Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2013, 15:41   #76

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Please share tales of folks with half million dollar boats are involved in petty theft.

I'm not saying thier aren't scum bags with money out there but in terms of this discussion, the odds of who will steal and be a drag on the area is pretty clear.
I know of a few such cases. Although these might be stretching the definition of petty theft, but same ethical principal applies. Some relating to boats far more expensive than $500K. One friend and boat yard owner who got stiffed for the taxes on a major refit on a mega yacht. The tax bill alone was $30K.

Also one friend who completed a major job for a wealthy attorney. When presented with the bill the attorney said "so...sue me".

Life lesson: there are scum bags at every socio economic level.
Old 12-12-2013, 17:11   #77

Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
Easy enuf - call ICE-CBP and inform them there's an immigration issue, then have the boat impounded as a crime scene.
that sounds great in theory, but if you ever spent any time along the US-Mexican border, you would have little faith in that scenario getting any traction. I could tell you some stories about time that I spent standing on a hill in Sierra Vista, but that amount of thread drift would be a bit much.
Old 12-12-2013, 17:15   #78

I would like to see these dead beats try their little tricks up around City Island sometime. The boys in the Bronx don't respond very favorably to shenanigans like that. That sort of episode could possibly turn into a valuable learning experience of sorts.
Old 12-12-2013, 19:59   #79
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I would like to see these dead beats try their little tricks up around City Island sometime. The boys in the Bronx don't respond very favorably to shenanigans like that. That sort of episode could possibly turn into a valuable learning experience of sorts.

A valuable experience for you and your Bronx boys as you serve jail time for thuggery? Y'all sound like a bunch of stand up fellows. What meaningless dribble. This is Cruisers forum not Soprano's mob time fight club.
Old 12-12-2013, 20:00   #80

The check thing is a well-known scam and has become more of a problem with the internet age... often scammers will ask you to deposit and give them cash back. Hard to believe this fellow had no idea, but being naive doesn't mean he deserved to get ripped off. Check fraud is illegal, the exact charge depends on the juristiction. Sounds like the local cops know a charge won't go anywhere since these derelicts finally left town and thus don't want to essentially waste their time.

Re: signing things for other people, do a Judge Judy litmus test in your head first.
Should I cosign or deposit a check for someone? The answer is NO.
Should I cosign or deposit a check for someone I already know to be shiftless? NO and check your wallet/valuables after they leave.
Should I cosign a loan for someone? NO NO AND NO
Should I lend money to someone? A WORLD OF NO unless you're ok with never getting it back
Old 13-12-2013, 05:06   #81

Boat: Tayana 47

Now that we've all had our say at how we think this situation will or should end, hopefully these 2 derelicts will turn up somewhere, and Sandcastle will fill us in on any resolution so we can see which of us was closest to right and who was way off base.
Old 13-12-2013, 06:33   #82
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post

A valuable experience for you and your Bronx boys as you serve jail time for thuggery? Y'all sound like a bunch of stand up fellows. What meaningless dribble. This is Cruisers forum not Soprano's mob time fight club.
Yea ,turn the other cheek and I will slap that one too...
Old 13-12-2013, 08:13   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post

I suppose that I should have expected this type of misinterpretation based on stereotypes that are propagated by Hollywood. New Yorkers are generally misunderstood by people who have never lived there. They do tend to be a little more durable & a little more thick-skinned than most people, & perhaps a bit gruff at times, but if you thought that I was suggesting that someone should get their legs broken over this, then you have probably been watching too much TV.

New Yorkers tend to be a tight knit bunch that stick together in the face of adversity. This is especially true in some of the smaller neighborhoods & some of the outer boroughs. The communities there are more like extended families in some ways.

When I lived in the lower east side, my little brother came into town on his motorcycle to visit. He left his bike parked in front of my apartment overnight & he left his leather saddle bags full. In the morning, all of his stuff was still there. This was back in the 1990's. At that time, the area was considered a bit tough. Movies & TV shows showed all sorts of bad things happening down there. A shot of Mars Bar was even in the opening screen shots of a popular police drama. I felt perfectly safe there.

When the Russian bagel shop down the street from me got it's door kicked in by a street punk, a group of about 10 or 12 people gathered around him with their arms crossed. They all stared at him & would not let him out of the circle until the cops showed up. When a hopped-up street bum started beating on the pay phone outside of the Turkish kebab house on the corner, I walked out, took the phone out of his hand, hung it up & asked him to please stop. When He started in at me, 4 guys from the kebab house ran out & did the same arms crossed & stare at him routine. He got the message that his behavior was inappropriate & it stopped. Nobody was the victim of thuggery. Nobody went to jail. Things just got sorted out & the lines of what was acceptable & what was not were laid out clearly.

I only saw retaliatory physical abuse get used once while I lived there, that I can recall. It was after a rash of tire slashings. Some people did not stop doing inappropriate things after it was made clear to them that their actions were unacceptable. After that, things got bumped up a notch or two by certain individuals. I'm pretty familiar with the details of the event. I'll omit them for now & simply say that this sort of thing was more of a last resort, rather than a common use of frivolous power display, at least in the areas of the city where I lived & worked (LES, Brooklyn, Bronx, Mt. Vernon).

Hollywood would probably paint these stories in a more sensational light than the way that they actually happened. Unfortunately, that is the way that most people view that city. It's kind of a shame.
Old 13-12-2013, 08:31   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
So, if someone cheats someone out of a few thousand bucks in the Bronx or on City Island, but then leaves town in their boat for points unkown before it becomes clear that's what they've done as happened in this case, just what sort of "learning experience" do you have in mind that might happen? They've left town so I don't think your standing around in a circle with arms crossed on your chest will leave much of an impression on them. You now say you weren't advocating physical violence but I'm having a hard time understanding just what you DID mean since nobody has any idea where they are and they most certainly aren't in the same area where they committed the offense.
Old 13-12-2013, 09:05   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I really hope we are not to the point where it is "justified" to take violent actions over any amount of money let alone what $3000?
Old 13-12-2013, 09:27   #86
CLOD

Boat: none

hard to believe some of you are willing to write some of this stuff
Old 13-12-2013, 09:31   #87

---Quote (Originally by Horror Hotel)---
I talked to Pascal from Primadona......... He's super broke and I'd rather not have him on our countries welfare system.
---End Quote---
In keeping with the Xmas Spirit we can now celebrate that they are now eligible both under Obamacare and the new welfare immigration guidelines for destitute alien yachtsman....

they just need to log on

I suppose one more wont hurt, according to a link I was sent (havent Snopes it)
These 11 States now have More People on Welfare than they do Employed!
Cal, New Mexico, Ohio, Maine, New York, Illinois,, Kentucky, Miss, Alabama, South Carolina, Hawaii

Old 13-12-2013, 09:34   #88

They are only looking for these people so the Sheriff’s Department can serve Ott with what is called a Notice of Right To Exempt Property. That's it. There is no impounding, no arresting. The police didn't want anything to do with this, no charges were made. This is a small court judgment. When they get the summons, Ott has twenty days to make a claim that certain assets should be exempt. That is why the OP wants people to help find the boat, so they can be served the Notice. Otherwise this small claim courts victory will not be collected.
Old 13-12-2013, 09:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I don't subscribe to the "never a reason to resort to violence" philosophy. I find the very notion pathetic and cowardly. I could think of a dozen situations where it would be illegal, yet morally acceptable to knock someone's head off or worse.

What kind of system have we got when a man who has been robbed of thousands of dollars has no legal recourse? Having no legal recourse, this guy would absolutely be morally justified in hunting the crook down and breaking his legs. Not legal, but certainly an acceptable solution in my book.

I promise you (and I'm not an internet tough guy spewing crap) that if you steal $4000 dollars from me and I find your boat...you will not be floating for long and if I'm able to f**k you up without going to jail...I'll do that too.

I vote for broken legs, the sinking of his boat, and early retirement for the crook and his wife.
.....and lets not forget burning him at the stake! I think CF should supply the marshmallows and hot dogs to toast and we'll charge admission to raise the $3000 he owes.

Seriously though, in this case we are (ahem) discussing, the harmed party IS seeking a legal remedy and I think it's far from clear that this course won't succeed. It does require more patience and I'll grant that it's a whole lot less fun than breaking their legs, etc. might seem to some of us, but on the bright side it will keep all of us out of jail and is less likely to result in an awful mistake being made. It's very difficult to un-break a leg and even harder to put someone's head back on...
Old 13-12-2013, 09:52   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
... I suppose one more wont hurt, according to a link I was sent (havent Snopes it)
These 11 States now have More People on Welfare than they do Employed!
Cal, New Mexico, Ohio, Maine, New York, Illinois,, Kentucky, Miss, Alabama, South Carolina, Hawaii
Chart shows eleven "death spiral" states where more people are on welfare than are employed.

FALSE

Snopes ➥ snopes.com: Death Spiral

FactCheck.org ➥ ‘Death Spiral’ States?

PolitiFact ➥ http://www.politifact.com/texas/stat...people-welfar/

Perhaps one should check one's facts, prior to publishing drivel.

Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna