Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2017, 17:27   #1

I'm dating my boat...

At least that's what it feels like.

It's the 3rd date, and she's just opened up about her family and telling me about her background.

I have the original USCG paperwork but the last registration expired in 1999. I had some invoices from an old owner as well, whom I had been looking for. Yesterday I was aboard and my dock neighbor asked if I was the owner. I replied yes, and he asked how long I had owned her. I told him that I had just bought her around two weeks ago or so. He said that he knew the boat well, and that he hasn't seen her in years, and all of a sudden she's BACK IN HER EXACT SLIP she had been in when his best friend owned her.

We got to talking about his best fried who used to own her and I asked if he would pass on my contact info. I was able to talk to the previous owner last night via email, and found out that he owned her from 2008-2010. He told me what he had done to the boat, and then told me who he had bought it from, and that's where the story gets REALLY interesting.

I searched out the owners name he gave me, and it turns out that they are a part of my mariners group. I emailed them and got the whole scoop.

As it turns out, he is from Alabama which is where she was purchased. She sustained some kind of hull damage from a hurricane around 1998/99, and the insurance totaled her. Up until then she had been raced in the Bucaneer Yacht Club races in Mobile. Once he restored her he raced her for a few more years, and then trailered her to Lake Travis near Austin, where she continued her racing career. He put many loving hours of care into her, and repainted her more than once. Prior to being moved from Alabama, she was apparently sailed down to the Dry Tortugas as well.

I'm now in the process of obtaining pictures of her from ALL of her previous owners that I can contact, and I plan to have them aboard over the next weeks to discuss anything they know about, or had repaired.

Gaining all of this information on her is absolutely blowing my mind, and I'm totally falling in love with her. It makes all the dollars spent and hours of time and energy that I'm putting into her all worth it! I just hope I can get her back into the pristine condition she was in when they were racing her.

Here are some of the photos that I've obtained so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquaholic.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	143816   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0384 (1).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	143817  

Name:	P5200164.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	143818   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3120192.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	143819  

Name:	100_0382.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	143820  
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 19:09   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: I'm dating my boat...

Yikes! Don't let your partner hear you talk like that. I'm just sayin...

But it is fun to get details and history about your boat! In my galley, on the underside of the top drawer the first owner signed her name. It's a little thing but tangible evidence of her (Gitana) former life.

Just between you and me (and everyone else), the sweat, tears, blood, laughter, spilled dinners and spilled oil helped give your boat soul. I swear boats have conciousness. Listen and she will tell you what she needs. Feed her needs and she will see you home.

Quote:
Tell her about it
Tell her all your crazy dreams
Let her know you need her
Let her know how much she means
Haha!
Old 23-03-2017, 19:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

On another topic, I see you have a Cheoy Lee... have you seen this youtube channel? They are two brothers refurbishing one.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Y...tWt-KxxpY2X2aA
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 02:28   #4

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post

Just between you and me (and everyone else), the sweat, tears, blood, laughter, spilled dinners and spilled oil helped give your boat soul. I swear boats have conciousness. Listen and she will tell you what she needs. Feed her needs and she will see you home.

Haha!
Yep, This! Years ago I was restoring a little 24-foot NJ Eastern Sea Skiff. Spent so many late nights working on the boat that my (then) wife was thinking that I was having an affair! She didn't like boats but when she saw what I started with, and after a year of seeing mahogany and teak being refinished and an engine overhaul (Chrysler 318) in our garage, and visiting the boat a year later, she was impressed. She thereafter referred to my boat, the "Handyman's Nightmare", as my "Little Mistress" and told me to enjoy her but just don't get her pregnant...we don't need another boat in our lives.

Listen to your boat, take care of her....she can be everything you want as long as she is happy and well cared for. And just like a partner, slip up on the relationship's maintenance? There's gonna be hell to pay somewhere down the line....just sayin'...
Old 24-03-2017, 16:54   #5
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

How cool!
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 17:03   #6

Good show! the more you know.... the more your there is to know
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat