heat. It was like sitting in a little pocket of calm.

Exclusion zones generally apply to rigs doing active drilling, (although imediately after the deepwater horizon incident they shoed off anyone near a rig for a while).

On unmanned rigs installing cameras, I personally don't care, as long as I don't contact the rig or drop anything below the surface, they dont have much cause to complain.

Oil rigs are preferred fishing areas, that's were all the fish hang out. The problem is finding a rig not already swarmed by several fishing boats.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 16:02   #30
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I personally have ridden out storms behind one, works great. Just don't get so close you surf into it on the back side of a wave. It provides both a wind break, and eliminates breaking waves, and absorbs lightening strikes. The flare stack also provides light and heat. It was like sitting in a little pocket of calm.

Exclusion zones generally apply to rigs doing active drilling, (although imediately after the deepwater horizon incident they shoed off anyone near a rig for a while).

On unmanned rigs installing cameras, I personally don't care, as long as I don't contact the rig or drop anything below the surface, they dont have much cause to complain.

Oil rigs are preferred fishing areas, that's were all the fish hang out. The problem is finding a rig not already swarmed by several fishing boats.
Good to hear that this has worked for you; just shows that things are different in different parts of the world.

Concern for security (or implied security) of oil and gas installations is clearly different in some waters.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger