Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 17:09   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
I Do Not Want to Fix Things - What Boat ?

I don't want to have to fix things CONSTANTLY. I know the rigors of saltwater. I want to single-hand cruise the Caribe. I could go sail or power, but I would opt for sail. I just don't want to fix and fix and fix things! I am asking for paramaters on what kind/make/style of boat I should get with the least amount of perpetual problems. I am fine with constant MAINTANENCE. I can do that... I could live on 27 feet without a problem. I am a fifty-five year old, very adaptable man.

So, if you had $400K usd and wanted to spend lets say $100K on the boat and then just live your life as simply as possible for the next ten plus years, what would you buy?

That, good people, is my question!
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:26   #2

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
This one might be interesting.

I think you nailed it when you said "as simply as possible" if you don't want to fix things!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:32   #3

A cruise ship? At least there will be a crew to do the work for you.

Sorry, but stuff breaks - it breaks at home, it breaks in your vehicle, it breaks on airplanes and it breaks on boats.
Old 05-09-2010, 17:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I don't want to have to fix things CONSTANTLY.
OK, works for me. Sorry but you can't get there from here. You and almost everyone here would have bought that boat already so it's not for sale now. Brand new boats come with a curse of having to return it home every time you find a problem covered under warranty. They know you'll give up eventually and you will. Old boats are just working a duty cycle on everything on the boat for even the best of them.

You just need to have a state of mind that says it's out there busted, old, or never done right so find me - fix me. If you don't get there you are at your peril. Some simple things fail. If you don't get your mind right about looking for the stuff you'll be hurt by it down the road when it won't be at your leisure.

Quote:
So, if you had $400K usd and wanted to spend lets say $100K on the boat and then just live your life as simply as possible for the next ten plus years, what would you buy?
I would spend about $120,000 then fix it up nice to about $160,000 and keep the rest of the money. $100,000 really won't buy anything really good. I would buy the smallest big boat I can handle and fit all my crap in. When I say smallest big boat I'm thinking not all 42 ft boats are the same size. When shopping boats I don't think brands but price ranges and you look for that exceptional boat that has enough space but not more than needed. You don't need all the Oysters ever made you just want the best of what ever you can find that is really for sale. Searching for the perfect boat is a pipe dream. It has a few goodies most boats don't have. It should have been owned by a real sailor most of it's life so you can avoid most of the terrible things previous owners do to boats (they all do it). There is also the issue that you never want to be the ugliest boat any place you go. Your pride can handle that much.

You need to get in touch with your inner boat. If you have a wife or girlfriend (not both) there is the last rule to consider. She knows an ugly boat when she sees one so don't expect to buy that one. Men have died. It's all to say the thing has to work for your style and needs. It is up to you to reveal your inner boat and just accept it and hope your wife likes it too. There is always a last leap of faith. With that in mind I also think you'll be sure when you see it. Lots of the mebers here say so too. CAn't explain it either. Mine isn't for sale as I think we got there. It's still a lot of work for me.

The no work boat of course is an OPB. "Other Peoples Boat".
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:47   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
if you dont want to fix things--even brand new boats have repairs and modifications required to be done. DO sail opb--is a good way to find what you do and dont like in boats. have fun and goood luck.
oh yes, and exactly what pblais said^^^^^. you will know your boat. you will have passion for it. it will make your day. you will HAVE to have it. NOW. so-sail opb until you find the one.....smooth sailing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:55   #6

Yes, stuff breaks. But if you stay simple, you have the ability to think of your fixing as routine maintanence. Something to consider when choosing a boat-can you fix what's there?
Old 05-09-2010, 18:02   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
oh--if i had 400k to do with as i wished on the sea--i would hire a full crew to refit this boat and sail her everywhere i could find to sail her. that would take 150k, total. i would give much of it away, probably...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:04   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
RogueWave - Our Yacht Inventory

Here ya go. Of course you will need to fix it, but it looks like a good old boat.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:07   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I don't want to have to fix things CONSTANTLY. I know the rigors of saltwater. I want to single-hand cruise the Caribe. I could go sail or power, but I would opt for sail. I just don't want to fix and fix and fix things! I am asking for paramaters on what kind/make/style of boat I should get with the least amount of perpetual problems. I am fine with constant MAINTANENCE. I can do that... I could live on 27 feet without a problem. I am a fifty-five year old, very adaptable man.

That, good people, is my question!
To not have to fix stuff you have to start with fixed stuff.

Single handed with your budget here is what I might do.

Move to an apartment in Florida. Find a 36 foot trawler for 40-50k. Find a good boat yard and get her bristol for another $50k.

Then I could peace out for 10 years easy...

The reason I would not go sail is simply that IMO sailboats just have more stuff that can break. Rigging, sails etc. Also single handed you just turn the key and go where you like.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh--if i had 400k to do with as i wished on the sea--i would hire a full crew to refit this boat and sail her everywhere i could find to sail her. that would take 150k, total. i would give much of it away, probably...
I think he is talking about having 400K to get the boat, fix it up and live on it for ten years. Even doing it simply that doesn't seem like there would be all that much to give away. Realistic and possibly possible if simple is the rule and fixing things is accepted..in this market.
Old 05-09-2010, 18:21   #11

Boat: PETERSON 44
maybe a pearson triton. If you dumped 50k into one it would be like new.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:41   #12

Sorry, but quite honestly if you don't want to fix things then cruising is not for you...

400,000 for a boat and ten years cruising will not go very far if you are going to rely on others to 'fix' the boat for you, that is of course assuming that you can find them when you need them.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:51   #13

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Cruising = working on your boat in exotic places.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:41   #14

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Harry Pidgeon built Islander on the beach for a thousand dollars and sailed simply several times around the world. No engine. No electricity. No electronics. If you don't have all those systems, you have a lot less maintenance. Just maintain the hull, rigging, and sails. Off you go to paradise just like Harry.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 20:12   #15

Sounds like you'll definitely want to go the power route. You might want to have a look at some old tugboats. Robust platforms that can be maintained at "VW Bug" levels and still remain functional. As mentioned, less aboard means less to fix. If that's paramount to you, then do away with as many bells and whistles you figure you can comfortable do without.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote