Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2019, 12:08   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Inboard engines and a changing world

https://www.greenbiz.com/article/veh...nology-revving
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:13   #107

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of diesel for your sailboat. Dr Diesel designed the engine to run on vegetable oil so that farmers could grow their own fuel for a multi use farm engine. Most sailboats over 20 years old have mechanical diesels that simply need an oil pan hater installed on the engine for starting in cold weather. Carrying a liquid that can be used to fuel your engine or your body has benefits for world cruising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Thanks for this one. I wasn't looking to get political, just to try to predict what's coming.

As internal combustion is phased out on the roads, it'll have a profound effect on small boats like ours.

Personally, I'm thinking about this in terms of fitting out a boat I have so that I don't have to fit it out more than once in this lifetime.

It already has outboards, which means an easy transition to whatever is next, engine/motor wise. However, I have started keeping an eye toward the domestic systems as well.

Thinking sailing will become more important than ever.

These changes skew the arguments of solar vs generator, induction vs lpg, heating and cooling, etc.

The post wasn't really about cars. It's just that what happens on the road will have a great effect on what's available for boats.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:46   #108

Perhaps it's not burning fossel fuel? I have a diesel in my boat and in my car, and they both fun on commercial biodiesel from waste vegetable oil.

More broadly, if you are willing to do engineless sailing to cruise, but with the convenience of easy manouvering in and out of anchorages and Marina's, an electric sailboat is for you. If you want to motor on days when the wind isn't cooperating with your cruising plans, you need a diesel inboard. Just do the planet a favor and see if you can find a local biodiesel seller.
Old 17-11-2019, 12:48   #109

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHullPaul View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of diesel for your sailboat. Dr Diesel designed the engine to run on vegetable oil so that farmers could grow their own fuel for a multi use farm engine. Most sailboats over 20 years old have mechanical diesels that simply need an oil pan hater installed on the engine for starting in cold weather. Carrying a liquid that can be used to fuel your engine or your body has benefits for world cruising.
Though it’s lacking oil, jet fuel and kerosine can also be used in a pinch.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 12:58   #110

I have two smaller HVAC units. I can run one from the engine with my Balmer alternator/battery bank/2000 watt inverter, both units with a generator.
Old 17-11-2019, 13:10   #111
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Perhaps it's not burning fossel fuel? I have a diesel in my boat and in my car, and they both fun on commercial biodiesel from waste vegetable oil.

More broadly, if you are willing to do engineless sailing to cruise, but with the convenience of easy manouvering in and out of anchorages and Marina's, an electric sailboat is for you. If you want to motor on days when the wind isn't cooperating with your cruising plans, you need a diesel inboard. Just do the planet a favor and see if you can find a local biodiesel seller.
many engines actually state that using more than b15 will void the warranty on the injectors.
My old engines don't like bio diesel unless I add 2 cycle oil to the fuel as a lubricant for the injection pump.
Old 17-11-2019, 13:38   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
It is interesting to note that during the blackouts in California Tesla diverted all solar cell and Tesla Wall production to charging stations most likely to be affected by the blackouts. What didn't get much, or any, attention was the fact that very few gas/diesel stations had back up generators installed so people couldn't get gas for their cars or generators. At least one airfield in CA supplied a limited amount to people on an emergency basis until they hit their reserve.

The few fuel stations that did have backup generators had "lineups for blocks" according to one observer. Not much in the mainstream press about this.

So your saying that Tesla can divert power from privately owned devices? I assume these roofs and power walls are privately owned?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 13:44   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Inboard engines and a changing world

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
many engines actually state that using more than b15 will void the warranty on the injectors.

My old engines don't like bio diesel unless I add 2 cycle oil to the fuel as a lubricant for the injection pump.

The problem with “bio Diesel” is there are many different forms, from soy bean to palm oil to used French fry oil.
They are very different things with very different properties.
It’s why it’s so difficult to certify an engine to burn Bio Diesel because there is no standard for it.
I know because I was part of an effort to certify an aircraft to burn it, and it was very plain from almost day one that it was hopeless with out a definition of what Bio Diesel is.

Actually what is widely available in the US is Bio made from Soy and it has much better lubricity than ULSD, I would run it when I could find it in my truck, which wasn’t very often at all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 13:55   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The problem with “bio Diesel” is there are many different forms, from soy bean to palm oil to used French fry oil.
It’s why it’s so difficult to certify an engine to burn Bio Diesel because there is no standard for it.
I know because I was part of an effort to certify an aircraft to burn it, and it was very plain from almost day one that it was hopeless with out a definition of what Bio Diesel is.

Wow. Very good point. If the possibilities are so wide, then standards or grades for biodiesel would definitely help.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 14:01   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Actually what is widely available in the US is Bio made from Soy and it has much better lubricity than ULSD, I would run it when I could find it in my truck, which wasn’t very often at all.
that's the problem with it all . When I replaced the db2 pump on my dt444 the literature actually stated that if I didn't add a lubricity agent to the fuel regardless of lusd or up to b15 bio it would cause premature failure and gliding of the warranty on the pump.

I live in one of the top 5 bio diesel producing states in the CONUS .
Old 17-11-2019, 14:03   #116

Nonsense. Biodiesel has far more lubricity that modern low sulphur diesel.

My comment was on 20 year old mechanical diesels so your first point is moot too.
Quote:
Old 17-11-2019, 14:03   #117
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Wow. Very good point. If the possibilities are so wide, then standards or grades for biodiesel would definitely help.
that's likely the reason for most stations to have mostly b15 for sale
There are a couple that sell up to b85 mostly for industrial engines.
Old 17-11-2019, 14:10   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nonsense. Biodiesel has far more lubricity that modern low sulphur diesel.

My comment was on 20 year old mechanical diesels so your first point is moot too.
you don't know much about older mechanical diesel engines .
BIO DIESEL yes has more lubricity than ULSD but it is still lacking .
That is direct from Stanadyne the manufacturer of the injection pump.
Due to the close tolerances of the parts in the high pressure injection pump the fuel acts as the lubricant . The new ULSD is more of a cleaner than a lubricant .
Old 17-11-2019, 15:07   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
So your saying that Tesla can divert power from privately owned devices? I assume these roofs and power walls are privately owned?

"production". i.e. the new ones they made were sold to service stations, not domestic buyers.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 15:13   #120

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
bet they are installing gensets now :-):-):-):-)
Who??
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, grass