Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 09:32   #241

Boat: 1984 Jeanneau Attalia
Re: How seriously is the 2M dumping policy enforced? (Yet another poo question)

Have your head pumped out properly! Would you like someone crapping on your front step.

In Boot Key Harbour, they have regular "Head" inspections by the CG....if you are not legal you pay a huge fine......and that doesn't include the reaction you most definitely get from the other cruisers.

Old 14-02-2020, 09:43   #242

It's enforced when they board your boat, which can be federal or local law enforcement. If you are in U.S. waters the dump valve is to be disabled. Would you intentionally dump fuel or oil into the water?

Old 14-02-2020, 09:43   #243
Are you serious?

Boat: Hunter 410

Oh thats just poo
Old 14-02-2020, 10:47   #244

Boat: Marine Trader, Walkaround, 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Reasons:
  1. Because of where. Boaters often congregate in areas of shallow, slack, quiet water. Often that spot is being used for other recreation - kayaks, SUPs, swimmers, etc. Macerated, treated or not, it shouldn't be ok to dump in those areas.
  2. It's all well and good to say you have "proper" sewage treatment aboard... how to prove this, and that it's being maintained properly? Annual inspection/test with a sticker? Does LEO now need to be able to tell what type system a boat has and whether it's working correctly?
  3. Some legislation - eg some NDZ declarations - are the easiest way to close a Clean Water Act loophole that permits commercial dumping. It means prohibiting everyone (except military of course) from dumping. Not always the right tool, but it does the job til the CWA is amended.
Of course no reasonable person is going to run their system in the kind of areas quoted in 1. above. As to point number .2, if there is any reason to suspect that the system is not working, simply flush and take a water sample and submit to analysis. Better than just assuming the system is not working. As to point .3 I am fine with an NDZ if truly needed, as my system is a "hold and treat" system, so I can hold for reasonable lengths of time, and have done so in NDZ's in FL. If zero discharge is the final goal, then providing year round pump-out stations should be a simultaneous goal, and nearly every one that I have seen has been problematic and sporadic in terms of functionality. Correct that first.
Old 14-02-2020, 11:10   #245

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerman View Post
Of course no reasonable person is going to run their system in the kind of areas quoted in 1.
Most laws aren't for reasonable people, they're for the idiots (and their non-boater guests) who would.

Quote:
As to point number .2, if there is any reason to suspect that the system is not working, simply flush and take a water sample and submit to analysis. Better than just assuming the system is not working.
The point is, it's one extra thing that law enforcement would need to take into account during a boarding, if you're going to carve out an exception here. I suspect they'd make it a permit thing so the boarding officer just has to look for a sticker, and now you're getting an annual inspection and paying a fee to get that sticker.
Old 14-02-2020, 12:00   #246
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Personally I don't understand how they can designate an area as NDZ but the city is still slowed to discharge treated sewage . Why not allow shipboard systems to do the same thing .
Old 14-02-2020, 12:20   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
With a cruising permit yes. You have to check in at every jurisdiction you pass through and and tell them how long you intend to stay and if you stay longer it’s a good idea to let them know. If you don’t you could be forced to cough up a cool 6k minimum. Funny part is generally when you call in to report 80% of the officers think it’s as stupid a practice as you and I do but it’s best to comply should you find yourself on the short end of that stick

Except things are totally uneven between areas of the States. Your reply was to a poster's experience in Alaska. Here in southwestern BC we visit the San Juan Islands and Washington State often. Once one obtains a (yearly renewable) cruising permit, one does NOT have to check-in anywhere else AT ALL.

Dumbf*ckery to have to do so in Alaska.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 14-02-2020, 12:28   #248

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I work for the Solid Waste Division of a Florida Country. FWC does random checks on boats of all types to insure compliance. Get busted and its a big fine. Fish poop doesn't have the pathogens that human excrement does and needs to be kept out of coastal estuaries that are already struggling with outdated septic systems and agricultural runoff. If you care about the marine environment you will comply but it seems to me you just want someone to tell you it's fine to do. Good luck with that.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Old 14-02-2020, 13:01   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Personally I don't understand how they can designate an area as NDZ but the city is still slowed to discharge treated sewage . Why not allow shipboard systems to do the same thing .

...Because more is not good?

Also, it's far easier to ensure compliance and proper treatment of waste from shore-side municipalities than from random ships.
Old 14-02-2020, 13:22   #250
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Also, it's far easier to ensure compliance and proper treatment of waste from shore-side municipalities than from random ships.
that's why fishing and shellfish grounds are always getting closed near waste treatment facilities due to sewage and there are no fines levied.( at least here )

" because the rainwater runoff overwhelmed the system"
Make our type 1 systems part of an annual inspection .

Also by saying shipboard I am referring to all boat based systems . Btw compliance is not that difficult to control .

( disclaimer I have a composting head )
Old 14-02-2020, 13:50   #251

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I guess every bit of sh@t helps. I love oysters and called wildlife as to why the beautiful racks at the head of my creek were closed. It was wildlife run off from the National Forest. across the ICW the oysters were the best you can eat. So it must be a matter of water flow.
That said I don't think a couple pf turds would make a difference. Not advocating indiscrimenent discharge but there are many reasons for pollution.
Old 14-02-2020, 14:00   #252

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenblitch View Post
We've all seen the one car barreling down the highway spewing huge amounts of noxious and destructive fumes from its tailpipe. That one car can undo the benefits of modern technology in hundreds of cars. Don't be that one car, or that one boater. It's as simple as that.
You have this exactly backwards. USEPA standards for the majority of municipal sewage treatment systems (i.e. hundreds of millions of US residents) is treatment up to secondary standards - i.e. removal of 85-90% of all suspended solids.
The proper analogy IMO is you (a boater) riding on the shoulder of a road on
your power-assisted bicycle, while the road itself is filled with exhaust spewing commuter buses, highway department dumptrucks spewing black diesel exhaust because they have “emergency” exemptions, high powered police cruisers barreling down the road in a hurry to get to their favorite doughnut shop.
You on your bicycle stop for a cigarette or herb of choice, and suddenly you are surrounded by LEO for the crime of air pollution.

No argument at all that we need to pay strict attention to laws - and there are plenty of situations where even if there are no laws, being a good steward
of the environment and a good neighbor (i.e. crowded, shallow anchorage) should make think once, twice and thrice on your own actions, but the US 3-mile rule for recreational boats is not based on much, if any, science at all.

There is simply no excuse to not use pump out stations at all where they are available and operational. If you are at a marina, use the plumbed-in marina toilets.
Let’s not, however, accept being scapegoats for water quality issues when in fact we most often are the proverbial drop in the Olympic sized swimming pool.
Old 14-02-2020, 14:00   #253

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

In Nova Scotia , there are no pumpout facilities south of the Lahave River, or east of Halifax, other than the Bras d'Or Lakes, none, period. One day of heavy rain over the Bras d'Or lakes produces more raw sewage from the overloaded system in Baddeck than every boat in the place collectively does in a hundred years. Overflows from municipal sewage systems and agricultural run off outnumber that from boats by about 10 million to one.. The fish farms in Shelburne harbour produce more sewage than a small town, and it is completely untreated. If you are bothered by this, use an electroscan or composting toilet. Except in really confined spaces, like 1000 boats in a marina, science does not support the belief that boats are a problem.
Old 14-02-2020, 14:08   #254
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:

Then why does not your own city address it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...port-1.4903327
Old 14-02-2020, 14:16   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Then why does not your own city address it.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...port-1.4903327

They are making some progress. Should be a higher priority, though.

But hope springs eternal. Even Victoria will be finally treating their sewage starting later this year.

Closed Thread