Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 17:59   #46

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I don't want to have to fix things CONSTANTLY. I know the rigors of saltwater. I want to single-hand cruise the Caribe.
As the person who taught me to sail once said, "remember, you're on an island out here, you better know how to fix things"

I'd say, get the best damn dingy you can buy or get in shape for some long distant swimming....
"The ocean has always been a salve to my soul... Later down the road of life, I made the discovery that salt water was also good for the mental abrasions one inevitably acquires on land." -- Jimmy Buffett
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 18:08   #47

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I'm trying to see how the nay-sayers can in good conscience continue to not see the light. You've expressed a willingness to do maintenance. Good. Fixing's not something you want to do so with your budget hire someone to do the tasks you deem onerous.

Problem solved.

I'd pick a single screw trawler... and get a rigorous survey. Good luck and happy cruising.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 18:29   #48
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I guess we did the math...

100k for the boat, as is.
2500.00 a month to live, cruise and maintain for someone who does not want to fix stuff...

Just don't add up for alot of us...

Could I do it on those numbers? Sure, but there is not much on my boat that I can't fix myself... not just maintain, but repair when it breaks down.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 19:44   #49

I guess we did the math...

..and had the experiences!

No boat, new, old, well maintained or not is guaranteed to be perfect. If you don't fix it yourself it's going to cost BIG bucks. Jeez just the cost of parts will make your eyes water!

I don't call it nay saying but realism.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 20:15   #50

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
besides, it would get awfully boring without something to work on or tinker with.
Old 06-09-2010, 22:01   #51

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
Well That's Just Dandy....

I'm not buying a freakin' boat!

If anybody hears from MarkJ, ask him to, no PLEAD with him to contact me...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 22:07   #52

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
I don't see a problem here. If you don't want to fix things and you want to keep it simple? Well then don't fix things it will get simpler and simpler until, well, the whole problem will just go away (sink). Ehhh?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 22:07   #53
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
sucks when the answer isn't what ya wanna hear, huh? I hate that too.. Actually sailing with Mark would be an amazing and brilliant way to get invaluable experience and a sense of what living and cruising would be like for you... Might change the parameters of your question in a good way! PM him and look into it!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 22:32   #54

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch
sarafina, I would love nothing more than to learn from Mark. I refuse to ask him though, I bet he has a great deep throaty laugh, and I'm not in the mood right now to hear it...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 23:13   #55

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Y'know...400k...it's doable..you will have to work on stuff...that part is not negotiable,
but a single hander doesn't need much boat..nothing bigger than say 35'..and more like
say, a nor'sea 27..stupid capable boat, and built tough..or maybe an older island packet..get her refit to the nines, but kept as simple as possible..forget mechanical reefer, use electric and sparingly..can freeze and refreeze your own ice that way..keep the electronics to a bare minimum..gps and backup and say three radios..one good radar if you are so inclined..furuno i'd say..

just be awaret hat you will have to work on the boat, and should..if you don't work on her, you will not know her..and when things go south that can put your butt in a crack..but if you fit out a good stout boat in well found condition, it should keep your fixit itis down to a dull roar...you should watch captain ron..
Old 06-09-2010, 23:52   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
sarafina, I would love nothing more than to learn from Mark. I refuse to ask him though, I bet he has a great deep throaty laugh, and I'm not in the mood right now to hear it...
If you're worried about his laugh you oughta hear him sing.

Thank God I was drunk...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9110406.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	19041  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 14:36   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton318 View Post
I'm so flabbergasted I can't formulate a response. Really, Paul? Come on. Are you serious? Did you accidently put in an extra zero?
I WAS TOO PAUL I CAN THINK OF SEVERAL NICE SHANNON'S, MORRIS'ES, ETC ALL UNDER $100K THAT ARE NOT ONLY EXTREMELY NICE SAILING BOATS BUT MOST OF THE TIME THE PRETTIEST BOAT IN A HARBOR
CastOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 16:01   #58

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
This is really very simple. Buy a sunfish or simple skiff and hire someone else to fix it when it breaks.

The objective isn't realistic. Your budget doesn't allow for a full-time captain/crew to do the normal maintenance required on any cruising boat.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 17:44   #59

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Hey guys, he did say in capitals, that he didn't want to be CONSTANTLY fixing things but was alright with maintaining...isn't the difference just a bit of a mind shift? As Astrid said, you have to have something to do!

TY also said he was wanting to go simple. That's the key! If it isn't there it definately won't need to be fixed. There are those that have little to do with electrical. Those that skip the engine. Those that leave the holes in the boat and the plumbing out. Mechanical advantage of blocks instead of wiches. Tiller instead of wheel. Yes, everything that is on the boat will have to be, uhmm, maintained if it breaks but with simplicity the maintaining can be simpler too. Make it enjoyable!

Don't give up!
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142
I'm trying to see how the nay-sayers can in good conscience continue to not see the light. You've expressed a willingness to do maintenance. Good. Fixing's not something you want to do so with your budget hire someone to do the tasks you deem onerous.

Problem solved.
Problem solved? What about when you're on a passage and something breaks three days from the nearest landfall? Who ya gonna call?

Unless you spend all of your time within a few hours of a fully-equipped marina, you ARE going to have to fix things eventually. There is simply no way at all around that.

Of course, one could debate the semantic differences between "fixing" and "maintaining" I suppose. But things break. And the more you use your boat the way God intended it to be used, the more things will break.

Perhaps the problem is that, when you read forums like this one, you get the impression that one thing or another is breaking every day, and most days several things break. Not so! People come to these forums to discuss the things that broke, how to fix them, how to keep them from breaking in the future, how to handle bad weather, and such like that. That does NOT mean that every day out on the water is a day spent mostly fixing things and dealing with adversity. In fact most days nothing breaks, the weather is nice, and you get to relax and enjoy yourself.

Which is not to say that it is all sitting back and sipping Pina Coladas. There is always plenty that needs to be done. But you aren't "CONSTANTLY" fixing things, and you do have time to enjoy the boat, the sea, the sky, and life in general. Occasionally fixing things is just the price you pay for those beautiful and relaxing days--and the price is well worth it!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote