Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 12:27   #16

Re: How to figure out if my tow vehicle has enough power?

The new Chapparral 310 hull has a wide beam of 10 feet [apparently even larger if an older 310, e.g., 10'6"] and stand tall with a bridge clearance of 10 feet, six inches and a draft [motor up] of two feet, one has to add the height of the trailer above the roadway, so one is likely pushing close to 13 to 14 feet tall on the trailer. Thailand road regulations limit for non-oversized load status for width is 2.5 meters / 8.2 feet and 4.2 meters [13.8 feet] tall so this boat will be oversized requiring permitting and special licensing to drive in country. In the USA and most every country moving this boat will require a companion pilot car with warning lights and OVERSIZED LOAD signage as it far exceeds the regulated standard width.

Considering the side mirrors of any towing vehicle need to be wider than the beam of the towed object, one is likely needing an 11 or 12 foot width for the side mirror extensions to see alongside the trailered Chapparral. So this becomes an extra wide load to haul.

This "Floating Resort" is way beyond the capabilities of a standard pickup like a F150 or any car, even far beyond the likes of my heavy duty 4WD Suburban or my Chevy 4X4 Silverado pickup which has a heavy duty trailering upgrade with extra coolers for transmission, motor oil and oversized coolantr radiator.

Get a professional to haul it where you want it.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 12:37   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Everything said. Just want to clearly state that your beemer has a hitch mounted to the under frame of the car. When the boat trailer hitch mounts onto the ball it imparts a certain weight to that ball. That is called tongue weight. Your car has enough power to move the boat short distances. But your car would not be able to handle the tongue weight of the boat and trailer. I know it might seem crazy to you but the front end of your car could become so light as to be perilous to drive. Think of it like a fulcrum. Big heavy person sitting on one end of the seasaw and your engine of the car being the little skinny kid at the other end of the seasaw.

All the other things like overheating etc apply. The next problem is something you never want to experience. On a boat ramp... putting a boat in the water is one thing. Taking a boat out of the water is a whole different animal. Ramps are steep by design. They are wet. They frequently have moss or other slimy conditions. I have experienced situations with my old twin engine 30 foot cabin cruiser where my V8 ford truck couldn't pull that sucker up the ramp. Had to get another truck with toe chain attached to my front toe hooks to get the job done.

With your beemer there is zero chance you could get that boat up a ramp that was wet and steep.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 12:40   #18

Picture below is of a 1997 Chapparral 310 being towed by a very heavy duty, four door, dual rear wheel pickup, I believe the make of the truck is a Chevy but not certain.

The Chapparral 310 stands very tall, one really needs to pay keen attention to height clearance and this vessel/trailer combination is massively longer, wider and heavier than the huge pickup truck. The comparatively pintsized BMW sedan would be dwarfed by this boat and trailer.

Arghhh, the weblink to the photo will not post. It is https://www.popyachts.com/express-cr...ouisiana-74769
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 13:17   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabi Sunset View Post
I just bought a Chaparral 310 Signature. She weights 10,600 lbs dry.

I currently drive a 2005 BMW 730: Power is supplied by a double overhead camshaft, 3 litre/liter naturally aspirated 6 cylinder engine, with 4 valves per cylinder that develops power and torque figures of 254.5 bhp (258 PS/190 kW) at 6600 rpm and 300 N·m (221 lb·ft/30.6 kgm) at 2500-4000 rpm respectively.

A 6 speed automatic transmission transfers the power to the rear wheels.

It's claimed weight (car) at the kerb is 4045 lbs.

I am not in the USA, so I do not have to follow any laws about the width of the tow vehicle vs. the trailer/boat. All I need to know is will I be able to tow that much weight with the motor I have?
Power would not seem to be a problem. just don't let the tail sag the dog.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 13:32   #20

Boat: C&C 34+

Good advice so far, Don't know where you are but if it's anywhere near Alberta, I could have a solution for you - a GM/Isuzu 3 ton highway tractor, with a 6 cyl, Isuzu turbo diesel, 5 speed main tranny, 2 spd axle, air over hydraulic brakes , exhaust brake which can hold an 18,000 lb. boat with trailer on an 8% grade, 60,000 km original. I bought it to haul a 12,500 lb keelboat through the BC mountains and while only 160 hp, it worked like a charm and while a bit slow hauling up the hills it can haul at110 km on the flat
It has pintle, 5th wheel, 2-5/16" ball and 2" receiver hitches.
403 652 7449
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 14:44   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroc View Post
Good advice so far, Don't know where you are but if it's anywhere near Alberta, I could have a solution for you - a GM/Isuzu 3 ton highway tractor, with a 6 cyl, Isuzu turbo diesel, 5 speed main tranny, 2 spd axle, air over hydraulic brakes , exhaust brake which can hold an 18,000 lb. boat with trailer on an 8% grade, 60,000 km original. I bought it to haul a 12,500 lb keelboat through the BC mountains and while only 160 hp, it worked like a charm and while a bit slow hauling up the hills it can haul at110 km on the flat
It has pintle, 5th wheel, 2-5/16" ball and 2" receiver hitches.
403 652 7449
The trailer would need a very long tongue, Thailand.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 15:10   #22

I used to use a little Honda van to move powerboats around the yard. Maybe 100 metres of towing with one right angle turn, towing a 14,000 lb performance racer. I had to go like 5 km/h or it would become extremely hard to control.
TernEggs is offline   Reply With Quote