Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 16:00   #31

Boat: San Juan 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I got the Ipad largely for the video and bookreading function with a much better battery efficincy than my laptop has. For chartering, I won't even take my lap top.

My concern is also how well it will hold up. I know many have lost Iphones to salt air, myself included which is not covered by the warranty.

One thing the apple store couldn't even answer for me when I bought mine was whether or not it accepts RAW images. If anyone has the answer to that, let me know. (I currently don't have the camera to Ipad accesories). For me that's a part of the decision as to whether or not to take my laptop.
The iPad Camera Connection kit setup does not allow direct manipulation of RAW images; instead it creates an "optimized" .JPG version of the file.

If image processing is important to you, stick with your laptop. The iPad gives up a lot of features in favor of sleekness and simplicity.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 17:34   #32

One thing to keep in mind about the iPad, it is NOT a good device for content creation (pictures, videos, webpages), it's an awesome content absorption device tho.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 17:40   #33

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
The iPad Camera Connection kit setup does not allow direct manipulation of RAW images; instead it creates an "optimized" .JPG version of the file.

If image processing is important to you, stick with your laptop. The iPad gives up a lot of features in favor of sleekness and simplicity.

Thanks - It's not so much editing that I'm looking for. I'm just wondering if I can stick the RAWs there to view, delete what I don't want and have a safe resting place other than my sd card. If it converts them to Jpegs, then for my purposes, there's really not much sense shooting RAW in the first place.

I'm probably okay going jpeg anyways for that purpose - something I'm still sorting out.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad