Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 06:36   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: In-water Hull Cleaning Banned In Vanuatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
The "treatment" involves running ballast water through a UV device before discharge. AFAIK the coolung system does not have anything to do with it.

I was actually thinking myself that the best “treatment”would be to let the wash water sit on concrete or sand and let the sun cook it.
The sun, UV is actually a very powerful disinfectant, it is the reason that chemical and biological weapons are not as effective in the desert.
Chlorine would also be effective of course, but maybe dumping chlorine in your water may not be good?
I have never seen the water collected and treated myself, yet I see a LOT of bottom paint in the run off water from pressure washing that has to contain pesticides. What do you do with that, and how do you get it out of the wash water?
Old 17-06-2018, 10:29   #62

Boat: Amel Euros 41

I don't think that great many sailors stop on Vanuatu before New Zealand or Australia. More likely in Fiji or Tonga. And yes, we actually scraped our hull when drifting in week winds before reaching NZ as our bottom paint was getting old and we had to do that every couple of weeks or so anyways. When reaching NZ our "amateur" work was voted OK by their border professionals. We lifted out and had an "amateur" bottom painting done as s soon as we got a space in a yard.

For my opinion, quite often these regulations are made purely for political reasons and are not thought through thoroughly. Not to say they are plain stupid.

Disclaimer. I'm not a marine biologist. Just a marine physicist.
Old 17-06-2018, 12:03   #63

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
The "treatment" involves running ballast water through a UV device before discharge. AFAIK the coolung system does not have anything to do with it.
My info is fairly dated and my memory a little uncertain these days but I am pretty certain I picked up that snippet of information back in the days when I had a responsibility for that sort of thing.

Insofar as I am aware the UV devices are used to kill bacteria in the water and are pretty harmless to anything else. But I could be wrong and disinclined to argue the point too strenuously.

Maybe they should allow bonafide ocean crossing yachts to use TBT??
Old 17-06-2018, 12:05   #64
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I thought I would click on your link to see what all the fuss is about and met with this notice rather than the web page. Think they need to think twice if they want to get the message out to folk in other countries.
Europe's ridiculous internet laws. It is a newspaper article. We may grow coconuts here but we know what we're doing and don't like being told to think twice.
Old 17-06-2018, 12:06   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullar View Post
I don't think that great many sailors stop on Vanuatu before New Zealand or Australia. More likely in Fiji or Tonga. And yes, we actually scraped our hull when drifting in week winds before reaching NZ as our bottom paint was getting old and we had to do that every couple of weeks or so anyways. When reaching NZ our "amateur" work was voted OK by their border professionals. We lifted out and had an "amateur" bottom painting done as s soon as we got a space in a yard.

For my opinion, quite often these regulations are made purely for political reasons and are not thought through thoroughly. Not to say they are plain stupid.

Disclaimer. I'm not a marine biologist. Just a marine physicist.
When was this? The legislation only came into effect a month or 2 ago.
Old 17-06-2018, 12:12   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
I'm not understanding this. If Vanuatu does not have the facilities to recapture and therefore screen/filter the offending critters, aren't they all just getting washed back into their waters? How is this different from boaters cleaning their own hulls? And if Jim Cate is correct on the science, then not cleaning hulls may pose just as much of a threat to the local ecology.

I would think most cruisers would want to be in compliance with a visiting countries specific rules & regs, but if it turns out to be irrational or unworkable and entails significant added expense, they may opt to go elsewhere. And that's not good for your profession either.
Good God, does everyone read what they want instead of what is written? A sovereign country seeks to do something about its environment and you all act like we're a banana republic with no idea.
What Vanuatu is doing is similar to what other countries are doing or contemplating yet it appears it is all a conspiracy by thew marine industry here to take advantage of cruisers.
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, hull, Vanuatu, water