Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 04:41   #46

Re: I'm an idiot. Broke my Waeco fridge

Sorry guys but you cannot use silver solder on aluminum the melt point is too high, wrong metal to solder aluminum. If you want to solder it, it takes a special rod.

Ok here is the redneck solution with out calling the ac guy. First use something like jb weld, sealall, or the expoxy like the man mentioned above. Clean and clean again before use. Allow it to FULLY CURE. Its low pressure, about 40 psi. Most likely it is R12. Forget finding R12, use R134a. Use piercing valves on the low and high side. When you are ready, use the freon to flush out the air that is in the system. That means putting freon in the low side and have it come out the high side. It must not have anything but freon in the system. You can go to harbor freight and buy a cheap vacuum that uses your air compressor to get a vacuum. Not the best but it will work. Add R134a until you see about 35 to 36 degrees on the pressure guage. DO NOT START THE COMPRESSOR IN A VACUUM. Is this a professional fix? No. But it will work but there is no guarantee how long it will last. If you are a weekend crusier ok. I wouldnt use it and go on a long voyage. This is a fix within the mans abilities. Being a professional ac tech I strongly say there is no guarantee for this fix but hey what have you got to lose. A few dollars a little time, if it doesnt last call someone like me or go buy a new one.
From the Redneck Nerd.
QuentinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 11:35   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinC View Post
As a professional Hvac guy, i would be willing to supply the labor for free, in exchange for a day of cruising. Lol. Is the pipes aluminum or copper? JBweld will not work. Copper you can fix easy. Adding in a service port is easy. If it was frozen, two things, low on freon, you already had a leak or two your seals are bad letting in moisture. At worst you can order a new coil and have it installed. The system after repairs needs to be pressure tested and vacuum. It cannot have anything but pure freon. The freon has to be the correct type. If you have more questions. Pm me. I work on hvac for a living.
I found this thread because I did the same thing on my truck fridge in our van. I have a new evaporative cooler from truckfridge, but can't find anyone willing to install and recharge. How do I find an HVAC guy that is willing?,
Drifterjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 12:25   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazvick View Post
Well this is the dumbest thing I've ever done. Long story short, I was letting the frozen over fridge/freezer melt out and got impatient. I started chipping away with a flathead and small hammer. Wasn't really that difficult and I wasn't really banging away that hard. But, alas, I have learned the hard way how fragile the tubes holding freon in the cold plates are.

I punctured one.

I was going to try to fix the leak. JB weld? Can it actually be legitimately welded?

Also, even if this is the case, I've come to notice that this danfoss bd35f has ZERO ports available to recharge the system. Nothing for me to screw on an attachment ANYwhere. Is this typical? Everything I find online shows my exact compressor but with attachments.

This is an old Weaco Coolmatic 80. Model RD-80B.

Any guidance much appreciated.

I'm going to go drink about it now.
Re: recharging, you maybe able to buy a saddle valve?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 21:30   #49

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifterjourney View Post
I found this thread because I did the same thing on my truck fridge in our van. I have a new evaporative cooler from truckfridge, but can't find anyone willing to install and recharge. How do I find an HVAC guy that is willing?,
I have a buddy who does AC. He helped me out.
qazvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 06:43   #50

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifterjourney View Post
Your local RV supply store should know someone. If they can't help, take the part to your mechanic and have him install it. Then go the the automotive AC repair/recharge guy in your neighborhood.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote