Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 21:33   #16
Kai Nui

Triumphs, BSA's Nortons, I have owned all of them, but I think my favorite was the TT500 Triumph. Rode an Ariel Square 4 once. Not sure what all the hype is about.
OK, I guess I have wandered enough.
Tigerlily, Progressive and AIG are two companies that insure boats in that size range. Boat US uses AIG as thier carrier. There are lots of others, but those are two US firms that you might look into. A start would be www.progressive.com I am not sure AIG has any info online. I had farmers on a powerboat I had about 12 years ago, and they were not too expensive for full coverage. I think it was about $600 per year for a 26' gas engine power boat.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04   #17

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
To continue this thread wander some more:

I'm a printer by trade and we use a totally bastardized system of tenths of inches! Now what the h*ll is a tenth of an inch! I automatically see things in tenths of inches because I've been using the system for 18 years but you won't find it on any ruler you buy at Home Depot. Maybe gunsmiths have rulers in tenths, too. Hence .30-06, .22, etc.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:13   #18
cruiser

Metric System Timeline

Here it is:

http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/dates.htm
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:06   #19

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Metric

Well it would seem that the US is talking about it, for two hundred years. Meanwhile NZ switched quite a few years ago. It certainly caused some confusion, but with all things like this you just have to do it. The kids are learning metric and it is becomming natural for them.
Words from two songs: Well the M1 ain't much fun till you try and do the ton.
Comming into Los Angelees, bringing in a couple of kees.
A British group singing about doing 100 mph on a motorcycle and Arlo bringing in a couple of kilograms of something.
I added my boat to my farm policy, to address the original question.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 18:18   #20

Quote:
BC Mike C posted
Agreed, the nuts and bolt thing is a bit of a screw up.
Nut. Bolt. "Screw up." Priceless.
Old 08-03-2009, 15:28   #21

Boat: 1986 Beneteau First 305 31 feet "Exocet"
Whoa....boys! How did we veer from insurance to metric...Lol. Anyway, I am a surveyor and metric is the only way to go for that. The imperial system is mumbo jumbo even tho I grew up with it. But I'm sure there are applications where it is more applicable and useful. I just applied for insurance and got an off the cuff quote of $700 per year for a 1985 Beneteau First 305 (31 feet). However, have not been asked yet about experience, where it is going, driving record etc. so who knows. Our first boat insured was a 1976 26' Paceship at a cost of $350/year. We had no experience (but had Canadian Power Squadron certificates which teaches everything from how to read charts, plot courses, what do all the bouys mean etc.) and were only allowed to sail around Vancouver Island. Driving records were never mentioned. If driving records are now involved, it will have to be under my record as my husband likes to test out other people's bumpers in reverse mode...lol. No fear, folks, he is extremely careful when it comes to the boat. Thanks for making me aware of the fact that if you want to sail to Mexico etc. that is going to cost you a lot more. Now I wonder what the true cost will be when all information is revealed. I certainly would not want just liability insurance. Last time we were out (Feb 22-27 this year), our dinghy ($5000 value) just floated away from overnight moorage. Apparantly the exhaust pipe from our diesel forced air furnace melted the line. We were in Pender Harbour at the time. Amazingly enough we found it floating out in Georgia Strait at least two nm south from the entrance to Pender Harbour. Just amazed, considering that it had to float at least 2nm through a maze of little islands before it even entered Georgia Strait. This was on a totally windfree night. That is what has encouraged us to get insurance on everything. The biggest thing going through my mind when we noticed the dinghy missing was, "Where the #@&$ are we going to find $5000 to replace it?" We now make sure that we tie it up away from the exhaust pipe. Lessons learned, they never end.....
linla60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 15:49   #22

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
a pint..is a pound the world around....just pour me another pint...

Tigerlily, I use Boat US insurance they have been very good.
Old 08-03-2009, 20:43   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The metric conversation is much better!

Its taken us 1 whole generation to change imperial to metric and theres still hang over...

When we in Australia changed it was quite quickly as the govt decided (rightly) that having parallel systems wouldnt work.

It changed in 1973 when I was 13. I still 'think' in a foot for measurment but forcem myself to use meters.
Temperatures are fine its celcius in my thinking.
Speed is KMs as thats what the car shows.

Nicolle who is a bit youger than me ( ) doesnt think in any measurements and is confused by both. But most youger people who have grown up with it will not know how fast a mile per hour is, or how far, 35 mph is slow, 60kmph is OK.

It does take a full generation. But I think its worth it for all countried to be the same At least I measure th same in China, australia and Mombassa... I only get into difficulty when I am asked in the USA....... by Customs to spread my legs: "Is that 1 foot or 2?"

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:29   #24

Boat: Beneteau 305
When the metric system came to Canada, I embraced it whole-heartedly. My tool box is now complete with a metric cresent wrench (also known as an adjustable wrench), I only have metric shovels and rakes, metric axe and chainsaw, even a metric hammer. Metric system is great, now the only thing I am having problem with is that US metric money, somehow my money does not really convert well into metric US cash????
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:07   #25

My home owners policy covers liability on all my boats free. I've never had nor ever will have FULL coverage. It's not a requirement from any lender as I pay cash for all my toys. Damage to MY boat is my responsibility as it should be.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:08   #26

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
Second, try Boat US (West Marine), they will usually write a policy for a newer fiberglass boat, even if the owner has no experience.
Boat US and West Marine Insurance are not related. The confusion may come from the fact that when West Marine took over the Boat US retail stores, they did not take the other parts of Boat US. They do sell memberships for Boat US at the stores and they sell towing etc. for Boat US but not the insurance. (you could probably pick up an applications for insurance there though.)

West has no ownership in Boat US.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:52   #27

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
If you are going to be sailing on the inland lakes near Madison, I'd check first with your local insurance agent, you may even get a ryder to a home owners policy for that. If you are looking for the Great Lakes or Ocean coverage check out Boat U.S and Progressive.

Boat U.S. is an agent for The Contental Casualty Company.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:07   #28

Just talked final figures with my insurance broker this morning. The coverage is for a value of $46000 for Exocet (1986 Beneteau First 305) plus $5000 for the dinghy (total of $51000). Coverage includes fire, theft, sinking, collision damage plus $1,000,000.00 liability. We probably got a deduction as we insured our last boat with this company with no claims and we both have CPS certificates and a recorded 12 years of sailing experience. The price, believe it or not, was only $417.00 per year. I was astounded and asked my broker if they were actually going to pay if something happened. She said that this company has been dropping its rates over the last few years and she has never heard of any problems of 'no pay' claims through her clients. This policy will also allow us to sail all around Vancouver Island, not like our last policy which restricted us to the inland waters only. As a side note, it has been mentioned for years that if you are capable of sailing all around Vancouver Island with its challenges, then you are capable of sailing anywhere in the world. If interested, the name of my broker is Parksville Insurance (in Parksville, Vancouver Island, BC) 1-250-248-5784. Person to talk to is Michelle. I don't know the name of the insurance company as yet but have to go down tomorrow to sign the papers and will know then. I have just forgotten the name right now. If you are interested in the name of the company, leave me a post and I will respond. Cheers!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:26   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Exocet-
Do you have environmental fees and salvage recovery incldued in all that? Some policies omit these. Basically, if your boat sinks, you may be fined for environmental cleanup and the cost of raising and removing the hull, and that can be a fast $20,000 that some policies don't cover--even on a 25' boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 13:08   #30

Hellosailor,

Good point. That is something that I was totally unaware of. I will ask when I go down tomorrow to sign the papers. You just taught me something. Thanks. Will post what I have found out about that, tomorrow. Again, thanks.