Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 20:02   #1

How strong is the bulkhead between my V-berth and head?

I am trying to mount a TV on the wall in the V birth on moody 425. I am wanting to mount something like this. I am open to other mounts this is just the one I had left over from when we moved out of our house. The mirror in the head is right on the other side of the wall so my plan was to run a couple of bolts through from that side (so they are flush behind the mirror). I would imagine this would be more than strong enough but I am pretty new to boat construction so I figured I’d ask you guys first.

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Monitor-...%2C143&sr=8-21
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2022, 22:19   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How strong is the bulkhead between my v birth and head?

How long is the lever arm and what is the weight of the TV? It looks long to me, and the weight hanging out at the end will put a lot of force on the two bolts you propose. I'd feel especially concerned in a rambunctious seaway. If there's a way, put a backing plate to spread the loads.

All the boats we've owned have had at least 1/2" thick marine ply bulkheads.

Ann
Old 23-07-2022, 11:57   #3

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: How strong is the bulkhead between my V-berth and head?

Is there something other than simple friction to hold the screen and arm closed? You do not want to go over a big powerboat wake and hear the arm extending and the screen hitting the cabintop a couple of times.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2022, 12:34   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Nuru Just about the coolest craziest TV bracket people and the bang and Olufsen dealership in England. You’ve seen those TVs floating about on strange arms or popping up out of furniture are likely made by STB. It’s a B&O Dealer and mad cyclist who developed a separate company specifically for TVs speakers and other audio. Call or hit their Web site. The bracket your looking for spread the weight down the wall rather than yanks on 3-4 holes.
They make a very cool bracket which hold a toshiba 4K DVD CD fits several Bang and Olufsen TVs and some Samsung’s and a universal. Only the CD pops up vertical so it’s hidden. A B&O TV is about 6X the weight of a Samsung so STB brackets are amazing.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 08:10   #5

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

Seriously? In the best case it would just snap off in any kind of seaway; worst case it would bang around for a while and do all sorts of damage, and maybe injure somebody. You're asking for trouble with anything but a flush mount.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 11:22   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

How big a TV and why do you want an arm mount?

In our 1985 Catalina 30, we put a 24" 12V TV behind a door on the cabin wall. The mount is screwed into a piece of oak epoxied to the inside of the hull.
Works fine, is secure and out of sight when the door is closed. I ran RG-6 coax to the cockpit where I can connect an antenna (Use our boat hook as an antenna mast). Also put an HDMI connector over the hanging locker where the Apple TV and Blu-Ray play are, so no cables are visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabin - Mount and TV.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	261488   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG6 and Ethernet Connections.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	261489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Up.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	438.2 KB
ID:	261490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Mount.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	261491  

OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 11:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
I am trying to mount a TV on the wall in the V birth on moody 425. I am wanting to mount something like this. I am open to other mounts this is just the one I had left over from when we moved out of our house. The mirror in the head is right on the other side of the wall so my plan was to run a couple of bolts through from that side (so they are flush behind the mirror). I would imagine this would be more than strong enough but I am pretty new to boat construction so I figured I’d ask you guys first.

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Monitor-...%2C143&sr=8-21
Hey Nuru
I have a 42" Samsung flat screen tv made a backing plate slightly taller than the TV 2 heavy duty hinges at the top and if needed I can secure the tv against the ceiling works great
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 12:10   #8

Nuru05:

Your problem is not going to be the bulkhead. Round headed machine screws through metal backing plates on each side of 1/2" ply with nuts squeezing it all together so the threaded ends of the bolts become studs will be more than strong enuff to carry the weight of any TV I can think of.

Shim out the mirror to accommodate the bolt heads.

HOWEVER: The "arm" that is part of what you say you intend to use will be far, far from able to carry the weight of even a moderately heavy TV in any kind of weather when the boat rolls and pitches. When alongside or at anchor it may suffice, but if you are going to accept such a restriction you still have to ensure that the TV itself can be secured to the bulkhead itself (taking the weight off the arm) so the arm doesn't have carry the very considerable forces of acceleration and deceleration that will be generated in a seaway.

As MySaintedMother was wont to council me: "Build it so it can take the weight of a well-grown man thrown against it in a seaway!"

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 12:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

I don't allow any sleeping or extended lounging in the V-berth while underway, especially at night. As Clint Eastwood would say, "Do you trust your collision bulkhead.... well do ya punk."
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 12:42   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

As stated by others, the mount looks good enough if you are on anchor, I would find a way to secure it underway. New TVs are Very light which is good except that the “light” comes from cheap construction, lots of plastic.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 13:44   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

STB make master full linear flush mounts.
It’s more likely a Corian Counter top break loose and go slash about that a couple pounds of TV tearing a linear mount out.
They don’t make stuff full of dumb assumptions. Their stuff doesn’t rust either.
Can’t hurt to ask them.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head