Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 17:13   #91

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Is it stupid to take a racing style sailboat around the world?

Merlin is a wonderful boat to sail, but it's not my favorite cruising boat. The narrow hull means you have to heel it over 20-25 degrees to power it up. My Merlin deliveries started by putting taut lines the length of the cabin, and athwartship by the unenclosed head in the forward cabin. I think the latest deck has fixed it, but every time you dipped the bow under the helmsman got hit by the water coming down the deck about 5 seconds later.

Of course some people put up with a little discomfort for a boat which is faster than a gunboat 66 for about a fifth of the cost...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Ah, Merlin, what a boat she was back in the day

As you said she is still sailing, and still fast, even now.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 07:53   #92

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Oh, the boat will most likely make it. (old saw: it’s amazing what goes to sea...and comes back.)

But I can’t imagine it would be very comfortable. If speed is the object, there are much faster ways. It certainly wouldn’t be cruising around the world.
Old 28-11-2020, 10:32   #93

Boat: Tartan 40
Is it stupid to take a racing style sailboat around the world?

Our cruiser is sort of middle of road but definitely has race roots and speed. My perspective is everyone thinks of battling gales and heavy winds when cruising but the majority of cruising is in light to moderate breeze so unless you love motoring a good light air (and upwind) performer makes a big difference in hours under sail. We can be loaded for cruising and still make great miles in 6-8 kt breeze when many traditional cruisers are wallowing waiting for a gale
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 12:13   #94

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Oh, the boat will most likely make it. (old saw: it’s amazing what goes to sea...and comes back.)

But I can’t imagine it would be very comfortable. If speed is the object, there are much faster ways. It certainly wouldn’t be cruising around the world.
Mickeyrouse, Speed is not usually the object when someone chooses a race boat or a performance cruising boat to go cruising. That is a misconception.
The reason is more likely that they really like the “sailing” part of cruising and they like a boat which feels alive when it is sailing. They enjoy the sailing experience of the racing boat. Probably they like the fact that they can sail in light or heavy air and that they can go to windward without turning on the motor and the sail handling is easy and light.

The other misconception is that one has to give up some comfort if they choose to cruise on a race boat or performance cruising boat. “Comfort” is subjective thing. How do you define comfort? Is it a comfortable interior with soft cushions, a nice galley, good lighting? Is it a plush interior with rich wood and fittings and furniture suitable for an apartment ashore which looks luxurious? Perhaps your definition of comfort has to do with the way a boat feels at sea? Does it take the waves well or does it hobby horse? Does it wallow in light air or roll badly off the wind. There is nothing inherent about race boats which preclude comfort however you define it.

I’ve sailed many boats or all types and frankly I don’t see a substantial difference in comfort. My own boat is a pure race boat but it has a very comfortable interior, great for living aboard, great while underway, and it has a wonderful motion at sea. I prefer a boat which goes over waves instead of through them. I prefer a boat which does not stop dead in its tracks when confronted with a short, steep head sea. And I like the fact that no matter what size of following sea I get, the boat can easily steer through it and keep on course.

The only comfort complaint I have is that my cockpit is too small for entertaining and one cannot lie down in it, (so no sleeping on watch). This issue is unique to my boat, most racing boats or performance cruisers have decent cockpits.

So, in my view there is no truth to the claim that one has to give up comfort to cruise a race boat or performance cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1299-Upholstry & Judy.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	227821  
Old 28-11-2020, 17:40   #95

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Racing style boat for cruising? Nothing wrong, if that's your style, but beware the inconveniences. Running backstays, triple spreaders, bendy masts, no footrails, moveable ballast necessary (crew), minimum hull construction, poor or non-existent mooring cleats and anchor gear, dark interiors with no windows, the list goes on.

Certainly possible to modify such a boat for cruising. Not for me because I won't go to sea with a bolt-on keel.

Tags
boat, racing, round the world, sail, sailboat