Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 05:45   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Insurance Question

OK, I've been with USAA forever, so I gave them a call. For boats less than 250K they shuffle you off to Progressive. I got a quote for a 100K boat (ten yrs old) for 1,500 a yr at 1,000 deductible, 5,000 deductible for named storms. Didn't need a named storm plan or anything I've heard about here.
Is this a good price? What questions should I ask them before I purchase the insurance?
No questions about experience were asked, they said they would add this boat to my other boats policy.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 05:51   #2

Boat: Slocum 43
Re: Insurance question

That seems like a fairly good quote. Typical deductible and names storm coverage. Find out the cruising area limitations. Not sure where you are but it may limit you to location.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 06:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Panhandle of Fl most likely. I'll check on cruising area, but with work being what it is, I can't go far, yet.
Soon as I have a sailing boat, I'll update my signature, but as of now only have a couple of smaller power boats
Old 29-01-2014, 07:17   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, I've been with USAA forever, so I gave them a call. For boats less than 250K they shuffle you off to Progressive. I got a quote for a 100K boat (ten yrs old) for 1,500 a yr at 1,000 deductible, 5,000 deductible for named storms. Didn't need a named storm plan or anything I've heard about here.
Is this a good price? What questions should I ask them before I purchase the insurance?
No questions about experience were asked, they said they would add this boat to my other boats policy.
First, there are many other factors. What level of liability coverage and personal injury? What about salvage and clean up? That is frequently a big difference between true marine insurers and others and the cost of salvaging a boat and cleaning up any spillage can be huge. What is the coverage on all the electronics?

Now while the rate sounds reasonable at 1.5% the only way to be sure is to get a competitive quote as well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 07:24   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Check to make sure that is a replacement policy and not a depreciation policy. While the latter are much less expensive, you lose big time if you need to make an actual claim for lost gear - a lighting strike will essentially not be covered.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 08:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
First, there are many other factors. What level of liability coverage and personal injury? What about salvage and clean up? That is frequently a big difference between true marine insurers and others and the cost of salvaging a boat and cleaning up any spillage can be huge. What is the coverage on all the electronics?

Now while the rate sounds reasonable at 1.5% the only way to be sure is to get a competitive quote as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Check to make sure that is a replacement policy and not a depreciation policy. While the latter are much less expensive, you lose big time if you need to make an actual claim for lost gear - a lighting strike will essentially not be covered.

Mark
OK, will do. Got any contact info for a decent insurance company?
I asked specifically about named storms and lightning. She also brought up keep receipts of any equipment, like fishing gear or portable generators etc as that was covered as well, but I didn't know to ask about the difference between a depreciation and replacement policy, good point.
Old 29-01-2014, 08:17   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

I would suggest that you at least talk to a marine insurance broker. I was going to go the route of simply getting my own quotes during my last purchase and my broker suggested a guy I should talk to. While yes, he was making a referral to a friend, the subsequent conversation with the broker was a real education. He was extremely knowledgeable and grilled me with questions about the boat, the survey, and how I was going to use the boat. Ended up going through him and ended up getting insurance through Seaworthy that I am very comfortable with.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 10:56   #8

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

Progressive won't go above 35' length. Darnit - that sounded pretty good to me!
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
It's only as good as the coverage and we don't know all of that. A lot of people have found great deals that left them very short when it came time to need it.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:17   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
You sure? Did you go through the USAA route, the rule they use for USAA vary a little from their normal apparently. I need to check that as I may end up with something a little bigger than 35. As BanB said, gotta know what I'm buying first. I'd hate to buy boat insurance that didn't cover it while it was afloat or something
Old 29-01-2014, 11:27   #11

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Anybody had a problem with renewals in SEA? When we renewed this year our broker informed us that there was a 25% premium increase due to the deficiencies of the yards and lack of quality surveyors in this part of the world. They said that the underwriters were experiencing significant cost increases for repairs due to lack of qualified workers and limited oversight of work. Also stated that the underwriters were considered about the quality of hardstand equipment as well as haulout lifts and then stated that even firefighting and other safety factors were a concern. They even added a 250 mile offshore limitation to the policy which in the end agreed to drop. Named storm, full pollution and cleanup protection as well as salvage costs are covered as before and I won't mention the liability limit just in case but a 25% increase seems unjustified.

When I went after them a little harder they suggested that I could maybe have a Lloyd's certified surveyor to inspect the yard(s) where I would have the boat hauled and stored for the off season while we were away and that depending on the report the increase may be waved. How much do you think that would cost!!!!
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 11:32   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Insurance is a rip off, pure and simple. I usually self insure, my house and this boat are the exception, just too much money in either for me to recover from should the unthinkable happen
Old 29-01-2014, 11:40   #13

One other thing to watch out for is "implied warranty of suitability or seaworthiness." A policy needs to exclude that. Insurers are using that to deny claims where a boat breaks apart in some way or capsizes. They then say you and/or the manufacturer implied the boat was seaworthy. Since it wasn't, they, they insurer are not liable.

Clauses like this are why the person above mentioned a marine insurance broker.

We are insured through Pantaenius.
Old 29-01-2014, 11:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Insurance is a rip off, pure and simple. I usually self insure, my house and this boat are the exception, just too much money in either for me to recover from should the unthinkable happen
That's the reason for insurance. It's a risk we can't or don't want to take on our own so we pay an insurance company for letting us share the risk with others. That's not a ripoff. That's a legitimate business service.

Now there's one insurance I purchase even though we could afford to self insure. That is medical. The reason is that they negotiate better fees than you or I could. A hospital would probably bill us three times what it bills the insurer. Doctors would bill more.

I would hope you don't self insure auto liability. That's another place where the claims can run into the millions.
Old 29-01-2014, 12:18   #15

Boat: Tayana 37

A64, regardless of whether you get replacement insurance, don't try to self insure for liability. If, God forbid, your boat caught on fire at a marina, you'd be liable for all the damage to the marina and other boats. Well, if yours was the cause if the fire. That could be a pretty hefty bill. Make sure you've got enough liability coverage to CYA.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance