Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 12:43   #61

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Is current carbon tech safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
CSM is not used to bulk up thickness (well, it shouldn't be, at least). The purpose of CSM in a layup is to help with print-through on the gelcoat side and to help with bonding between layers of the real structural glass (cloth, stitched fabric, roving, etc). In the first use, it should be only as thick as necessary. In the second use, it should be thin - for example, 18oz biaxial fabric will use a 0.75oz CSM between layers.

If it is being used to make a layup significantly thicker, then it is being used incorrectly and corners are being cut - or it is just a cheap, non-structural part.

Mark
"Should" !
You are being a tad extreme in the "incorrect" statement, folks will do what they do for their own reasons. I am not going to judge that because I do not know their reasons.
I will state though, that if you are engineering a membrane using the skins as the key elements, it is a totally different structure than a solid mass of goop - whatever that goop comprises. At the end of the day, both can do the same job, albeit in differing manners and with different time and cost.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:22   #62

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
You are being a tad extreme in the "incorrect" statement, folks will do what they do for their own reasons. I am not going to judge that because I do not know their reasons.
Sorry, I was addressing my comments to be about commercial boat builders. It is unlikely any of them outside very small boats (bass boats, jet skis, small lake boats, etc) are using CSM the way you described. Certainly, nobody can speak for those who are building things as amateurs, and I didn't mean to.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 13:55   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Typically composite aircraft have conductive material added to the composites for Lightning Strike Prevention, such as a copper mesh included in the layups. In most places the 787, for instance, uses a wire mesh, but in some extremities (wingtips, nacelles, tails) metal foils are used instead.

Lightning strike protection strategies for composite aircraft
Lightning strike protection strategies for composite aircraft : CompositesWorld
http://www.dexmet.com/1_pdf/LSP%20fo...20Aircraft.pdf
Faraday's cage if memory serves me? Probably the same logic of grounding shrouds. I would imagine grounding all chain plates would be the ticket?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current