Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2015, 14:26   #61

Boat: Bristol 35
Re: I need a trailer- help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
rwidman, the "big girl panties" was a particularly tasteless and offensive comment.

S/V B'Shert
While the quote is directed at me- I take no offense. I believe that one can only be offened if they allow themselves to be. I am sure that somethings I say and do may offend others with no intend to do so, therefore I do not allow what others say and do to offend me and I hope others don't as well. I'm a big free speech believer
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:30   #62

Re: I need a tra iler- help pleases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You apparently aren't concerned with the $. Unfortunately some are and it would bill ill advised to encourage such an endeavor. I'm glad you are happy with it and can afford it. That being said, I hope you find a trailer. I doubt we a speaking wide load? What about overpass clearances?
I am not concerned with the money- It falls into the amount I am willing to spend to get what I wanted and the education that will come with the doing. I found a boat mover that will load and unload for me at a resonable price- not the cheapest but after talk with him I feel the best for the job. It is a wide load- 10' beam, it will go under the overpasses.
Old 22-04-2015, 14:43   #63

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
I am not concerned with the money- It falls into the amount I am willing to spend to get what I wanted and the education that will come with the doing. I found a boat mover that will load and unload for me at a resonable price- not the cheapest but after talk with him I feel the best for the job. It is a wide load- 10' beam, it will go under the overpasses.
Great! By wide load I meant needing a permit. I don't think 10' does.

Best of luck with the adventure.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 14:45   #64

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

The specs I've seen on the Bristol 35 indicate a 10 foot beam and 12,500 pound weight, empty which could easily be in excess of 15,000 with trailer. Consider the vehicle and trailer width regulations this entails.

A good friend of mine has made trailers with welded on jack stands for smaller boats, obviously not used to ramp launch boats, but this allows him to store the boat in his yard, as well as reduced storage rates elsewhere. As a previous answer indicated, a flat bed trailer will put the boat higher up than some of the speciality trailers, so you need to check height regulations as well.

Years ago, I pulled a 10,000 lb boat and trailer with a 8.5 ft. beam from the Midwest to southern Florida and don't ever want to do that again.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
They have NOT already taken the 'plunge', they have so far wasted $1,500. There is something called 'cut your losses'. Now spending another $2,500 so you more than double your losses HAS NOT BEEN PLUNGED ALREADY. Selling the lead doesn't just cut your loss, it creates a profit. (does it STILL HAVE LEAD IN IT?? or did it get stripped already?)

From what I can tell this boat is NOT worth $4,000 in its current condition.
If one was NOT interested in saving money, then why buy such a dead boat to start with. Find one locally, there are so many old dead monohulls around,
and why do a 35ft boat if you just want to learn, go mess with a 24ft boat.

Or just be cheered on probably by someone who hasn't spend years building things and knows what wasting time and money is all about..
I have my free jet boat project, did I buy a $2,000 boat to build it? No, I bought a $400 boat and sold $600 of parts from it, so I was given $200 and a boat and trailer to start with. And that project is still not close to finished.

I don't doubt the skills of the OP to tackle the project, but why start at such a disadvantage with an sight-unseen boat?
Oh Nimble- you have NOT been paying attention. The value of the boat in its current condition is irrelevant. I am not losing anything. I was not and am not looking for a boat to salvage and make money. Or a boat to fix up and make money- I was looking for a classroom- an experience- a lesson in boats.
I was looking for exactly what I got at a price I was willing to pay- including shipping. I was looking for a 35’ boat because that is what I wanted. Have you never wanted anything and gone out and got it despite the appearance of craziness? Anyway, I wanted what I wanted and I got what I got.
I rebuilt many cars over the years and a couple motorcycles. I enjoyed every wrench turn, every busted knuckle. I got all of them running but not all of them finished, never did I make money on them- but the intrinsic rewards were great. I take that back- I made money on the ’62 panhead.
I am sorry you can’t understand but that’s your choice, perhaps our goals are so different it’s hard to understand. I am starting at a “disadvantage” by choice-I don’t find it a disadvantage- I find it the opposite- an advantage for all the reasons previously mentioned.
I will finish the boat, I will learn, I will sail it. But most of all I will be happy doing it.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:06   #66

Quote:
Great! By wide load I meant needing a permit. I don't think 10' does.

Best of luck with the adventure.
Actually legal load in FL is 8'6". 10' is a wide load.
The mover will be applying for all permits.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:11   #67

Quote:
Oh Nimble- you have NOT been paying attention. The value of the boat in its current condition is irrelevant. I am not losing anything. I was not and am not looking for a boat to salvage and make money. Or a boat to fix up and make money- I was looking for a classroom- an experience- a lesson in boats.
I was looking for exactly what I got at a price I was willing to pay- including shipping. I was looking for a 35’ boat because that is what I wanted. Have you never wanted anything and gone out and got it despite the appearance of craziness? Anyway, I wanted what I wanted and I got what I got.
I rebuilt many cars over the years and a couple motorcycles. I enjoyed every wrench turn, every busted knuckle. I got all of them running but not all of them finished, never did I make money on them- but the intrinsic rewards were great. I take that back- I made money on the ’62 panhead.
I am sorry you can’t understand but that’s your choice, perhaps our goals are so different it’s hard to understand. I am starting at a “disadvantage” by choice-I don’t find it a disadvantage- I find it the opposite- an advantage for all the reasons previously mentioned.
I will finish the boat, I will learn, I will sail it. But most of all I will be happy doing it.
Great response but in all honesty sometimes posts show up late? I've had some come up late and thought.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:12   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
The specs I've seen on the Bristol 35 indicate a 10 foot beam and 12,500 pound weight, empty which could easily be in excess of 15,000 with trailer. Consider the vehicle and trailer width regulations this entails.

A good friend of mine has made trailers with welded on jack stands for smaller boats, obviously not used to ramp launch boats, but this allows him to store the boat in his yard, as well as reduced storage rates elsewhere. As a previous answer indicated, a flat bed trailer will put the boat higher up than some of the speciality trailers, so you need to check height regulations as well.

Years ago, I pulled a 10,000 lb boat and trailer with a 8.5 ft. beam from the Midwest to southern Florida and don't ever want to do that again.
We had a 33' sport fisher that weighed 12,000 dry, add 300 gallons of fuel and it was a bit heavy . With the top, radar etc we were just shy of 14'. I had no problem pulling that boat back and forth to FL from GA. It also had a 10' beam and we should have gotten permits but did not. The pulling of the boat isn't really an issue, I've pulled many boats, trailers, livestock etc in my life. Drive the farm semi as well. I just don't know about sailboat trailers and I've learned a lot about them through this conversation. I don't feel confident that I would find a trailer that would not damage the boat thanks to Ann which pointed out some things I'd not considered. I am on the Bristol owners site and there is more than one owner that trailers this same boat so it can be done and is done regulary. I will eventually find a trailer that will work but to get my Baby down here I have opted to have it moved by a competent and experienced boat mover.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:17   #69

Quote:
Great response but in all honesty sometimes posts show up late? I've had some come up late and thought.
I've not had that happen and everything stated has been in numerous posts but that's ok. As I said- I'm excited and looking forward to the learning, the challenge and the reward. Everyone here has their own experiences, thoughts and goals. I'm sure all comments were meant no malice. My goals seem to be in the minority but I've never been one to follow the beaten path and once again I'm off in my own world of plans and preparation through the briars and thorns, ready to put on the grimey clothes and roll up my sleeves.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:26   #70

Quote:
I've not had that happen and everything stated has been in numerous posts but that's ok. As I said- I'm excited and looking forward to the learning, the challenge and the reward. Everyone here has their own experiences, thoughts and goals. I'm sure all comments were meant no malice. My goals seem to be in the minority but I've never been one to follow the beaten path and once again I'm off in my own world of plans and preparation through the briars and thorns, ready to put on the grimey clothes and roll up my sleeves.
I was referring to you response to Nimble about not listening.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:29   #71

Quote:
I was referring to you response to Nimble about not listening.
Yes I realize that, however the points were mentioned in numerous posts that he commented back to so there was not a way he did not read the items. Not pay attention to them yes- not read them or see them- no.
Old 22-04-2015, 15:32   #72

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Biker, I started reading this thread as a skeptic. I am now a believer! Your grasp of the toil and expense that you have undertaken seems sound, y our enthusiasm is contagious, and I reckon that you will indeed achieve your goals.

IMO, all the folks who are so concerned about your spending your own money to address your own ends should piss off and let you get on with it. I hope that the move goes well, and that you have a great time learning about boats.

Good luck with it all,

Jim, using Ann's computer
Old 22-04-2015, 19:16   #73

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, call this guy...Brad +17065938428
Tell him Willie in Mexico gave ya the number...Great job and cheap!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 08:19   #74

Quote:
Yes I realize that, however the points were mentioned in numerous posts that he commented back to so there was not a way he did not read the items. Not pay attention to them yes- not read them or see them- no.
Just for shits and giggles, since it's biker, what kind?
Old 23-04-2015, 08:46   #75

Thank you everyone for your input. Hopefully this thread will one day help someone that does a search on this subject.

Tags
lease