Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 09:50   #31

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Is Teak Decks a deal breaker for you

I love the aesthetics and functionality of teak decks. I found them too hot to walk on in the tropics if not doused with water first. [Perhaps I have tender feet...?]

When we narrowed our focus while searching for our present boat to S&S designed Nauticat models [1980s-90s Nauticat 40, 43, and 52] we put teak decks on the exclude list. [Even though those decks are solid fiberglass with no coring...] This is because despite the screws not penetrating the deck, many boats we looked at of that vintage needed extensive work to refurbish/replace the original teak decks.

I view teak decks as a future liability based upon my observations of many well built vessels [but not personal experience...]

I also shied away from owner refurbished/removed teak decks for the same reasons...

The boat we purchased came from the factory with solid fiberglass nonskid decks [no teak] 1+ inches thick. Works well for us.

But I still love the look and feel of well installed and maintained teak/ faux teak on a deck...

Best wishes with your search.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 28-04-2016, 09:55   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
We prefer teak decks. Have had three boats with teak decks. Best non skid around, best looking decks, and easy to maintain as long as you do not apply any oils nor deck products to them. Just salt water rinse and every three or four years redo the caulking. Never sand, never apply TSP, and do not brush.
This. Treat a teak deck just like any other system on a boat. Let's say a boat is listed for $200K and will need a $100K redecking, offer $100K for the boat. Our new boat had the deck replaced 10 years ago and it has not been overly maintained so it will probably last another 10 years.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 10:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I love the aesthetics and functionality of teak decks. I found them too hot to walk on in the tropics if not doused with water first. [Perhaps I have tender feet...?]

When we narrowed our focus while searching for our present boat to S&S designed Nauticat models [1980s-90s Nauticat 40, 43, and 52] we put teak decks on the exclude list. [Even though those decks are solid fiberglass with no coring...] This is because despite the screws not penetrating the deck, many boats we looked at of that vintage needed extensive work to refurbish/replace the original teak decks.

I view teak decks as a future liability based upon my observations of many well built vessels [but not personal experience...]

I also shied away from owner refurbished/removed teak decks for the same reasons...

The boat we purchased came from the factory with solid fiberglass nonskid decks [no teak] 1+ inches thick. Works well for us.

But I still love the look and feel of well installed and maintained teak/ faux teak on a deck...

Best wishes with your search.

Cheers!

Bill
Are you saying your boat has 1" thick solid glass decks? No core? Are you sure? My gut says you need to look into that further. Never heard of that. But then, I don't know everything!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:42   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

"and teak needs salt water daily.[/QUOTE"

Which is just one more, of many, reasons it is a total deal crusher for me!]
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
"and teak needs salt water daily.[/QUOTE"

Which is just one more, of many, reasons it is a total deal crusher for me!]
They do NOT need salt water daily, unless you're in a woodie sitting at the equator, and have old fashion tarred seams. Teak's natural oils protect it and the silver "sluff" should not be washed off unless it gets real dirty. When you're sailing, the salt spray does enough washing of the deck
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:58   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
They do NOT need salt water daily, unless you're in a woodie sitting at the equator, and have old fashion tarred seams. Teak's natural oils protect it and the silver "sluff" should not be washed off unless it gets real dirty. When you're sailing, the salt spray does enough washing of the deck
Just point out that, for me, there is no way I would have teak decks. I have lived in the tropics for many years, and have seen far too many problems with teak decks to ever bother.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:03   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Just point out that, for me, there is no way I would have teak decks. I have lived in the tropics for many years, and have seen far too many problems with teak decks to ever bother.
And we have lived in the tropics for decades with teak decks and never had a problem. Have watched clueless newbies rip up teak decks on Cheoy Lees and Hans Christians only to find sold deck underneath and what they thought were soft spots were just lifting of the teak from the solid decking below. Moisture meters are worthless for decks. We had a Grand Banks core drilled due to moisture "problems" only to find the deck was dry as can be.
Old 28-04-2016, 13:28   #38

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Are you saying your boat has 1" thick solid glass decks? No core? Are you sure? My gut says you need to look into that further. Never heard of that. But then, I don't know everything!
Nauticat builds its decks without core. I'm not sure about the thickness. Usually they are ordered with teak. The nonskid deck could be a special case.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 16:09   #39

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Teak is a good medium. All decks will leak one day. If you give teak just a tiny bit of care it will repay you. Non-slip and beautiful. You can buy a lovely classic or a modern low cost production boat. Both require maintenance, both cost money, both have advantages and disadvantages. I love teak. I have had two boats with teak decks and a couple without. I would buy teak again without hesitation.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:10   #40

At least up through the 70s, Cheoy Lee layup was the entire hull and coach roof in one piece. No half hulls, not hull and then deck tie down. Solid glass, then teak added on top for the decks. So yes, some boats were solid glass. Incredibly tough. Expensive. Not done that way nowadays.
Old 28-04-2016, 17:52   #41

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40
Thumbs down Re: Is Teak Decks a deal breaker for you

Yes they are. We recently (February) got a new boat and passed on others that we looked at, liked, but had teak decks. The glued down ones that we saw did not look as robust as the screwed down ones so we passed on those as well.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:20   #42

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

10 years later I still love my teak decks along with all the rest of the teak brightwork. When I was looing for a boat I didn't really have a strong opinion either way. After looking at a couple dozen boats there were those with teak trim and those without. Those without made me feel like I was looking at bathtubs...........all white and all looked the same. A beautiful boat to me, then, and still is, a boat with lots of teak trim and decks. I've never understood the negative input about how much work exterior teak requires. If I had guess I would say my boat is 40 hrs max per year to maintain. I have to admit I like the comments about how beautiful it is by passers by.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:25   #43

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Glued down teak decks are awesome.

I thought they were a deal breaker until I saved over $100k buying a boat which needed what most thought was teak replacement. I restored the deck myself which took around 400 hours of my time, saved over $50k on the cost of restoration, and now have some beautiful woodwork that should last 10-15 years.

Would I do it again? Yes, definitely. Teak decks in our case is what made the deal possible. A deal maker... not breaker.

Pictured below is the stern deck prior to a final sanding to take off some excess caulking.
Beautiful - can't beat a properly cared for teak deck. I think the problem is that people don't look after their teak - expecting it to look after itself. I have seen some very nasty looking teak decks, but also some beautiful ones like yours.

For us, our teak now into it's fifth year, looks as good as the day we took delivery, and using Semco and a Winter cover, takes us less than three hours a year to maintain on a 50 footer.
I look at the same model yacht without the teak, and appreciate what a difference the teak makes to the look and feel.

Yours looks simply superb, and I suggest if you are not already using it, that you go with Semco to keep it that way. Once you have it done, one or two coats a year should be enough (and no, I don't sell it - unfortunately !)

Here's ours - not a patch on your top quality lay (I'm very envious), but at least it is still looking new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Te Anau Deck - Tunisia June 2015.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	123335  
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:30   #44

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
And we have lived in the tropics for decades with teak decks and never had a problem. Have watched clueless newbies rip up teak decks on Cheoy Lees and Hans Christians only to find sold deck underneath and what they thought were soft spots were just lifting of the teak from the solid decking below. Moisture meters are worthless for decks. We had a Grand Banks core drilled due to moisture "problems" only to find the deck was dry as can be.
Hear, hear !
Such a shame to hear of good teak being ripped up. It is beautiful stuff - on new or old boats.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:53   #45

Interesting replies from this group.

For me, Yes or No to teak only comes into play when two boats are not otherwise equal. I wont go searching for a boat with teak but if teak is present on a boat im otherwise dying to have then OK.

This isnt to be confused with "i can take it or leave it." If all boats were the same and i had a good alternative to teak then I will say NO. But therein lies the rub, boats are never equal.

Maybe the OP's question can be put another way. "Would you trade teak for skeg rudder and full keel? Would you trade teak for a mast that could be stuffed inside with floatation material? Would you trade teak for gaff sails if you wanted gaff? Would you trade teak for a low cabin height and minimal and small port lights? Would you trade teak for all of the above plus new sails and a paint job and engine and electric system?"

For me, its not about dealbreaking but what im trading, gaining, losing. Thats what would make the difference. But in all directions is it a huge factor or element in the decision? Of course.
CharlesV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck