Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2010, 10:30   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by svcambria View Post
A little bit of um, er, Dutch uncle advise - you should get to a convenient coast and sail on the ocean with someone to see if it suits - "they" say that sea sickness is terrible (don't know 'cuz I never had it) but if you do suffer from that it would be wise to find out how badly and what you could do about it sooner rather than later. And experience secondary stuff, like living in a small space, always in motion, a place for everything and everything in its place, etc etc etc...

Michael
That's definitely good advice! In fact, it's such good advice that I've already got plans in motion for doing just that. I checked out the crew wanted section of this very website and found someone who didn't mind that I wasn't really experienced. I'd much rather find out now if this is something that I want to invest such a huge portion of my life in, than be disappointed later. Like you suggested, I want to find out about living in a small space on the ocean that's always in motion. I'm not overly worried about sea sickness. The only time I've ever felt even a little motion sick was after 5 straight hours of roller-coasters, but a boat is a totally different thing so I suppose we'll see.

I like the idea of fixing up my own dinghy, it would give me some good practical experience. However that might have to wait for next summer because all my money right now is being saved for the plane ticket I need to get to Connecticut. I know a lot of you probably grew up somewhere you were around boats so it was easier for you to get into sailing, but for those of you who had to travel a long way just to get on a boat in the ocean for the first time, I think you can understand how ridiculously excited I am right now about my newest plan!
Kit-renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 10:56   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit-renard View Post
However that might have to wait for next summer because all my money right now is being saved for the plane ticket I need to get to Connecticut.
I grew up in Connecticut. Sailing doesn't get much better than summer time in New England.

Fair Winds

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 12:11   #33
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
A sailing dinghy can be put together rediculously cheap. I got my hull for $40 as junk from someones back yard. The first mast I used was a piece of chain link fence toprail and made a set of sails out of a blown out mainsail someone gave to me. I've since upgraded to aluminum spar , again salvage with a gaff made from a brush handle and a boom made from a boathook. It sails great and is a load of fun.

I'm in an anchorage right now that has at least two boats for sale rediculous cheap. An islander 29 for $1500 and a pearson 37 for $10,000. When you go looking take your time, there are a lot of really good boats that can be had for under $20k.
Good luck with your plans.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote