Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 06:54   #1

pirate "I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

"I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

How many got this on your mind ? How to Deal with this big life question ?

Some say! You're out of your mind, it will never hold more then 1-2-5-10 years, and you want ground under your feet again sooner or later...

what's going on in your mind, about this ?

or tell your story
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:12   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: "I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

Like everything else we do in life, we do it until it no longer interests us, or is no longer fun.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:30   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 33

My husband and I have lived lives up to now that can best be summed up in two words, “everything changes.” We have lived on boats, and off boats. We have moved frequently, not across town, but numerous times, usually over great distances, and for a variety of different reasons. Sometimes it was because of military transfer, but before and after his military career we did it many times just for the change. We have both changed careers several times. Just about the only thing we can count on not to change is that fact that sooner or later something will change, usually in a big way. This fact has kept life fresh and exciting and I would not change it.

We both love living on boats. Whenever we have moved off of a boat and back into a shore side dwelling it has never been because of any dissatisfaction with the live aboard lifestyle, but rather has always been a response to some other situation in our life that made it the right thing for us to do at the time, some other need that had to be met, or an opportunity we wanted to take advantage of. We both are completely committed to the idea of cruising. It is a dream that we have both had almost since the day we married. If you ask either of us right now how long we plan to cruise we will say “as long as our health and strength will allow it.” But that’s today. Maybe two years into it our answer could be different if some other adventure, need, or opportunity has presented itself that we can’t foresee right now.

I think most cruisers are drawn to the lifestyle not only for the travel, but also to a large degree for the freedom, and the idea of constant change, of not being shackled to one reality day after day. So why shackle yourself to the idea of cruising aboard a boat forever? Maybe you will live aboard forever, maybe you won’t. There is no contract to be signed committing to this for a lifetime. When someone moves into a shoreside house they don’t have to commit to live in it forever. Do people ask them about it? Do others expect to be told? Or do you move to a new pile of sticks and bricks when you decide it’s time to do so?

I see Lin and Larry Pardey as a great example of the right attitude toward this. No two people could have ever been more committed to the cruising life than they were, yet all they would ever say about it when asked how long they were going to do it was, “as long as it’s fun.” As it turned out there came a time for them to stop. They could not have foreseen how things would work out with Larry’s illness, but they knew when it was the right time to transition and they did so. There were no explanations to make. They never said they were going to do it forever.
Old 16-11-2015, 07:48   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I moved onto a boat 18 months ago and I can't see myself ever going back on land.

I'm more of a liveaboard than a cruiser though, in that I work full time still and commute, I don't really go places beyond week long trips (yet) and I don't have a house/apartment, everything I own is on the boat!
Old 16-11-2015, 07:57   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Like everything else we do in life, we do it until it no longer interests us, or is no longer fun.

Mark
I seem to be agreeing with this guy a lot lately, it's my plan also.

But financially the plan is to buy a house in six years, but until we are out there, I truly don't know if we will last that long, or when sailing is too physically demanding if we will be buying a Trawler with that money set aside to buy a house.
I have a tendency to run through Hobbies, I get pretty good at it, not expert and lose interest and go on to the next. I have never been retired so I do not know what it will be like, will I stick with this, or become bored with it? Will she?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 08:05   #6

Yep, till the rum runs out or it's not fun anymore (oops, that's redundant)

Reality is eventually you will likely be forced off by health issues, so have an exit strategy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 08:51   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

This is the best answer to this question or any variation of this question that I have EVER seen or heard! Very well said Becky. Thank you for the thought you clearly put into this answer. Mike...
Old 16-11-2015, 09:11   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvick View Post
This is the best answer to this question or any variation of this question that I have EVER seen or heard! Very well said Becky. Thank you for the thought you clearly put into this answer. Mike...
You are very welcome!!
Old 16-11-2015, 10:06   #9

Boat: Carena 40

This is my first response in the forum but it is a subject that intrigues me as well. My wife and I are also planning to eventually move on to the boat and spend the rest of our lives visiting this beautiful planet we live on.

We have a Carena 40 steel ketch and will spend the next few years preparing her to meet our needs. Luckily we are pretty laid-back and don't require much in the way of material items. We will eventually reduce our possessions by sale, donation, gifting or garbage. We will sell the house to fund the pot and bridge the gap until we can collect our pensions.

I think the real question will arise as to when it is no longer physically feasible for one or both of us to continue. But I don't want to worry about the mule going blind so we'll deal with that when the time comes.

I have traveled much and lived in many places and different countries. My philosophy has always been; you won't know if you don't try. Sure it could possibly be unpleasantly different than expected. But then chalk that up to experience and go on. We only get one shot at this life so make the most of it and enjoy it on your terms.
Make_My_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:07   #10

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Some would say it is a primordial feeling that is imbedded deep with the genomes. We came out of the ocean millions of years ago, or so say some of the scientists. That yearning is something that is on a constant low buzz for my psyche.

I think the worst failures for human beings is to look backwards at our paths through the life and wonder why we knew we should have taken that path...were even compelled to take that path...and did not.

If that calling is strong enough, listen to it. Then figure out a way to 'get er done'....I always wince when I hear a someone say it is a forever thing. Life is too capricious for such statements. All of the other posters to your question are correct. The main thing is to get started and see where it goes. Good luck to your lifestyle change...enjoy!
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:35   #11

For whatever reason you get the 'call' do it until it hurts or isn't as much fun as the next 'call' seems to be. My wife and I had careers on land, inland, and felt the need to be near or on big water. We sold all and moved to Fort Myers Beach then bought a 34' Hunter and now a 38' Hunter. We moved aboard 10 years ago. Looking at possible sailing plans this season we were listing the same places we had been and began thinking that maybe it was time to do something else. We are selling the boat and intend to buy a motorcoach to travel around a bit. No telling how long we will do that or even if we will like it but it is the next 'calling'.

We can always do the next thing if we think about it.
AlwaysFORSAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 10:40   #12

Boat: Peterson Islander 40

I have spent many years on and off during my lifetime living and working aboard. I am retired now and have lived on my current yacht for more than four years cruising the world. I'm writing this from Antigua WI. I hope to be back in Sydney Australia next year. I have no intention or desire to move on to the land. I have surplus solar power, enough to run everything including my frig, TV, computers etc. even my watermaker. Which means... no bills. I can anchor in sheltered bays anywhere in the world with million dollar views for nothing. I couldn't even imagine living on the land ever again.

James
Old 16-11-2015, 11:12   #13

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
"I/WE Intend to spend most / rest of my life on the yacht"

(snip)

what's going on in your mind, about this ?
Living the rest of my life on a boat sounds pretty confining. I love to sail and be on our boat, but I don't feel I'm truly experiencing a place until I get off the thing and do some adventuring (hiking, biking, kayaking, running, taking photos, listening to the region's music, interacting with the locals, etc.) I see our boat as a movable, floating home that we live and work out of and explore from. Having the boat or being on it isn't the destination- but a means to take me on my journey. That being said there's nothing finer than a sweet sunset observed from the cockpit of my boat with a tasty meal and glass of my favorite beverage….
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 11:23   #14

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

We are in the process of selling our things now. Its not so very hard for me, I have always been able to pare down to near nothing and been quite happy. But my BF is looking at years worth of family memorabilia and "legacies". Quite a different experience, emotionally, for us both.

I suggest, if you are unsure of how well you take to the life style, find someone who can store be most emotional and valuable bits for the first year or two. Once you know you don't intend to look back, then deal with whatever you have stored.

We will be sending the family treasures to the BFs children. (They are adults now). He can't make them keep it all, but he get the piece of mind knowing that the next generation will have choice of how much historical baggage they want to keep.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 11:39   #15

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

I have always been amazed that some feel it is an all or nothing decision. Once you take the plunge there is no going back. I like to do things for fun. I like to change my mind, passions, and interests. I think I will always love sailing. Right now I love being on a boat but could change my mind someday.

Tags
yacht