Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 11:00   #46

Re: How to keep mold out and the hull smelling good

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Personally I donít feel you can prevent mold on a boat. There is always places that stay damp and get no ventilation. But if you find and clean the hidden spots and spray it with mold presentation treatment it seems to last a while.
I live in NC where the heat and humidity are very high. Mold and mildew are a fact of life. A few years back I purchased a folding multihull that I was going to store on the hard. I was concerned about the mold so I asked if I could run an electrical cord to the boat for a dehumidifier. They told me to buy DampRid. It is available at Amazon, Walmart, West Marine, etc. I had 2 Ama and a main hull to protect. I bought 4 of their simple cups with the granules in them. I placed one in each Ama which is accessed through a normal deck hatch. I put to in the main hull. Every week I would check the cups and empty the moisture and refill if needed. Not once did I have any mold or mildew! In fact upon returning from an anchorage I put the dam anchor and rode in the Ama where it is normally stored. Two days later the inside of the Ama, anchor and rode were BONE DRY!

They make several different types of containers. They make the refillable cups, a hanging bag for closets and recently came out with a battery operated fan connected to a pouch with the DampRid in it. All containers are refillable and you can buy large bags of product for refilling the cups and pouches.

Cheap, easy and in works! What's not to like?

Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:01   #47
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, evaporating perspiration as well.

Some level of ventilation is absolutely required at all times if the living space's envelope is tightly sealed.

Necessary but in humid enough weather / climate, not sufficient.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:02   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giro View Post
Generally speaking, does our breath cause the production of more moisture accumulation within the cabin of a sailboat?
Yes, humans exhale a great deal of moisture. Other common causes are wet bilges, wet clothes, leaks, cooking and burning propane/ butane.

This moisture will raise the internal relative humidity and the moisture will condense on any surface where the temperature is below the dew point.

The effects are very easily and accurately predicted.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:59   #49

Aircon or a dedicated dehumidifier is the only really practicable way to avoid an environment that's conducive to the growth of mould in most boats especially if you live in a climate zone where the summers have an average humidity range of around 75% like in Queensland, Australia
Ralsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 14:38   #50

Boat: Hunter 38

I'm in the ventilate, ventilate, ventilate camp re the best preventative means to minimize mould.

Some of the posters have suggested cleaning solutions using tsp. That surprises me. I had used a solution containing tsp to clean the green algae off wooden decks at home here in the wet enviro of coastal BC until I discovered that the tsp was acting as feedstock for the next crop of algae to grow. So the tsp doesn't work the same way with mould?
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 17:45   #51

Noelex has suggested that we humans significantly contribute to the production of moisture in the cabins of our boats by breathing. I feel better knowing that because it is when we are away from our boat (which is often) there is less condensation and, thus, less I have to worry about it. Frankly, I was worried about what was happening when we weren’t there and what it would be like each time we return. Automatic bilge pump, ventilations and dehumidifiers aside, moisture is an enemy and I need all the creative ideas I can get to combat it. Thank you.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 20:46   #52

Boat: Rhodes 22

Humidity ranges above 60% are conducive to the growth of mold. And any time you get condensation, the chances of getting mold go up significantly regardless of the temperature of the air. I once had to do experiments in an inner cold room that was -20įC and it had mold all over which surprised me at that temperature. I assume it was dormant and grew whenever they raised the temperature for maintenance etc.

A boat in warm air but colder water increases the chance of condensation. Moving air helps reduce the chances of condensation partially from preventing temperature differences between objects and the air. Anything you do that keeps the humidity below 60% and prevents surface temperature below the dew point of the air forming will help prevent mold growth. There are some mildewcides that work well for preventing mold growth and are reasonably safe. I use one that is rated for use in HVAC systems in hospitals. From what people here are saying, sounds like Borax is a nice solution.
SpringHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 22:53   #53
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
This is true, but cold air is always dry.

It really helps to understand the physics.

Our bodies fool us into believing cold air is damp. It is actually dry. Cold air even if it has 100% relative humidity does not contain much moisture. The physics is quite simple, but it defies our common perception and belief. So a little like discovering the earth is round not flat it can be difficult to understand. Our eyes tell us the earth is flat and our skin tells us cold air is damp, but these are both wrong.
Which is warmer, the air or the water? If the air you draw in cools when it strike the hull... condensation. The extent of hull insulation or coring is also important.

Yes, I know my way around a psychometric chart.

This is not a question with a single answer, because it depends on local conditions, season, and design. The right answers for my last boat don't apply directly to my current boat. It depends.

Tags
hull, mold