Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2013, 17:29   #166
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

There's a limit to how quickly a sailboat can run away. But if anyone had the sense to contact the USCG up front, the USCG is very good about notifying "all" stations in a wide area to look for, gee, hard to find things like a big red boat??

And if the boat is French flagged, or the crew French nationals...a felony offense usually is grounds for immediate deportation or other prosecution. It seems odd that no one "got serious" up front about this.

The laws regarding bad checks will vary from state to state but usually, simply passing a check without having the funds to cover it becomes a criminal matter, knowingly OR unknowningly. It sounds mainly like The Powers That Be just don't want to waste [sic] their limited resources on chasing one non-violent criminal who is likely to be out of jurisdiction before they can blink. What a shame. In some organizations they'd call that good economics, in others it is called dereliction of duty and misfeasance.
Old 16-12-2013, 17:32   #167

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
There's a limit to how quickly a sailboat can run away. But if anyone had the sense to contact the USCG up front, the USCG is very good about notifying "all" stations in a wide area to look for, gee, hard to find things like a big red boat??

And if the boat is French flagged, or the crew French nationals...a felony offense usually is grounds for immediate deportation or other prosecution. It seems odd that no one "got serious" up front about this.

The laws regarding bad checks will vary from state to state but usually, simply passing a check without having the funds to cover it becomes a criminal matter, knowingly OR unknowningly. It sounds mainly like The Powers That Be just don't want to waste [sic] their limited resources on chasing one non-violent criminal who is likely to be out of jurisdiction before they can blink. What a shame. In some organizations they'd call that good economics, in others it is called dereliction of duty and misfeasance.
It is only a criminal matter if turned over to the police immediately. If you give the person a chance to cover the check first, you have now extended them credit and it is no longer a criminal case.
Old 16-12-2013, 17:33   #168

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Was Scoobie banned for one thing or everything.
BTW His name has also been removed from the members list so you can't PM him either. His boat is now in the CG Registry so you can always contact the real Scoobie-do.
Old 16-12-2013, 17:40   #169

Boat: Watkins 29'
I searched posts by Scoobert and they came up, says he's off line, I clicked on one of them and the PM function still works, I don't think he's banned, he didn't do anything wrong.
Old 16-12-2013, 17:46   #170
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Kev, as I said the laws VARY BY STATE. In my home state, if you sign a check and the account is closed, or the money isn't there, I don't need to go to the police right away. A crime has been committed and a penalty is due by law, period. In your home state? damfino, I don't take checks. Where that check was passed? That might be a third state, the guy who got stuck with the check would need to enquire.
Old 16-12-2013, 18:38   #171

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
As a good excuse to have a beer or two, I am now ready to say there is no pink boat in Taylor's or Town Creek in Beaufort.

I live to serve.
Your sacrifice is no small thing. I was unsettled with thoughts of Primadonna in Taylor's Creek. Thanks!

Anyone know the Lookout Express guy? The charter cat that goes out to lookout? If they aint out there, then I am pretty satisfied that they headed out. Doubt they went to Bahamas to buy parts for their engine or live cheaply. Would that not be something if they were parked in the bight....

My money is still on south and east, where the livin is easy and they speak some french. An internet search on Primadonna by anyone halfway savvy would reveal plenty though They'll carry that millstone around for a while...
Old 16-12-2013, 18:45   #172

I did not see that red scow on Biscayne Bay this weekend. I will continue looking when I get back out again.
Old 16-12-2013, 18:45   #173

Boat: Fountain Pajot Maryland 37
Send a message via Skype™ to womensetsail

A boat like this sticks out like a sore thumb around here. Will keep our eyes open on the West Coast of Florida in case he makes it past the Keys and up this way....
Old 17-12-2013, 05:15   #174

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Cheoah, the town is all but closed for the winter. The weather is worse than appears because a good report, like for today's 60, really covers just two or three hours midday-ish. It's 0800 right now and colder than a witch's whatever. That cat hasn't moved in weeks afaik.

I have a bud with an airplane but he'll insist I go with him, then he'll scare my ass off. I don't care enough to endure it. Maybe we have a flyer from Norfolk on here to check it out?

Betcha the NSA knows.
Old 17-12-2013, 05:25   #175

Anyone check out the anchorage at Gilbert's Resort, or the other little derelict holes in the Blackwater Sound area?
Old 17-12-2013, 06:16   #176

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Anyone check out the anchorage at Gilbert's Resort, or the other little derelict holes in the Blackwater Sound area?
I live now in Wilmington. I should just for fun check the Wrightsville Beach anchorage or even the Carolina Beach free side if I can get down there.

I'd say either would be prime for Primadonna, as they can dinghy ashore in either and pan-handle or shoplift, which is why the consternation became so high in Oriental. After the shoplifting, Pascal passed the bad check.

Please read me loud-and-clear on this - I have said, as others have on this forum, it is an EASY matter to barter services - washing hulls, scraping barnacles, reaming heat-exchangers, etc for other things of value - a couple bags of groceries or some fuel. These particular folks instead have elected to steal, cheat, and defraud.

The cruising community is a tight-knit one and we help those in need, this crew has gotten charity in abundance in Oriental and still stole and defrauded people. I never heard one report of them offering services at a boatyard, mowing a blade of grass or raking a single leaf. Not one.

I wrote a couple pragmatic -not unkind - letters to the editor in Towndock.net and had one person rip me in an email because I was not charitable enough, and I should contribute as others had to buying them diesel "so they could get home".

Apologies for the mini-rant. Just I've seen this boat and people up close and wondered what the heck was wrong with them.
Old 17-12-2013, 06:51   #177

If there was any doubt, I'd say you should be careful, and or helpful, but after a year in Oriental, these 2 proved, beyond any shadow of a doubt, what their character is ...

I will generally go way above and beyond to help anyone and give the benefit of the doubt and help strangers, especially those on the water, it is a brotherhood of sorts. Down to the last nickel. These 2 have used that to the Nth degree, all up and down the east coast and continue to do so, I'm sure, to this day. My hope is that enough people read about them, and they become infamous enough, just so people stop giving them the benefit of the doubt. That would be all it would take to send them "home". They are not self sufficient. I use quotes in that, should they actually attempt to go home, they would almost assuredly be lost at sea. a fitting end.
Old 17-12-2013, 07:53   #178

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

maybe if you really want to find it -- put it our on the cruiseheimers ssb in the morning -- may want to talk with dick in north carolina first - but that covers a lot of territory
Old 17-12-2013, 10:58   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, or worse start a political discussion, but here's a nice summary of recent research that responds to your request Val: Rich People Are More Likely To Lie, Cheat, And Steal Candy From Children
Also don't want to hijack this thread, but while waiting for a sighting of the scoundrels I thought I'd point out that the Bloomberg article linked from the link Mike provided includes not just a layman's summary of the conclusions of the study, but also criticisms of the study authors conclusions and methods by others in the scientific community.

The traffic study portion observed driver behavior at intersections, and assumed that only rich people drive what the study authors define as expensive cars. Anyone who has seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off knows that everyone from high school kids to car park attendants can also drive expensive cars. The observations are less about the behaviors of rich people than they are about the people who drive cars that the authors defined as expensive.

The "stealing candy from children" portion of the study was especially laughable. From the Bloomberg article: "129 undergraduates were manipulated to view themselves as wealthy or poor. They were then presented with a jar of individually wrapped candy, which researchers said would go to children in a nearby lab, though the participants could take some if they wanted. The undergraduates believing themselves to be upper income took more than those believing themselves to be low income, the study found. "

And from this, the study authors conclude that rich people are more inclined to be unethical than are poor people? gad

Surely, Mike OReilly meant this as a joke.

With that said....has anybody seen the red sailboat?
Old 17-12-2013, 11:23   #180

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The rich people were just trying to keep the kids from a lifetime of obesity and diabetes. I took some candy from my girlfriends son's Halloween stash once or twice. But only in the name of compassion for his future.

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna