Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 20:09   #1

info sailing north Mex to cnd. (april)

need info on going north from Mex. to Van. Isl. Cnd. in April or May. If 200 miles off shore can I find different wind paterns? do I need to head to Hawaii then head east? can it be done in less than say 30 days? Bob
barniclebobca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:26   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
How fast does you boat go? Do you plan on sailing or motoring? Have you looked at the Costal Pilot or pilot charts? Its about 1900 miles from Cabo to Victoria. But it is upwind which will add distance.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 22:11   #3

Hawaii would definitely be the natural choice to break up that 45 day voyage, but it'll be a yucky LONG voyage. I personally could not beat my brains out for that long of a consistent duration with no relief, but I suppose I'm just wimpy. I'd push towards the end of May before I'd even consider the possibility as April still provides too much adverse weather opportunity for comfort once you get north of San Francisco. But all things considered, there would have to be one hell of a compelling reason for me to seriously consider that voyage.

Perhaps some of our more seasoned veterans might find at least one redeeming thing about such a trip as a sail, but I certainly can't come up with one. I'd preference sailing down to Esmeraldas Ecuador, gassing up on the cheap <1/10 the diesel cost>. (yeah the law changed this year but it's still easy to get a local to fuel ya) and plan on motoring the entire way up close to the coast. Seems a lot better than attempting that sail imo. Do that, and you can come in under 30 days. But sailing it?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote