Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 12:11   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Gulfstar 37
Posts: 133
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

To be honest, I didn't find assy trim to be that hard once I tried it - when you get it up and flying it all starts making sense once you start making adjustments.

Thomm - my boat is a dispacement hull, so my assy's are only for light winds. My boat doesn't surf and If I can't make hull speed at 10knts with my white sails, I'm doing something wrong.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:05   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Sorry, donít get the point. Hand-over-hand? You mean up the mast? Yes, thatís how I do it. Do you mean without a sock? Yes thatís eminently possible but then itís much harder to douse without a sock especially if the wind pipes up. In the lee of the mainsail? Yes, of course, when thatís possible.

Still donít get the pole, uphaul, downhaul, tack line, etc. How do you get the pole back? Another, 4th line? Sounds like you need 4 extra winches.

But most importantly, why?

No, you simply fly (unclip) the windward part (the tack) and then pull on the sheet and it spills the wind and floats into the lee of the main. Then you ease the halyard and pull the sail in (douse it).


An assy flown without a pole has only one sheet and it takes only one winch to control. That's the point about assy sails. They are controlled just like jibs or genoas.


How big is the sail? I handle a 600sq ft kite easily, alone, windvane driving, me pulling the spinnaker down.


There are countless videos on youtube - have you looked at these?






b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:23   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

I believe these videos are self-explanatory. It is that simple. Nothing to it.








barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 13:26   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
Ease the sheet until the leach starts to curl at the top of the sail, when you are on a broader angle than a beam reach.

Can you expand on this a bit more?


On my boats, when I eased the sheet, the luff curled, not the leech!


Do you think I may have hoisted my kites inside-out?


barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 14:38   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bay of Islands New Zealand
Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Posts: 1,136
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No, you simply fly (unclip) the windward part (the tack) and then pull on the sheet and it spills the wind and floats into the lee of the main. Then you ease the halyard and pull the sail in (douse it).
Wow! The next time I have 6 people on my boat Iím going to try that.

Even the guy on his own in your next video had to wrestle the sail into his saloon in a huge pile of sailcloth. Then he would have to go down below and repack it into a bag, keeping the luff and the leach together so that next time it is launched, it goes up right. Also, his boat is little bigger than a dingy. My gennaker is twice that size.

Look, I know how thatís done. When I was young and stupid and raced boats for fun with a full crew on board, we did that many times in a race. We would use a large plastic funnel down below to feed the sail through and put elastic bands every 2 metres to enable us to get the sail up behind the main/jib long before the turn mark. Then as the boat turned around the mark, hauling the sheet out stretches the foot out and the wind fills the sail from the bottom, snapping the elastic bands like a zipper and instantly setting the sail. Nothing new here.

But today? On my own? Nah. Thereís no beating a snuffer to get a bag down and ďpackedĒ for the next launch. Combined snuff-repack-launch time is way better than blowing the tack and trying to manage the sail down below.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 15:13   #36
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 2,690
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Can you expand on this a bit more?

On my boats, when I eased the sheet, the luff curled, not the leech!

Do you think I may have hoisted my kites inside-out?

barnakiel
Barnakiel!

You are such a smartas$$!
(I love that about you.)

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 15:15   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Wow! The next time I have 6 people on my boat Iím going to try that.

Even the guy on his own in your next video had to wrestle the sail into his saloon in a huge pile of sailcloth. Then he would have to go down below and repack it into a bag, keeping the luff and the leach together so that next time it is launched, it goes up right. Also, his boat is little bigger than a dingy. My gennaker is twice that size.

Look, I know how thatís done. When I was young and stupid and raced boats for fun with a full crew on board, we did that many times in a race. We would use a large plastic funnel down below to feed the sail through and put elastic bands every 2 metres to enable us to get the sail up behind the main/jib long before the turn mark. Then as the boat turned around the mark, hauling the sheet out stretches the foot out and the wind fills the sail from the bottom, snapping the elastic bands like a zipper and instantly setting the sail. Nothing new here.

But today? On my own? Nah. Thereís no beating a snuffer to get a bag down and ďpackedĒ for the next launch. Combined snuff-repack-launch time is way better than blowing the tack and trying to manage the sail down below.

I see your boat 44', ours 26'. Absolutely I would like a snuffer or better yet a furler in any boat where the kite could pull me overboard.


Last time when we sailed a boat with a snuffer though I got (----) off no end by the whole batch hanging up there and now and then banging the mast - making comfortable sleep a near impossibility.


Is there any way to immobilise the hoisted snuffer? Or maybe get a snuffer with a soft edge? (ours was grp)


?


Btw it is true maybe I find this easy as I did this thousands of times. So much as I still mess up now and then, I have a pre-set kind of response for every single thing that can/will go wrong.



What I have never mastered (when dropping the kite alone) is how to avoid the halyard running out too fast. I wish I had some kind of device to adjust how fast the halyard runs. In my case, it quite often runs to fast and the kite touches the water. Especially when the wind gets above 25kts or thereabout. (Our topsides are only 2 ft, though, maybe that's why)



b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 15:36   #38
Registered User
 
wingssail's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Posts: 5,424
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
I have a 44' catamaran with a 4' bowsprit and a cruising asymmetrical spinnaker in a snuffer. I have not had a spinnaker on a previous boat. I have been having good success launching, retrieving and flying the spinnaker but I get the feeling I'm leaving a lot of performance on the table for lack of knowledge on how to trim it properly. Basically I just play with the sheet, and the tack line to a much lesser extent, to try to keep the sail full and stable.

My tack line is adjustable, but if there is much pressure in the sail I have no good way to do so at present as there is no purchase on it, just a clutch. I'm sure I could rig a couple blocks to take it to a winch if it is worth the effort.

Can someone enlighten me a bit and perhaps help me get from beginner to intermediate in terms of sail trim?
Trimming an asymmetrical spinnaker:

Reach up when setting the spinnaker so the wind fills it, then bear away.

Once flying, ease the sheet until the sail begins to curl at the luff, pull in, ease out. Continue.

Adjusting the tack line: (it should go to a winch)

Pull in harder when reaching, but not so hard that the luff becomes straight, the sail needs to have some curve in the luff.

Ease the sheet and tack line out when going down wind. The sail should float around the front of the boat to windward and into clear air. If you have a tack line to the windward bow you can shift to that line and move the sail to windward. very effective.

Take downs (without sock). Turn the boat downwind and pull sheet the in. The sail will collapse behind the mainsail. Person on the bow pulls the sail down into a bow hatch while second person eases the halyard. as the sail is about half way down, ease the tack line. Steer the boat to keep the collapsed spinnaker directly over the foredeck and behind the main. Be sure to stuff it into the bow hatch or it may blow off the boat into the water. Note: This does not take a racing crew or crazy young people, Judy and I do it, have done it for 35 years. You just get get on with it and do it. If it screws up (it will sometimes) you straighten it out and do it again next time, better.

Photos:
Click image for larger version

Name:	75-2432-Leading+edge.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	219282
#1 Assym trim, close reaching.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3822-Judy douses the spinnaker.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	219283
#2 one person dowse (this is with sym kite, but same way with assym.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	155826 Dowsing the Spinnaker.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	219284
#3 If you have more people it can be a lot of fun
__________________
For myself sailing is not a sedentary activity but a sport, an athletic one, others enjoy their boating in different ways and that's fine-Fred Roswold-SV Wings, Mexico https://wingssail.blogspot.com/
wingssail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 17:52   #39
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Barnakiel!

You are such a smartas$$!
(I love that about you.)

LittleWing77

You are too good!


hugs,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 18:54   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 469
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

By "blowing the tack line", I meant releasing it significantly (you can experiment by how much and mark the line so you can do it reliably), just make sure that your tack line is long enough so you can ease it as needed. The goal is to deflate the sail and "position" it behind the mainsail and ideally on top of the bag (sort to speak), so a crew can grab it and stuff it in easily.

If you just ease the sheet to deflate the sail, the clew will tend to get away from the crew, making their job difficult and unsafe. If you instead ease the tack line, it works much better, since the crew can hold on the sheet without re-powering the sail and recover the sail faster. Also, if you are turning closer to the wind as the sail is taken down, by easing the tack line, the sail will tend to get in the general direction of the bag as the halyard is released (if you really want to be fancy, by easing the proper amounts of both the sheet and the tack line, you deflate the sail and make the life of your crew very easy).

I have seen boats where they truly "blow the tack line" (meaning, they trip the shackle), but I do not understand why, since you have to send a crew to the bow to trip it, you lose control of the sail, and the sail can even twist as it is put back in the bag in a chaotic fashion.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 07:50   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,642
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Trimming an asymmetrical spinnaker:

Reach up when setting the spinnaker so the wind fills it, then bear away.

Once flying, ease the sheet until the sail begins to curl at the luff, pull in, ease out. Continue.

Adjusting the tack line: (it should go to a winch)

Pull in harder when reaching, but not so hard that the luff becomes straight, the sail needs to have some curve in the luff.

Ease the sheet and tack line out when going down wind. The sail should float around the front of the boat to windward and into clear air. If you have a tack line to the windward bow you can shift to that line and move the sail to windward. very effective.

Take downs (without sock). Turn the boat downwind and pull sheet the in. The sail will collapse behind the mainsail. Person on the bow pulls the sail down into a bow hatch while second person eases the halyard. as the sail is about half way down, ease the tack line. Steer the boat to keep the collapsed spinnaker directly over the foredeck and behind the main. Be sure to stuff it into the bow hatch or it may blow off the boat into the water. Note: This does not take a racing crew or crazy young people, Judy and I do it, have done it for 35 years. You just get get on with it and do it. If it screws up (it will sometimes) you straighten it out and do it again next time, better.

Photos:
Attachment 219282
#1 Assym trim, close reaching.
Attachment 219283
#2 one person dowse (this is with sym kite, but same way with assym.)
Attachment 219284
#3 If you have more people it can be a lot of fun
The beauty of a sock is that it protects the sail , when on deck and during the hoist , from the countless sharp edges and blocks on deck

The sock also allows you to strike the sail , and still keep the sail hoisted

Very valuable when the wind goes flat and you must motor for the next few miles or when threading thru shoals and a tight turn is needed
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:22   #42
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,412
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Yep.


two things mentioned but possibly worth re-saying:


1) when you blow the tack, do blow it, doing it half way makes for a very hard take down,
2) if it is very windy, avoid taking down from position ahead of the mast, take it down to a place aft of the shrouds (envelope take down is very good if your main is free footefd).



The kite must be completely depowered and when it is so, the take down is a piece of cake. In light winds the difference is negligible but in more wind you do not want to fight a billowing spinnaker.


b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 07:48   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Annapolis, MD
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 45
Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

@dougweibel:
We have a Leopard 40 cat and an asym spinnaker with sock, but no bowsprit, so it's similar to yours. If we're going to be on one jibe, we run the tack line to the windward bow. If we'll have to jibe, we run a tack line to both bows so we can shift the sail's tack to the windward side on the jibe. The bowsprit would be great for close reaching to broad reaching. Deeper angles may be better if the tack line goes to the windward bow. See what works for you.

You don't say you have problems with setting and dousing, so some of the below may be redundant.

The tack line needs to be adjustable so that you can let it out when downwind and trim it with the wind forward. The luff (leading edge) where the tack line attaches should be vertical when trimmed correctly. In general, slack the tack line when sailing deeper and trim it when heading up. The luff should be nearly curling. Slack the sheet until it curls, then trim slightly. Ref: the video Calif.Ted posted.

Tips for Cat asym spinnaker:

* The mainsail can't go out as far in a cat as on a monohull, so the deepest we've been able to go is 150 deg apparent wind angle (AWA). At 150 deg AWA or deeper causes the vortex from behind the main to wrap the spinnaker around the forestay. If a wrap happens, centerline the main, trim the spinnaker lines, and use the engines to spin the boat to unwrap it. (Yup, have had to do this.)

* If you want to go dead downwind, drop the main. However, running jibing angles will often provide better VMG at less than hull speed.

* Put the sock furling line through a block near the deck. When you furl the spinnaker, you're pulled down to the deck. You can also sit or kneel to pull the sock furling line. If you pull it directly, it has a tendency to lift you off the deck and you can quickly find yourself over the lifelines.

* Before bringing the sock down over the spinnaker, turn downwind slightly (150 deg AWA) to blanket the spinnaker behind the main, or unroll the genoa to take pressure out of the spinnaker. It makes it a *lot* easier to bring the sock down.
sailor1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asymmetric, cal, spinnaker

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale or Trade: Asymmetrical Spinnaker Randyonr3 Classifieds Archive 7 17-06-2010 07:53
For Sale: Asymmetrical Spinnaker with Pole Bright Eyes Classifieds Archive 11 29-03-2010 11:46
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Shape.... bluewater General Sailing Forum 3 25-03-2010 14:57
Asymmetrical / Screecher / Spinnaker - Oh My! - Which One for a Cat? Catsoon Multihull Sailboats 18 17-10-2009 20:37
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Sizing? bluewater General Sailing Forum 0 15-05-2008 09:56

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.