Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2018, 10:34   #46

Re: I wrote a book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Ok, I'm about half way through it, and as a disclaimer I will try to reveal no plot or spoiler alerts.

To be perfectly honest, it's not my cup of tea. I hope I don't spoil anything by saying its not really about sailing, at least in the traditional sense of a sailing adventure.

It is well written, I've only come across one typo ( the word "me" was added where it didn't belong ). It moves along, almost too fast in some spots.

I think a lot of people will probably like it.
No worries, thanks for giving it a shot . If you remember where the typo was, send to me in PM and I'll get it fixed!

It is true that it is not 100% a sailing adventure (like the Long Way) so much as an adventure about sailors, in which sailing plays a key part.

If you keep reading, I'd love to hear what you think about the rest of the book. It keeps shifting and maybe (I hope) you'll change your mind. What chapter are you currently on?
tlaloc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:00   #47

I just had a fun idea - I want to run a little contest. On the cover of my book is a sailboat. Whoever can guess the make and model of the boat first, I’ll send them a free, signed paperback copy.

Maybe not too much of an inducement, but hopefully it’s fun anyway .

What do you think? Who can get it right first?
Old 05-05-2018, 14:20   #48

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Oh I'll finish it. I'm a readaholic !

And I think the boat is a Concordia 31 Ketch.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 14:50   #49

Quote:
Oh I'll finish it. I'm a readaholic !

And I think the boat is a Concordia 31 Ketch.
Good guess, but nope
Old 06-05-2018, 07:21   #50

Boat: American Tug

It's now on my Kindle. I've sailed those waters a little bit and look forward to reading your novel. Thanks
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:30   #51

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

I read a sample of the first pages. I Never get a book without reading a sample since I am pretty picky as a writing instructor at a university. Well done, and I ordered it.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:58   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochip View Post
It's now on my Kindle. I've sailed those waters a little bit and look forward to reading your novel. Thanks
Iím looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you are done. Thanks for reading!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:59   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
I read a sample of the first pages. I Never get a book without reading a sample since I am pretty picky as a writing instructor at a university. Well done, and I ordered it.
That is high praise. Iím so glad to hear the intro captured your interest. Thanks for letting me know

Canít wait to hear what you think as you read more!
Old 06-05-2018, 08:06   #54

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlathom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaloc75 View Post
That is high praise. Iím so glad to hear the intro captured your interest. Thanks for letting me know

Canít wait to hear what you think as you read more!
Creative writing is not my area of expertise, but as an avid reader I think a work of fiction that grabs your attention with a dramatic scene early on is a much better strategy than a book that requires you to wade thru seemingly never end pages of dull background before it gets interesting...if it ever does.

End of The Wild certainly does that. For sailors for sure, hard not to have a very visceral reaction to a shipwreck scene!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:00   #55

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Ok, finished the book. Again, just not my normal genre. I'm sure there will be plenty who like it. I did feel as though it wrapped up too quickly and neatly, and the intended message does not fit my personal viewpoint. Although I get it, as one who has some Creek Indian blood running in me.

But not bad, not bad.
OldManMirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:11   #56

Quote:
Ok, finished the book. Again, just not my normal genre. I'm sure there will be plenty who like it. I did feel as though it wrapped up too quickly and neatly, and the intended message does not fit my personal viewpoint. Although I get it, as one who has some Creek Indian blood running in me.

But not bad, not bad.
Thanks for reading it through to the end and I appreciate your feedback. If you have more thoughts on how you think it could be improved, Iíd love a PM from you. Maybe your ideas could go into v2 of this story or could help me craft an even better story in the next book.

That said, I know I canít appeal to every reader, and Iím ok with that too
Old 06-05-2018, 10:17   #57

I was just discussing historical accuracy of the book with BelizeSailor in PM and figured I should give this information to everyone on the thread, although edited so there are no spoilers:

All the historical parts were based on real events, with very little deviation. Even down to specific actions and words said by the characters - gleaned from journals written at that time. John Jewitt was a real person and if you want to learn more, I highly recommend John Jewitt’s book (to be read after finishing End of the Wild). I found it fascinating: https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Su.../dp/0295965479

The description of the movement of the tribes, the fact that the forests hadn’t yet grown when they got there, the movement of sea levels, villages now under water, all is based on archeological research in the area.

The legendary creatures are described (almost) as depicted by the natives, including physical characteristics and their roles in the Salish mythology. Their behavior is based on stories told to me by old timers up there. So it’s ‘realistic’ in terms of what people believe they have experienced in that region.

While it is a work of fiction I tried to keep it as true to life as I possibly could in terms of what it’s like up there, physically, mentally and psychologically.

I need to explain all this in the book in an Afterword as I think it would add another layer of interest for people reading it. I wish I’d thought of it sooner

I will also write a Foreword explaining my motivation for writing the book, my personal story of how my family came to sail up there, etc.
Old 06-05-2018, 22:45   #58

Boat: Leopard 40

[QUOTE=tlaloc75;2626088]Hey everyone, I've been a lurker on this forum for a number of years and finally decided to register so I could post some exciting news.

Over the winter I took the time to write my first novel - a lifelong dream that has finally come true!

T

Congratulations! I started writing while we were in the planning stages of buying the boat. But I write Historical Romance under the name Ella Quinn.

Best of luck on your book sales!

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:28   #59

[QUOTE=Tom and Maje;2627663]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaloc75 View Post
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker on this forum for a number of years and finally decided to register so I could post some exciting news.

Over the winter I took the time to write my first novel - a lifelong dream that has finally come true!

T

Congratulations! I started writing while we were in the planning stages of buying the boat. But I write Historical Romance under the name Ella Quinn.

Best of luck on your book sales!

Maje
You look like you've been very successful with your books. Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 09-05-2018, 07:09   #60

Boat: Norseman 400

Congrats on getting your book finished! I used the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon to read the first seven chapters.

The way it reads, you might think of writing it as a screenplay. But if you do, write it in chronological order and don't use the flashbacks.

There are a couple of glaring mistakes that diminish the credibility of the book. Since this was posted on a cruising forum, I focused on the accuracy of the sailing parts.

"There was still daylight, skies leaden, wind thirty knots or more judging by the size of the swells and the wind-driven spray. Sails were up, the wind driving them hard onto the rocks. No way to get them down, not now."

Then later....

"They'd been forced into a bad anchorage last night, the wind howling in the rigging and threatening to push them onto a lee shore. He'd stayed awake through it all, checking on the anchor, watching their position, ensuring they stayed safe. He had been exhausted, and he'd started to trust her. That's why he'd agreed to get some sleep while she took a turn at the helm. "
  • You wouldn't have both (all?) sails up (plural, so it's more than one) in thirty-plus knots of wind. You'd likely have only a reefed main.
  • Sails were up driving them hard into the rocks. Wait, what? It says they were forced into a bad anchorage, wind howling in the rigging; that he checked on the anchor. They anchored with the sails up? Holy cow! In thirty knots of wind? Unbelievable! This guy must be related to Robert Redford in "All is Lost."
  • Typically, a person doesn't "take a turn at the helm" at anchor. They might "keep watch" to make sure the anchor doesn't drag.

"When the weather was bad, they'd stop for the night, trying to find anchorages that were both convenient and secure."
  • What happens when the weather is good? They just keep sailing?
  • Sailors plan their routes based on the available anchorages along the way. Finding an anchorage isn't an afterthought of bad weather coming in. Competent sailors plan their passages to include safe anchorages. Forget convenience. Is your main character incompetent?
  • They would also know the weather forecast in this day and age. Or at least they should.

The sentence structure is correct, as is spelling and punctuation.

The pacing is really quick, and often feels rushed. More description would help slow it down.

This is a great book for the young adult, junior high school market.

This is a solid first effort. For your next project, it would be worth hiring an editor to give it a fresh look with that all important "second set of eyes," preferably someone who has solid knowledge of the subject matter.

A lot of people dream of writing a book, but only a few actually put the work in and see it through. Good job!

Best of luck to you!
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote