Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 23:39   #1

Inspection Tips for 1968 Columbia 28

I'm hoping to get some some guidance regarding an impromptu inspection of a 1968 Columbia 28 that I have the opportunity to own. I will not know the exact model until I look at the hull number this weekend. But the information I have to go on is below. I'd like to have pictures for you all, but I thought I'd get some tips as to what exactly to get pictures of. I will be looking at her this Saturday, so anything you suggest I snap a pic of or simply take note of, please leave your recommendations.

It's last bottom job was in Novemeber of this year.
It is quite tidy from what I can see in pictures, properly wrapped sales, neatly organized sheets etc.
It is supposedly in wonderful sailing condition, though has been sitting for a few months.
She also has a working outboard motor, and supposedly a bone dry bilge etc.

I cannot find a whole wealth of information on the c-28s aside from for sale listings, and even those are typically not a 60's model. From the information I HAVE seen though, they are apparently wonderful to handle, built like tanks, and a solid beginner boat. I've read models build past 1970 have issues due to various production problems like, petroleum shortage thus skimpy hulls, and a shift to quantity over quality mindset which produced a lot of models to ship with defects. That's it, that's really all I know about this boat so far. I'd love to hear your input if you have any, and suggestions on what I should be looking for this Saturday. Stay tuned for updates, as will I.
rodion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, inspection