Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 17:33   #16

Re: How to trim an asymmetrical spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
My asymmetric “spinnaker” (I know it as a gennaker) has a non-adjustable tack line onto the anchor roller bracket that sets the tack a little way above the pulpit. I’m not sure that I understand the benefit of having this line adjustable.

I agree that the best draw from a gennaker is when the luff has a slight tendency to curl inwards. I used to fly my spinnakers (tri-radial, radial head) exactly the same way.

Your sheets should be long enough so that, when gibing the bag, you can let it all the way out the front of the boat and bring it in on the other side.

As far as gathering it in when dousing, it’s hard to beat a dousing sock to control the sail. Also much easier to wrestle it back into the sailbag.

An adjustable tack Makes your asymmetric more versatile ...by allowing you to use the spi pole to haul the tack aft

It also makes the socked asy easier to hoist

You bring the downhaul... tack line ,,,back
To the mast .. shackle into the tack ...hoist the socked sail in the lee of the mainsail ..,then winch the tack forward up the stem .. then set
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 13:46   #17

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
An adjustable tack Makes your asymmetric more versatile ...by allowing you to use the spi pole to haul the tack aft

It also makes the socked asy easier to hoist

You bring the downhaul... tack line ,,,back
To the mast .. shackle into the tack ...hoist the socked sail in the lee of the mainsail ..,then winch the tack forward up the stem .. then set
May I ask - what advantage does “hauling the tack aft” provide? In my apparently limited understanding, I use my gennaker for downwind sailing. I recall others suggesting that one can sail upwind using it like a code 0. Having a 135% genoa I’ve never seen the need.

When I deploy, I fasten the tack to a fixed length strop on the pulpit, run the clew back past the mast (sheet slack taken up), hoist the head to the top of the mast. When the sock is pulled up, the sail fills and it’s done. Just trim the sheet and we’re sailing. No need to set a pole with it’s up-haul (and down-haul?) or a line from the bow back to the winch with a turn block at the front. Sounds awfully labour intensive to me.

Note that when I set a gennaker it is generally because I intend to sail on that course for a day or more
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:00   #18

You are hoisting in the lee of the mainsail

without the added windage , many times you can hand over hand hoist the complete sail

Much easier .and it also allows you to inspect the hoisted sail for twist and control line fouls before you clip in the sheet and before the sail is exposed to the wind stream at the stem
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:12   #19

Sorry, don’t get the point. Hand-over-hand? You mean up the mast? Yes, that’s how I do it. Do you mean without a sock? Yes that’s eminently possible but then it’s much harder to douse without a sock especially if the wind pipes up. In the lee of the mainsail? Yes, of course, when that’s possible.

Still don’t get the pole, uphaul, downhaul, tack line, etc. How do you get the pole back? Another, 4th line? Sounds like you need 4 extra winches.

But most importantly, why?
Old 12-07-2020, 14:14   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Forget all this stuff about using a spin pole for an asymmetrical - I don't know one person who does that who is not a racer. The big selling point of an asym is that you don't need a pole to fly it - just tack it off the bow or a bowsprit. Adjustable tack is important to control how much "belly" the sail has depending on wind angle.

They really aren't that hard to fly and adjust while sailing - the harder part is setting the and dousing them, and for that I would recommend a sock if you find it too difficult.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Forget all this stuff about using a spin pole for an asymmetrical - I don't know one person who does that who is not a racer. The big selling point of an asym is that you don't need a pole to fly it - just tack it off the bow or a bowsprit. Adjustable tack is important to control how much "belly" the sail has depending on wind angle.

They really aren't that hard to fly and adjust while sailing - the harder part is setting the and dousing them, and for that I would recommend a sock if you find it too difficult.
Exactly
Old 12-07-2020, 14:27   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Also, keep in mind that asyms can be cut for different wind angles. This is one of mine I had made for reaching - in light air (10 knts or less) I can point to 50deg apparent and make better speed than with my 115% genoa.

In this photo you can see the tackline tighter for upwind sailing - about 60 degrees apparent angle. Here is where the adjustable tack is useful - if I fall off to a beam or a bit below, I can let out the tack and the belly will fill more (and luff will curve). Mine is setup so that I have the tackline run back to the cockpit and on to one of the jib winches (I have separate spinn winches).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	36450363_2019374701429919_5194497068856508416_o.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	219206  
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:17   #23

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

You want the leach to curl slightly for the best trim, not the luff.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:24   #24

How do you get the leach to curl?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:36   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
You want the leach to curl slightly for the best trim, not the luff.

Please expand. I am not clear here.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:48   #26

Ease the sheet until the leach starts to curl at the top of the sail, when you are on a broader angle than a beam reach.
Old 13-07-2020, 11:26   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Just trim it or steer to the luff curl. You'll figure that out as you sail it.

It's a give and take.

When racing single handed with a spinnaker, I would trim it in pretty tight then just steer by the curl .........without going too high

If sailing on a high speed downwind spinnaker run just remember to go low and not high to save the boat on a gust otherwise on a lightweight cat you'll pitch pole
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 11:28   #28

Thomm225,
It's not the luff, it's the leach.
Old 13-07-2020, 11:44   #29

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhpike View Post
Thomm225,
It's not the luff, it's the leach.
Maybe this will make it easier.

Sail by the curl on the leading edge of the sail/spinnaker. Just don't go too high which will give you too much curl.......it's a give and take but pretty simple once you get the hang of it.....

I would just steer to the desired curl I wanted .... but at 20 knots, it's best not to make a mistake especially if there are boats on either side of you
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 11:54   #30

Thomm225 is absolutely correct. I had my head up my a$$. Ease the sheet until the luff begins to curl up near the head of the sail.

Tags
asymmetric, cal, spinnaker