Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2019, 08:47   #1

Is China impacting ocean fish stocks with lawless fishing fleets

Over and over again I read accounts of Chinese fishing vessels all over the world breaking international fishing treaty's. And fishing in other countrys waters with there AIS turned off. And when boarded reports of vast quanties of sea life of every kind with no regard to limits or protected species. How long can this take place without substantial impact to stocks. I know some other countrys do it. But dominance of the seafood market is one of China's stated goals. This dominance could only come through decimation of the existing ocean stocks. Yes ? no ? maybe ? And why.
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 17:26   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: Is China impacting ocean fish stocks with lawless fishing fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
Over and over again I read accounts of Chinese fishing vessels all over the world breaking international fishing treaty's. And fishing in other countrys waters with there AIS turned off. And when boarded reports of vast quanties of sea life of every kind with no regard to limits or protected species. How long can this take place without substantial impact to stocks. I know some other countrys do it. But dominance of the seafood market is one of China's stated goals. This dominance could only come through decimation of the existing ocean stocks. Yes ? no ? maybe ? And why.
Not just the Chinese though is it. It's near 8 billion people wherever they are from. Scientists have estimated a long term sustainable global population at 1 billion.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 10:10   #3

Re: Is China impacting ocean fish stocks with lawless fishing fleets

Yes, we run into off shore multi-boat factories running without AIS from many different countries, and yes decimation is already upon us.

See http://www.fao.org/newsroom/common/e.../en/stocks.pdf
Per this only 23% of world fishing stocks have room for additional exploitation without impacting sustainability.

Said another way: 77% of fishing stocks can not support any additional fishing or already are in demise.

Tags
China, fish, fishing