Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 07:15   #91

Re: Is it still a Buyer's Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
The market for sailboats in the USA has never been great. The buy new throw it out mentality has kept the market full. With the age of sailors getting older more boats come to market. There is always a little "spring" bump that will end soon. Look around Craig's list, eBay and Yacht world no shortage of boats.

Excellent point. Part of the psychology seems to be a willingness to pay a lot to purchase or outfit a boat, but a lack of enthusiasm in maintaining a boat.

I guess when you're purchasing a boat, you're buying a dream, but when you own a boat, it's more of an ongoing reality. There are lots of boats at marinas that don't even get too many visits.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 09:15   #92

Re: Is it still a Buyer's Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Probably a bit of that.

But perhaps also a fashion thing?, or at least yachts moving off the "nice to have" list for so many.....there will have been folks who previously would have signed the loan form (if one had been available during last 5 years) but instead bought / got involved with another activity and their window (for them) to start on the Yacht thing is gone..........coupled with that some folks who previously bought Yachts simply discovered that they were more of a PITA and cost (for them) than the brochure mentioned , so won't be coming back into the market - including those who got fingers burnt from a forced (or simply a prudent) sale, whilst the buying and owning numbers were still fresh enough to be painful (when compared against the sale proceeds).

All told what I am suggesting is that the "Happy times" for boat sales (new and s/h) won't be coming back even when (if?!) the economy does - especially given that most of the stock from the explosion in boat sales over the previous 20(?) years won't be dissapearing from the market anytime soon.

But a good boat at a good price (even if at a premium) will always sell - and likely will always still be easy enough to shift a real POS (thanks to E-bay etc).....it's just the 90% in the middle (excepting niche markets) that I think will have to accept the new reality for a while yet.......
That too. There is a crap load of uncertainty about the economy and what the next few years are going to look like. I know a lot more people hoarding cash than saying, "I know what I need. A new yacht!"
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote