Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2013, 17:43   #16

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Is it still a Buyer's Market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
One would think that they would have somewhat the same trend.

Although a problem with boats is the difficult time people have getting loans for 30+ year old boats.
"One would think that they would have somewhat the same trend."

I agree. Instead of calling someone out for what they genuinely feel, I just say, show me the numbers.

Houses are down and boats up???? it does not compute, but if someone has actual list price vs sold prices and sales volumes and whatnot, I have no choice but to agree if the numbers go up. I don't personally see it, but if someone can show me other than making a statement with no data, then I'll believe.
Old 13-04-2013, 17:50   #17

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
"One would think that they would have somewhat the same trend."

I agree. Instead of calling someone out for what they genuinely feel, I just say, show me the numbers.

Houses are down and boats up???? it does not compute, but if someone has actual list price vs sold prices and sales volumes and whatnot, I have no choice but to agree if the numbers go up. I don't personally see it, but if someone can show me other than making a statement with no data, then I'll believe.
Where do we get this data?
It seems to me his statement made sense simply by living through the recession and being actively out there hands on.
Are there stats to approve or disapprove his assesment?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:50   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well, it's not nice for the folks that are in it but a lot of people are buying boats and campers/rv's because they can't afford a house anymore. This actually fuels the market a bit but at the low end only.

The high end is still good I think; not everybody lost everything...
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 17:56   #19
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
This sounds opposite of housing if you are saying the market has gone up.

I sell houses for a living and never quote anything without providing stats. Can you provide any solid statistics from a 3rd party showing listing and sold prices and volumes of sales?
You are funny. What do you think IMO means? Take a guess........ If you sell homes, you have to know that the home prices have substantually recovered since 2009. I don't need to privide any statistic's on that do I?

I'm fairly sure I bought my boat the the bottom, though I paid asking price for it, as is, where is. I've been watching prices for a long time now and think my opinion is fairly accurate.
Old 13-04-2013, 17:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Where do we get this data?
It seems to me his statement made sense simply by living through the recession and being actively out there hands on.
Are there stats to approve or disapprove his assesment?
"Where do we get this data?"
for boats, honestly I don't know.

The reason I say that I don't believe stats without solid comps is this:

As stated earlier. I have people who tell me all day long their neighborhood is going up in price, I pull actual numbers and don't see it. I am not saying he is right or wrong, as in the movie Jerry McGuire "Show me the money"

The formatting is off when I pull this into the forum, but here, look

This is a report to show the average home price for a home located in:
My Neighborhood, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, detached single family home on .2-.4 acres

All homes regardless of bedrooms, bathrooms and lot size still follow the trend.

This report is not intended to show actual value for 1 particular property. This report is intended to show the market trend regarding average prices and units sold.

YEAR # OF HOMES SOLD AVERAGE PRICE

2000 25 150k

2001 42 182K

2002 40 204K

2003 31 210K

2004 48 265K

2005 25 320K

2006 38 348K

2007 27 348K

2008 32 325K

2009 20 302K

2010 25 264K

2011 35 262K

One of my neighbors sold their home and the guy across the street asked why they were giving their house away. ( I was not the agent) The guy across the street told me that the values were up! The house sat on the market for about a year and after moving their price down by about 30k, they got an offer for full price and then paid an additional 5% in buyer closing cost. (I don't work where I live because I value my privacy and don't even tell my neighbors what I do for a living because I don't want to talk to them about the market every time I see them). It's just funny all of the misconceptions we actually hear and so often they are based on nothing but emotion or what someone else said that was totally incorrect and we regurgitate this information and it keeps going around wrong.
Old 13-04-2013, 18:11   #21

U.S. Home Price Rise May Cut FHA Shortfall in Obama Budget - Bloomberg

Biggest home price rise since the bubble is latest sign of housing recovery - Mar. 26, 2013

Just in case you needed statistic's
Old 13-04-2013, 18:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You are funny. What do you think IMO means? Take a guess........ If you sell homes, you have to know that the home prices have substantually recovered since 2009. I don't need to privide any statistic's on that do I?

I'm fairly sure I bought my boat the the bottom, though I paid asking price for it, as is, where is. I've been watching prices for a long time now and think my opinion is fairly accurate.
If you took what I said as being offensive or if I came across that way, my apologies as that was not my intention.

It's just that all day long, in MY market, I don't see the upward trend. The general statement that holds true more often than not is this: if you bought or refinanced your equity away anytime between 2006 and present day, you are underwater. I don't see prices going up in my market (between Baltimore and DC), but hear about it all day long. The numbers that I have posted are fact and the talk I hear all day long contradicts the actual facts that I pull. I do the reports for neighborhood after neighborhood even challenging agent friends of mine to tell me a neighborhood they think is "going up", my trend shows the same over and over.

Once again, if I offended, I am sorry as that was not my intention. I just like numbers;-)
Old 13-04-2013, 18:20   #23

Let's agree that we each have a different opinion of what is going on in the marketplace.

It's the internet, we can each find whatever we want on here, just google it.

LPS: Home prices rise, but still down 21.4% from peak levels | HousingWire
from the link above.
Despite price gains, the average home price is still 21.4% below peak levels set several years back. Yet, housing analysts have routinely said the previous peak was not necessarily a norm for the housing market.
Old 13-04-2013, 18:25   #24

No problem, I didn't mean to be thin skinned. No doubt prices are still lower than they were in 2007 in most areas, but I think up from the low of '09-'10.
Old 13-04-2013, 18:26   #25

/tiphat
Old 13-04-2013, 18:42   #26

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Investors are buying houses to rent them, that has caused housing prices to come up off the bottom. My opinion is we have fully tapped the government spending to create a recovery and free money to prop up the stock market.
The next downturn there is no stopping it from the US government. Can't borrow anymore.
Just like all the times before, the next one is worse than the last one, so the next one is going to be a real disaster. It has been 5 years, most recovery last 5-7 years, guess what is coming next... particularly if people start to think everything is OK now, that is clear sign disaster is straight ahead.
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 20:25   #27

Boat: Ericson 35-2

There is also a fairly good chance of a Japan-like scenario. Zero interest rates, relatively high unemployment, but little inflation and virtually no growth for 20-odd years in their case.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 20:33   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It is ALWAYS a Buyer’s market unless you are a broker trying to convince a novice buyer
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 21:17   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
No problem, I didn't mean to be thin skinned. No doubt prices are still lower than they were in 2007 in most areas, but I think up from the low of '09-'10.
So far, the only evidence you've offered has been your impression, although your impression was in the form of a hard percentage.

I think you get into trouble very quickly offering hard percentages based on an impression.

Either you have the goods to support your assertion, or you don't.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 21:21   #30

If you have those statistics about boats, I'd be interested in seeing them.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote