Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34   #61

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

How do you put a lien on a french boat? Good luck with that.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Hey Vallhalla360, take a chill pill. I don't know how you got class warfare out of my post ( not a rant, thank you). I've met both parties and feel for the guy who lost in the deal. Like I said, everyone is happy about him leaving except now he's going to be harder to serve. None of this needs to be argued with. And this was more of a personal loan than a bank or pawn operation. I find it odd that some found hidden meaning to my post. He's broke, he should have left for France months ago, what's the issue?
"The town has several other full time anchored boats and they are itching for them to clear out. They want cruisers, but a certain type with cash, who only stay long term if in a slip."

Sure sounds like the language people use when they want to bash cities that don't want to encourage vagrants and the problems that come with them.

As far as the bank/pawn shop, it's just pointing out that there is a reason it's not smart for people to do personal loans. Especially when the people in question don't look like theres a chance in heck of them ever paying it back. If you are going to do it anyway, it's best to consider it charity and move on with your life.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:56   #63
cruiser

I was bashing no one, I enjoy the place and spend time there twice a year. Sorry if my wording was to blunt, but didn't I describe most towns on the waterway? It's just a small harbor so it's easy to spot the long term anchoring folks. And it's not like I'm pissed, I could care less. But the option I noticed from the town net board and a local or two was they didn't want to see the non-shiny, long term boats out there. Some might use it as long term storage for free, others might love boats and be living free. These are not my opinions, although I did see a sign starring there were two slips for rent at the city dock for $175 and 150 a month. If that's too much than maybe boating isn't your thing. Where do we draw the line with this. Is leaving your boat in some town endlessly ok practice? Just because you can is it right? Can I just drop my R/V off in a non metered spot and split for 6 months? Not that anyone is doing this in orential but it happens everywhere. Is it class warfare to even talk about these issues?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:24   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
By the very nature of their mobility, arresting a boat is quite easy to execute once a judgment has been passed in the civil courts.

Creditor has his judgment and a local Sherriff’s Office will be happy to serve, seize and plaster the boat, once found.

Notifying Customs and Immigration of flight risk is also worth it.

Those sailors are just plain stupid.
It sounds like a civil matter to me, and the police wont want to get involved. The plaintiff will have to get a court order for the police to do anything (even if they are willing) and the boat is moving so the plaintiff will have to do that everytime it reaches a new juristiction right?
I really dont know, but the lack of enforcement I've seen and heard of nowdays... just doesnt seem like the type of thing that will get much attention. In many places law enforcment doesnt even go to knock on the door of the address of a person who has a felony arrest warrant out. They just wait to find them on a traffic stop. This was on our local news a couple years ago, hundreds of arrest warrants and no action taken.. So getting them to go after a mobile boat for a monetary matter? hmmm... just guessing it aint gonna work....

Old 12-12-2013, 09:26   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And....be careful what you wish for... once you've confiscated the boat.... you are responsible for it! moorage, environmental issues, disposal?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:40   #66

Here ya go:

"The principle of territoriality generally limits the power of a state of judicial enforcement of actions to be taken within its territory. Consequently, when a judgment is to be enforced out of property in another state, or requires some act to be done in that other state, the judgment must be brought to the judicial tribunals of the second state for implementation. This allows the judicial tribunal of the enforcing state to examine the judgment to determine whether it should be recognized and enforced."

That's US law. People here are talking about liens. A lien is a security interest granted over property. Your auto loan is a lien and so is the mortgage on your house. It is just words on paper and not the object itself. Now visualize trying to put a lien by court order in another state on a french boat that has a french title or whatever they use. Ain't gonna happen without mega bucks worth of lawyers. End of story.
I'll bet that boat is in the Bahamas now anyway.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Please share tales of folks with half million dollar boats are involved in petty theft.

I'm not saying thier aren't scum bags with money out there but in terms of this discussion, the odds of who will steal and be a drag on the area is pretty clear.
Read my thread 'Change of Plan'...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 12-12-2013, 09:52   #68

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Please share tales of folks with half million dollar boats are involved in petty theft.

I'm not saying thier aren't scum bags with money out there but in terms of this discussion, the odds of who will steal and be a drag on the area is pretty clear.
Don't want to hijack this thread, or worse start a political discussion, but here's a nice summary of recent research that responds to your request Val: Rich People Are More Likely To Lie, Cheat, And Steal Candy From Children
Old 12-12-2013, 10:44   #69

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Here's the link to Boatman's saga of getting ripped off by some well-to-do boat owners:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lan-78699.html

and the legal follow-up:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...man-91106.html

Good reading for the long winter evenings. . . .
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It sounds like a civil matter to me, and the police wont want to get involved. The plaintiff will have to get a court order for the police to do anything ...
According to the OP linked article the guy has already a court issued judgement and is trying to locate the scumbags in order to enforce it with the help of local LEOs. He is looking for spotters not advisers ...
Old 12-12-2013, 11:18   #71

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Some might use it as long term storage for free, others might love boats and be living free. These are not my opinions, although I did see a sign starring there were two slips for rent at the city dock for $175 and 150 a month. If that's too much than maybe boating isn't your thing.
I had to check the veracity of your claim of $150 per month slip.

Holy Crap! I found not only the $150 slip, but also a free slip in the town marina in exchange for sharing one's boat. Sorry for doubting you and can you direct me to the Oriental check cashing facility?

GO ORIENTAL!
Old 12-12-2013, 12:11   #72
cruiser

The $150 slip is 15x30 and the $175 is 20x50, I was very tempted to pay for a year and leave the boat there in the spring. Summer dockage in Vt is 3-4k for 5 months. It's not like they have a ton , just those two.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:28   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_W View Post
According to the OP linked article the guy has already a court issued judgement and is trying to locate the scumbags in order to enforce it with the help of local LEOs. He is looking for spotters not advisers ...
Yeah, guess I got a little "adrift". It'll be interesting to see how it goes...

Old 12-12-2013, 14:14   #74

Boat: 28m Steel Tug - two in tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Easy enuf - call ICE-CBP and inform them there's an immigration issue, then have the boat impounded as a crime scene.
Old 12-12-2013, 15:11   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Easy enuf - call ICE-CBP and inform them there's an immigration issue, then have the boat impounded as a crime scene.
You are living in an alternate reality. Did you steal some of those mushrooms I had left over from the 70s?

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna