Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10   #1

ICC

New to the forum and just read the posts about the ICC requirements. Contacted the RYA and they were not much help and only referred me to the RYA manual. Just completed a five year sail from LA to Australia back to the ditch into the Caribbean and on to Houston. Leaving Houston in October 2013 for the Carib and onward to the Med in May of 2014. Here is a list of questions I have:
1. Is an ICC really required?
2. Can you get an ICC in the US? If so, where.
3. I plan to stop first in Spain and if they want an ICC do I have to take it in Spanish?
4. Will Spain allow me to stay while I take the ICC exam?
5. Will the RYA allow me to take the exam while my boat is in Spain (Med side) Why the RYA? So I can take the exam in English. Well in a form of English anyway. I really don't want to sail to England just to take an exam and then have to stay the winter in England.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Kingwoodie
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
New to the forum and just read the posts about the ICC requirements. Contacted the RYA and they were not much help and only referred me to the RYA manual. Just completed a five year sail from LA to Australia back to the ditch into the Caribbean and on to Houston. Leaving Houston in October 2013 for the Carib and onward to the Med in May of 2014. Here is a list of questions I have:
3. I plan to stop first in Spain and if they want an ICC do I have to take it in Spanish?
5. Will the RYA allow me to take the exam while my boat is in Spain (Med side) Why the RYA? So I can take the exam in English. Well in a form of English anyway. I really don't want to sail to England just to take an exam and then have to stay the winter in England.

Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help.

Kingwoodie
There's RYA Schools in Portugal, Gib and Spain... I would suggest you take it outside the Med as it involves the tidal work experience that the Med does not...
RYA Portugal is based in Lagos/Portimao... Gib speaks for itself..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:56   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: ICC

Quote:
No it is not, in Croatia, some form of certification is required and greece some form of certificate is useful , and they accept various ones including ASA
Quote:
IYT in florida, they are(were) an Originally Irish firm offering various RYA training, and were mandated to offer ICC to US nationals, They have been taken over by International Crew Training, (ICT) which is partnered with the RYA, they seem to be focussing on commercial crew training.

Both the Irish Sailing Association and the RYA have been specifically mandated recently to offer ICCs to US citizens and other nationalities whose countries do not offer the ICC. The RYA has several centre in the Med. There is no tidal component to the ICC so it can be done in any RYA school. Its a two day course with on-boat assessment

Quote:
Nope Spain doesnt require you to have an ICC. Spain is not a signatory to resolution 40 ( neither is greece or portugal), hence ICCs are not available in Spain ( to my knowledge)

Quote:
Spain wil allow you to stay for 90 day

Quote:
Yes you can do the ICC at any RYA centre in the Med, there are some in Spain & GIB, have a look on the RYA website. Generally you do the exam on your own boat , its a practical assessment in the main.

The RYA and the ISA were mandated recently to offer ICC to US citizens. ( rumour is we speak the same language, experts disagree.). Yes you take the exam in British English ( so brush up on your understated irony).

Frankly if you have any other form of sailing certification ( ASA etc) I wouldnt bother and id get that before bothering with the ICC.
Old 02-02-2013, 13:59   #4

Re: ICC

Thanks for the info. I have other certifications that are current. Anxious to set sail again.

Kingwoodie
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icc