Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 12:15   #1

Boat: Transpac 49 "Pearl"
Inexpensive Club for Reciprocal Privileges ?

We are planning on heading south in August from Washington and are looking for a reasonably priced club that we can get reciprocal moorage in California as we make our way down to Mexico. Does anyone have a suggestion? So many of the yacht clubs are very expensive and we are on a tight budget.
Old 28-01-2011, 16:38   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Get in touch with the San Fernando Valley Yacht Club in the northwest suburts of Los Angeles. I haven't lived full time in LA for awhile, and haven't talked to anyone at that club for years, but last I knew you could join the SFVYC for $70 initiation plus $70 / year. Since they have no facilities, nor overhead, just a shared passion for sailing though they live miles inland from the coast, there's no reason for expensive dues.

As a member of the Southern California Yachting Association, however, they enjoy reciprocal privileges with other member clubs. Here's a link to their site: San Fernando Valley Yacht Club

TaoJones
Old 29-01-2011, 09:54   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
... Since they have no facilities, nor overhead, just a shared passion for sailing though they live miles inland from the coast, there's no reason for expensive dues.
As a member of the Southern California Yachting Association, however, they enjoy reciprocal privileges with other member clubs. Here's a link to their site: San Fernando Valley Yacht Club
TaoJones
Since they have no facilities, any privileges other clubs might extend, would certainly not be "reciprocal" (by definition).
Nonetheless ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 10:10   #4

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Interestingly, the shorter your expected remaining life span, the higher the initiation fee is at the St. Francis Yacht Club in San Francisco. I think the highest fee is over $20,000 for the oldest initiates. Monthly dues are hundreds of dollars.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 10:38   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Since they have no facilities, any privileges other clubs might extend, would certainly not be "reciprocal" (by definition).
Nonetheless ...
Well, it actually refers to an extension of common courtesy, not just bricks and mortar facilities, and the members of the SFVYC are nothing if not polite. There are members there who actually belong to other Southern California clubs, as well, and all-in-all, it's a fairly small community of sailors in the Southern California area. Most of the members of the local YCs treat one another with respect and in a friendly manner regardless of an individual sailor's economic circumstances.

The SFVYC has actually been named Yacht Club of the Year before by the SCYA in years past.

TaoJones
Old 29-01-2011, 10:58   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
You're in Washington, so try Corinthian Yacht Club of Edmonds. Home They are a low cost club and have decent recips in the Puget Sound area. I found that a lot of clubs in northern and southern Cal were happy to give a few days recip with this club, even if they weren't formally setup as a recip.

Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 11:03   #7

Check out this site which has links to most California yacht clubs.

P.I.C.Y.A. Member Clubs

There are two club associations: PICYA for central California and YCYA for southern California. Most clubs offer reciprocity among their respective association members. Some clubs are open to members of "foreign" (non-associate) clubs.

Many clubs advertise their fees. The ones that don't, well maybe if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Clubs usually publicize their membership application process. Usually, one needs to have two sponsors who are already club members. Some clubs appear to be more open to new members than others. Regardless, one needs to "rub elbows" with club members before applying. While I haven't researched all the clubs, I didn't notice any instances where an applicant can just mailed in an application and was automatically accepted as a member.
Old 29-01-2011, 11:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You're in Washington, so try Corinthian Yacht Club of Edmonds. Home They are a low cost club and have decent recips in the Puget Sound area. I found that a lot of clubs in northern and southern Cal were happy to give a few days recip with this club, even if they weren't formally setup as a recip.
Corinthian's website lists clubs it has reciprocity with, including some in central and southern California.

CYC Reciprocal Clubs Index
Old 29-01-2011, 17:17   #9

Boat: Transpac 49 "Pearl"
Thank you everyone for your replies. I am going to look into the Corinthian YC's and also the SFVYC. This site is such a wonderful resource for cruiser's!
Old 21-07-2013, 07:11   #10

Re: Inexpensive Club for Reciprocal Privileges ?

I know that this is an old thread but another club to consider is Los Gatos YC. $10 per month if 2 years dues paid up front. Initiation fees are waived during the current promotion. Reciprocal privileges included. This small, friendly club meets in Los Gatos, CA, about 60 miles south of San Francisco in a meeting room at a nice restaurant with an optional dinner beforehand. One of the great things about the club is the monthly speaker program -- great speakers every time, discussing topics like coastal cruising, racing, Pacific Cup, weather, lighthouses, Baja Ha-Ha, onboard WiFi, using an iPad for navigation and racing, America's Cup, and the list goes on.

Yes, I promote the club since I'm vice commodore, but it's definitely worth checking out. If interested see losgatosyc.com and send email to membership@losgatosyc.com
Buslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 18:58   #11

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold

As you enter San Fran Harbour, hang a left to Sausalito and check out the Sausalito Yacht Club. They have a few mooring balls, a great clubhouse, cool little member pub and nice hot showers. We tied up for a week and the first night was free(reciprocal) and not sure what the nightly charge was. They were first class in their hospitality to us. Take a few of your clubs burgees with you as they make great bartering tools, even if it is to trade for one of theirs.
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 19:50   #12

Sausalito YC is a great club in a scenic, touristy location, but as I recall the monthly dues are over 10X higher than those at Los Gatos YC.
Old 30-07-2013, 19:55   #13

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buslog View Post
Sausalito YC is a great club in a scenic, touristy location, but as I recall the monthly dues are over 10X higher than those at Los Gatos YC.
Your probably right about that, I guess I was thinking of a place to land, get your bearings for a short time as that what reciprocal means to our club, not long term.
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 21:09   #14

Heart,

On another topic I see that your boat is a Hunter 34. I have a H340, and am interested in knowing how well your boat sails as well as what you like/don't like about it (I'm considering a change). Any comments appreciated - you can contact me at buslog123@gmail.com.

Thanks,

John