Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 08:31   #1

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat
I need a friend!

Specifically, I'm hoping to get acquainted with any owners or former owners of an Albin 7.9 meter sloop. I have owned one of these very nice boats for several years, but have never met, nor talked to, another owner to share info. This is NOT the ubiquitous Albin Vega that has a reputation as an ocean crosser, but is the IOR style 1/4 tonner designed by Rolf Magnusson in Sweden in the 70s. While it's a nice, 26' pocket cruiser, I do some club racing on my boat and I'm trying to maximize its performance. Any suggestions or information regarding a connection to someone with first hand knowledge of this boat would be wonderful and appreciated. The Albin owners' site is primarily used by Albin powerboat owners and has proven to be of no use to me...and attempts to contact the designer via Facebook have not yielded any responses. Not even sure he's still with us....Even access to polars for the boat would be very helpful, but I've had no luck researching that either..... Thanks for reading...Gary

scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 18:48   #2

Boat: J/36
Re: I need a friend!

You may have already found this:
https://www.boat-specs.com/fr/albin-marine/albin-79
With about 250 of them built, you may only need to be a little patient. Posting on a European-based site might be more effective, since most of them seem to be over there.

psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 22:05   #3

Thank you. Yes, I realize that most Albin 79s are likely on the other side of the pond. I have hull number 192, a 1976 model. I hope someone reaches out, or gives me a site I've not found where I might reach any owners. Unless they know English, we may have a language barrier as all I have is a lousy bit of German from high school a million years ago! I appreciate the response....
Old 28-01-2020, 23:15   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

You might try checking with this website out of UK:
https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/
You could contact Dick McClary directly and I bet he can point you in the right direction. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 13:09   #5

Thanks, Don, for your suggestion. I've written to Mr. McClary. We'll see if I get a response. BTW: I like your boat. I downsized to the Albin from a beautiful Yankee 30, designed by S and S, like your boat. I'll bet she sails great; mine surely did....I so appreciate your suggestion....

Gary
Old 29-01-2020, 13:43   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

No problem. I am pretty sure Dick McClary will respond. Iíve exchanged emails a couple times with him, heís a very friendly guy.
Thanks for the kind words about my boat. Yes I am quite partial to her particular quirks and she scuds along fine for me. I am pretty sure that Yankee MIGHT beat me in a race though, especially upwind! Do you have any photos of your boat? I donít think Iíve ever seen it.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 14:37   #7
Are you serious?

Boat: Hunter 410

Maybe Gary just needs to be less scary
Old 29-01-2020, 21:34   #8

I would post a photo, Don, but don't know how to! I'm a techno-dinosaur. I don't see any URL on my photos, and don't know the difference between a JPEG and a PDF....etc. I might be able to manage sending it to an email address, but don't know yours....Duh....