Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 19:16   #31

Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

This thing isn't exactly a rowboat. Hasn't anyone spotted it yet?
Old 11-12-2013, 19:31   #32

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Yea, take his house so he can walk around on the mainland..best thing is to let him keep going until he meets a french military ship,then he can get fuel and keep on keeping on...
Seems all he needed was an U.S navy ship to get food and fuel.

But the french ships may give him better food. He ought to try to get closer to France.
Old 11-12-2013, 19:36   #33

Boat: hunter 376

Cheques, or checks are promissary notes... we had a woman write a bad cheque once, intentionally. My partner gave her 4 hours to come in and make the cheque good, or the police would be called. When she didnt show, we called the police and reported the fraud. The police were ready to arrest her for cheque fraud, until they heard we had given her 4 hours to make the cheque good... "once you gave her that 4 hours, you extended credit," they said, and failing to pay is now a civil matter, not a criminal one. Never saw a dime back, and she walked scott free, just like this french couple will. You may find them, but you can't get blood from a stone.
Old 11-12-2013, 19:50   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Who'se going to seize it?
By the very nature of their mobility, arresting a boat is quite easy to execute once a judgment has been passed in the civil courts.

Creditor has his judgment and a local Sherriff’s Office will be happy to serve, seize and plaster the boat, once found.

Notifying Customs and Immigration of flight risk is also worth it.

Those sailors are just plain stupid.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:43   #35

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Seems all he needed was an U.S navy ship to get food and fuel. But the french ships may give him better food. He ought to try to get closer to France.
If you read the comments after the article I posted they also scammed a cruise ship 4 days earlier of the same thing, fuel, water and food.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:17   #36

Boat: Skookum 53'

These small time chislers have been given more time and attention than they deserve. small claims court's judgements are almost impossible to collect on if the debtee will not pay. You can of course put a lien on their vessel, I have done so for lack of payment of wages, for far more than what these guys owe on the check, the vessel ended up going to auction at a Marshal's sale, and I never saw a dime. Best answer is keep everyone posted as to their movements as long as they are making port, and warn the different marina owners and shop keepers and other vessel owners, and shun them where ever they go, soon enough they will leave for parts unknown.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:02   #37

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
These small time chislers have been given more time and attention than they deserve. small claims court's judgements are almost impossible to collect on if the debtee will not pay. You can of course put a lien on their vessel, I have done so for lack of payment of wages, for far more than what these guys owe on the check, the vessel ended up going to auction at a Marshal's sale, and I never saw a dime. Best answer is keep everyone posted as to their movements as long as they are making port, and warn the different marina owners and shop keepers and other vessel owners, and shun them where ever they go, soon enough they will leave for parts unknown.
Sounds like the person who owed you also owed far more people as well. And probably a government entity if the boat was seized by the US Marshals.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:06   #38
cruiser

I talked to Pascal from Primadona for a while right before the check thing happened. He said he had sailed straight over with no stops, and that was his plan for a return trip. The town has several other full time anchored boats and they are itching for them to clear out. They want cruisers, but a certain type with cash, who only stay long term if in a slip. 99% of the locals were very glad when a well meaning cruiser towed Pascal outta there, everyone except the guy who got ripped off. His chances for recouping any money were greatly diminished when Pascal was towed away. Great for all, bad for one. There was a collection fund of sorts at one point, but I think it was stopped because he didn't want to take money if Pascal was going to be made to pay. As the fund would be impossible to return. I would gladly throw some bucks in a pot to help a guy who was just doing a nice thing. I think looking for pascal is almost point less. He's super broke and I'd rather not have him on our countries welfare system.

Earlier someone mentioned " south Texas justice" , violence has no part in the cruising community it's tacky, tasteless, and helps no one. Hopefully most texans don't share the same violent tendencies.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:47   #39

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
..... Best answer is keep everyone posted as to their movements as long as they are making port, and warn the different marina owners and shop keepers and other vessel owners, and shun them where ever they go, soon enough they will leave for parts unknown.
Or you will get sued for libeling them. If that happens, in order to successfully defend yourself in court, you will need to spend money to hire a lawyer and have actual proof that what you have written or said about them is true. The guy who got ripped off could probably do that but the rest of us are just repeating rumors, though I have very little doubt those rumors are true.

I think that he should do just what he's doing, try to locate the boat and put a lien on it. The "pirates" may be broke but their boat is surely worth more than what is owed, and faced with losing it all, they just may find a rich uncle who can come up with the money for them. If not, they can lose their boat and get deported back to where they came from. But they shouldn't just be allowed to continue their chiseling ways and victimize even more good hearted people just because it's difficult to stop them.

Plus, just how do you propose the guy who got ripped off find and warn all the marinas and businesses owners who may be in the path of these two, wherever they may go? They've already left his local area where it might be practical to do that.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:02   #40

I guess Shakespeare got it right when he said "Neither a borrower nor a lender be."

In terms of world law enforcement, this doesn't seem to be the highest priority.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I don't think libel is a big deal here in this situation, maybe in the UK or elsewhere. I believe it's called freedom of speech here. Politicians would have a whole new revenue stream if they could so those that lied about them.

Did they actually commit a crime in NC or is it just hard feeling from someone that got screwed?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35   #42
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I hope he gets his money as well. These folks seem to be the types that gives true cruisers a real bad reputation.

Coops.
It only "seems" that way to you?
Old 12-12-2013, 05:51   #43

Boat: Skookum 53'

Libel is not an issue if what is said is true.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:00   #44

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A small claims judgement is basically only enforceable in that state. Even in that state no one is going to "detain" the crew. They can only do that for a criminal act. This is civil. Getting a lien, impounding, etc a french boat in another state is just about impossible and will be costly. Fastbottoms is right, small claims judgments are just about unenforceable even if the person lives right there in your small town. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04   #45

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

A lot to be said for South Texas besides TexMex and Yippi Ki Oh Ki Yea!

But it's not for everybody.
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna