Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 08:08   #226
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Now that they've been found what do you think the over under is on the OP getting his money back? Especially now that they are out of country.
Not great I should imagine... he could contact the Bahamian authorities and try for a lien on the boat but that could backfire if she's left there... salvage fee's etc:...
Even if the authorities towed her off and 'seized' her he could still fall liable...
Figure the best he can do register a claim against the vessel and if she's auctioned off to cover 'costs' there's enough left over..
But this is just speculation over possible.. not probable..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29   #227

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

It used to be that the Bahamian Government recognized the right of innocent passage. Unless they stopped somewhere before running aground, they may not have any significant trouble with the authorities. It's my understanding that they should have been flying a Q flag on an innocent passage and it doesn't look like they're flying one. I don't believe that simply running aground is an offence in the Bahamas.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42   #228
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Definitely screwed up going that route..
Shoulda gone offshore to the French islands.. would never have been spotted in the SMX Lagoon French side...

Old 07-01-2014, 08:59   #229

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

Yes, they behaved despicably.

But I can take no joy over anybody's boat being lost.

If they are in jail, what are the chances of ever seeing their boat again?

Maybe if some commenters were old, and scared, and far from home, with their whole world dissolving, they would be a bit less acidic about the situation.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12   #230

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post

Maybe if some commenters were old, and scared, and far from home, with their whole world dissolving, they would be a bit less acidic about the situation.
And if these people had simple been honest sailors that had been felt a bad hand and were down on their luck, we probably would be. But they're not. They're liars, cheats, thieves and scam artists. They no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2014, 09:30   #231

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
And if these people had simple been honest sailors that had been felt a bad hand and were down on their luck, we probably would be. But they're not. They're liars, cheats, thieves and scam artists. They no longer deserve the benefit of the doubt.
I agree. Keep in mind, also, that there will be salvage rights to whoever yanks that hunk out of the sand and tow it to safety. Probably be higher on the collection list than the people in Oriental.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35   #232
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

<<<<< Old, Furious and far from home... never scared tho'...
Don't be so quick to knock CF members... they've bailed a few 'victims' out over the years in one form or another..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:43   #233

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
...Maybe if some commenters were old, and scared, and far from home, with their whole world dissolving, they would be a bit less acidic about the situation.
Hell, that's called everyday to some. The ocean's bloody scary. Pass the vinegar.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:50   #234
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Sorry... I was away for a minute gathering booby info for Cap'n Bill....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05   #235
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Last week USCG busted a similar size sailboat in Fort Lauderdale or Miami, bringing in something like 200 pounds of cocaine. And it has to come in from somewhere, so arresting sailors might not be totally irrational.

Unlike the war on drugs, but that's a whole other topic.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:27   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
And if these people had simple been honest sailors that had been felt a bad hand and were down on their luck, we probably would be. But they're not. app
These two have been creating bad Karma for a long time. Now the consequences (some call it "bad luck") will likely be worse than they imagined possible or seems fair.

I've never met a sailor who doesn't believe in Karma - though they may call it something different.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:39   #237

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:

Think of it this way...I don't go through life hoping that anyone would fall down and hurt themself, but ask yourself how you'd feel if you saw a young "gentleman" in the city snatch an old ladies purse (with just a few dollars inside), and as he was racing down the sidewalk making his escape, fall down and break his leg on the curb where he lay in pain until the police arrived a few minutes later. Wouldn't you agree that was exactly the karma the young thug deserved? How is this case different other than the dollar amounts involved?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:41   #238

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk

Hey folks. I just noticed this post. I read the article, and I agree that is wasn't a very nice thing. I've been scammed too, so I know what it's like. I'm heading out to a new crew gig, so I don't have time to read the responses. So, apologies to the moderators if they've already already covered this.

I have a huuuuge problem with this post, folks, I understand that we stick together as a cruising community, and I wouldn't hesitate to come to the aid of any other cruiser, if I could. However, cruisersforum is not the FBI or any kind of police service. I'm not casting any shadows on the op, and I'm giving him, and the article, the benefit of the doubt. But... what if the article is lying? It may the truth, I give you that, simply because I wouldn't want to speak ill of another cruisersforum member. But, if we accept this kind of post now, what is to stop anyone in the future from making up some story about someone they don't like, and then posting it on cruisersforum? I know some of you will say, "No, that would never happen. We're a little more conscientious than that!" Yeah, maybe. But this can easily go the way I'm suggesting. I've crewed on many boats, through cruiserforum.com, and I've heard all kinds of horror stories about cruisers being scammed. But I also know one or two of the people who got 'scammed,' and, frankly, they deserved it, because they were the ones who did the scamming first. The person they scammed just happened to get revenge. How do we know that the folks on Primadonna weren't scammed first? How do we know that they weren't the first people who were owned money in this story? And they simply decided to best way to get any of the money back was to do what they did? Again, I can hear the commotion already, from you members who would say I'm being ridiculous. Again, let's assume this story is true. But what about the next one that isn't? Or has a lot of mitigating circumstances? Or is only partly true? Or simply isn't true? Do we really have the right to put out a global manhunt, just because one op says we should? Who is the op, anyway? Does anyone know anything about him/her? Are they so lily white that they can, in such a cavalier manner, destroy a person's life? The people on Primadonna are quite capable of destroying their owns lives, without the help of the Cruisersforum membership. Maybe those people on Primadonna just made some bad choices in life and simply can't pull themselves out of the whirlwind. When I read this post, I had a flash of a person, wrapped in a sheet, halfway in the ground, with rocks being chucked at them.

Moderators- let the FBI, or whatever police agency, do what they are paid to do. What happens now, if someone reading the original post sees the Primadonna and decides to take it upon themselves to try to apprehend them, and it turns violent? Could cruisersforum be sued? Because, make no mistake, this kind of post is a global witch hunt. Everyone who reads the article will remember that boat. Plus they have a really good photo. Remember, lots of people out their aren't too bright. You're not a police service, cruisersforum.com.

In life, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes you get scammed. But we can't afford to allow one person to start a global man hunt, just because he/she got scammed. In fact, I would say that we don't have the right to do that, and cruisersforum can't afford to allow posts like that.

So, you get scammed. That's life. Deal with it, using your own resources and the resources of the people whose job it is to deal with this kind of thing.

The moderators may or may not have clued into this, but I truly hope there are others out their who realized the implications of this.

I'm telling you folks, posts like this are very dangerous to us all. On the last boat I crewed on (hi Seb & Fati), the owners of the yacht were both attacked by other boaters. The moorings in Bonaire are way too close, so at 3am, the crashing commenced. Once we were all on deck, we were facing the owners of the other boat who were completely naked, intoxicated, and violent. We spent 8 hours the next day, in the waiting rooms of the local hospital and police station. We all gave our statements and left. A couple of days later we were told the other boat wasn't around and it looked like they left the island without clearing out. My point is, the owners who were assaulted didn't get on cruisersforum to put out a global man hunt! And they probably would have had more reason to do it than the op of this post, because they were physically assaulted, and there was CG and Police involvement.

If you get scammed, deal with it, and stop crying like a baby, and telling your sob stories here on cruisersforum. Lots of people out there get scammed. It's called life.

Thanks for your time.

Happy New Year to all.

Sincerely,
Jason Kyriakou
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50   #239

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Dude the FBI ain't gonna do nuttin. This is a civil case not a criminal one. End of story.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54   #240

Jason,

As the Mods undoubtedly know, they have no significant legal exposure for anything posted by others. In the US, it's law:

Section 230 title 47 of the US code says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider."
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna