Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2023, 15:12   #1

Boat: Beneteau 463
Insurance without survey?

I lost my wallet so my autopay on my insurance broke with my new card. Now I am lapsed. It seems any insurance wants a survey to start up again. I have asked for several quotes but everyone wants a survey. My most recent survey is 4 years ago. So now I seem stuck. I can't get a survey because do crane will lift me without insurance. Not to mention I just dont want to spend the money on a new survey $$$$. Does anyone know of insurance you can get without a current survey? We are a 1997 Beneteau 463.

Todd
SV River Song
prajna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 15:40   #2

Boat: Endeavour 32
Re: Insurance without survey?

I acquired liability coverage as a rider to my home owners. That would at least get you started.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 17:20   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Have you asked if they will accept your old survey ... I didn't get a survey when I bought my boat, but my insurance asked for a survey ... the seller gave me a 5 year old survey, and the insurers were happy enough.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 17:28   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajna101 View Post
I lost my wallet so my autopay on my insurance broke with my new card. Now I am lapsed. It seems any insurance wants a survey to start up again. I have asked for several quotes but everyone wants a survey. My most recent survey is 4 years ago. So now I seem stuck. I can't get a survey because do crane will lift me without insurance. Not to mention I just dont want to spend the money on a new survey $$$$. Does anyone know of insurance you can get without a current survey? We are a 1997 Beneteau 463.

Todd
SV River Song
A 4 year old survey will probably get you by, but you are going to need a survey even for liability only insuranace, no way around it.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 17:28   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajna101 View Post
Todd
SV River Song

Underwwiters are quite specific. Did they ask for a "survey" or an "out of water survey" ?
Old 27-03-2023, 17:52   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Underwwiters are quite specific. Did they ask for a "survey" or an "out of water survey" ?
My experience with that ( Canadian insurers) is that become unnecessarily expensive! a number of years ago with a previous insurer they decided that they absolutely had to have a survey in August. My response was that I can get an in the water survey./ They replied with that was OK but a full second survey would be required at haul out! 2 surveys in the same year! No thanks. Switched insurance companies at that point!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 20:43   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

BoatUS let me do a self-survey with many, many pictures. But that was 8 years ago and under $30KUSD declared value. Geico and Progressive were the same way.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 21:58   #8

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33

When I purchased my boat last year in Washington State, I first went to US Boat (Geico) for a quote, but they required all the major findings from the pre-purchase survey to be fixed prior to coverage. Since I planned to do many of them myself, that was going to take some time. I was able to get coverage through Progressive without having to provide a survey. The boat replacement value is lower than I paid, but it was the most expedient coverage. Cost between the two wasn’t much different as I can recall.
DD
DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 01:50   #9

Boat: Moody 376

When I put a policy on my 88 moody project a few years ago, progressive didn’t need ask for a policy. 300k liability and 60k agreed upon value.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 05:35   #10

I just got insurance on my boat with no survey, it's liability only and hull coverage can be obtained once I get a survey.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 05:49   #11

I had this happen about 3 years ago. I was without a dirt house and living on the boat, however my number on file was my cell phone and my E-mail still hadn't changed. My mail was going to my brother's house where my renewal sat in a pile.

After I found out my insurance lapsed, I called my agent and asked why the neither the agent nor the insurance company bothered to call me about my lapsed policy. IMHO, while I accepted responsibility, I felt the insurance agent had some culpability here as well.

Agent agreed and lobbied the underwriter to re-instate the policy. What I had to do is pay the entire premium in a single payment and sign an attestation that the vessel did not incur any damage during the time the policy had lapsed.

I would start with your agent and insurance company and ask them how they let it lapse.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 06:07   #12
SVF

Boat: CS36T - In Refit

Just got insurance with Progressive without a survey. My agent mentioned said the underwriter's might request one later on, but it's less likely for under 50k value.

Either way, I was able to get the COI I needed for haul-out.
SVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 07:57   #13

Boat: Hylas 54

I got insurance with an in water survey plus a professional divers report that all looked good below the waterline.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 09:05   #14

Boat: Bavaria 38E

The age of the boat might affect the requirement for a survey to your benefit, going forward, if not more than 10 yr old. If the boat is 20 or more yr old that will it make it hard to avoid. Nevertheless, I used a 2-yr-old + (i.e., barely beyond two years old) in-water survey to change my insurance to State Farm from GEICO less than a year ago; 22-yr-old boat. With State Farm we can pay monthly premiums w/o penality; no added fee.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 09:37   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

this stuff is really all over the place. It seems like no to insurance companies or even experiences with the same insurance company are the same.

A data point., I have progressive. No survey required.

I wasn’t able to get comprehensive because the boat wasn’t finished. It’s getting a lot closer. Might be able to get comprehensive soon.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, survey