I'm looking for the right boat
to jump in for the adventure, starting July 2018.
The adventure in short:
- overall one year sailing with my family
(we are 4 including 2 kids
- 8 and 10 years old)
- start with 4 months in Mediterraneum (starting from Rome, Italy), then moving to Canary islands for the passage
to St. Lucia
- staying in Caraib going north up to Florida
, until May 2019
- still to be decided: going back or sell the boat
in US and take a plane...
Info about myself:
- have always been sailing in mono-hulls in Mediterraneum, my wife and myself love sailing and we normally have smiles on our faces when the boat tilts
- have never been doing passages (more then 2 days without land)
- have rented one time a lagoon 420
, and even if we loved the space aboard, we really lacked the sailing feel that we have with a mono-hull
- I am well aware that for the Mediterraneum trip, a monohull
will fit just fine and we will enjoy it a lot
- I am actually looking to buy either:
- a sun odyssey 49 or similar
- a lagoon 380
- in Italy
there are plenty of monohulls to look for, but very few cats, therefore it will be much easier to find a mono-hull in the right conditions and with the right equipment
, compared to the lagoon
is approx 150k€ so the boat will be 5-10 years old for the mono-hull, 10-15 years old for the lagoon
The questions to you, considering that I have NEVER been in the caraib before, are:
- in the atlantic passage with a monohull
, is it going to be very annoying because the boat will be very unstable (waves, winds,, ...) or not? I'm sure the cat will be much more comfortable in this respect, but I wanted to hear from people who did it already...
- will I have any type of trouble with the keel
of a monohull in Caraib (2.00 meters depth), if I want to fully enjoy the wonderful islands all around? Will I be able to get "close" to the shore? In normal conditions, how far shall I drop the anchor
in a bay, in order to be safe and have 3m depht with low tides?
- in general, do you think using a monohull will jeopardize the experience of sailing and living onboard in caraib for 5 months?
Many thanks in advance to all of you who will help me clarifying the situation!